Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Independent Student - SUSI Grant

• 27-08-2018 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi there,

I'm applying for the SUSI grant as a mature Independent student.

One of the criteria is evidence of independent residence. No problem I thought, I've been living independently for the past years.

However looking at the criteria, it seems its not so simple. I have no SUSI acceptable bills in my name in the house, it was not done through an agency and I haven't been in receipt of any social welfare payments. The only way then I can prove I was independent according to the SUSI criteria is showing my tenancy was registered with the RTB.

I checked the rental address online and its showing as registered, but when I rang the RTB it says although the address is registered, I am not registered as a tenant!!

Now I feel like I'm stuck in no-man's land and have been advised to look at re-applying as a dependent student, which seems very unfair as I'm not dependent and haven't been in years. I have been fully financing myself and without this grant may not be able to take my course place this year.

Anyone any experience with this in the past? I've paid by bank transfer to the landlord so there's a trail here and have e-mail correspondence etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Hi there,

I'm applying for the SUSI grant as a mature Independent student.

One of the criteria is evidence of independent residence. No problem I thought, I've been living independently for the past years.

However looking at the criteria, it seems its not so simple. I have no SUSI acceptable bills in my name in the house, it was not done through an agency and I haven't been in receipt of any social welfare payments. The only way then I can prove I was independent according to the SUSI criteria is showing my tenancy was registered with the RTB.

I checked the rental address online and its showing as registered, but when I rang the RTB it says although the address is registered, I am not registered as a tenant!!

Now I feel like I'm stuck in no-man's land and have been advised to look at re-applying as a dependent student, which seems very unfair as I'm not dependent and haven't been in years. I have been fully financing myself and without this grant may not be able to take my course place this year.

Anyone any experience with this in the past? I've paid by bank transfer to the landlord so there's a trail here and have e-mail correspondence etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    Is a sworn affadavit not deemed as acceptable?

Advertisement