Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting a promotion due to age - is this right?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I was going for a promotion this year and was told I was on track for it. However, I was subsequently told I didn't get it. I was disappointed by it and wanted to know the reasons why as I had felt I was doing well and had got feedback to that effect. The key message I was given was "other candidates are older than you and more experienced" and was also told "look how well you are doing in your career already at your age". I was not impressed as you can imagine, I felt I was performing better than some of the others going for promotion. If I wasn't, then surely that should have been the reason for not getting promoted. I get that more experience is a valid point, but when you bring age into it, surely that isn't right? I'm not really sure where I stand or what I should do? I'm thinking of arranging a further meeting with the boss (above the person who told me I didn't get the promotion) and letting them know what I was told, as I'm confident they don't know what reasons I was told. 
    I'm looking for a bit of guidance / thoughts on the above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Functionally, this is a breach of the equal status act, you cannot be turned down for a promotion because of your age.

HOWEVER, this is most likely just a slip of the tongue on the part of the person who said it. Going legal on this would be a great way to torpedo your career. Someone who is considerably younger than the average for a given career level will often be overlooked on two counts:

1. Because they may have the technical expertise, but may be lacking the general "soft skills" experience that higher roles require
    2. Because the people lower on the rung may be less likely to respect you or your opinion.

The latter is not OK, but companies have to take this into account when promoting people.

I would say that a meeting with your boss is a good start; in that you're genuinely unsure of what you needed to do to get the role and you're looking for "next steps" guidance. "Look how well you've advanced at your age" is a condescending brush-off.

If you get on well with your boss he may be honest with you and advise you that the next step in your career is in another company. Or he may fight your corner and look at other options for you in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I agree completely with Seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

I agree completely with OMM 0000.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sage advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They might have said age but actually meant maturity. Which as Seamus said could be soft skills but could also be making better considered decision making. Often less experienced less mature people make rash decisions and don't consider the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

sternn wrote: »
    The key message I was given was "other candidates are older than you and more experienced"

Highlighted the important bit for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’re presumably still on track. It hasn’t passed you by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps it maybe as Seamus said you need to move somewhere else. Somewhere that doesn't have a glut of more experienced people ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s sound advice you’ve been given op, yes it could be better worded but the sentiment probably holds right.

Advertisement