Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing Internet on office machine

Options
  • 27-08-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 machine provided by my employer. It is an encrypted machine and I can access Internet at work place only.

Is there any way to access Internet at my home using WiFi?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 machine provided by my employer. It is an encrypted machine and I can access Internet at work place only.

Is there any way to access Internet at my home using WiFi?

Any help is appreciated.

Get your employer's permission and have them set it up for you.
    Otherwise you are breaking their security measures.

You could try booting it from a LiveUSB of a Linux distro and get on line with that (if it is allowed to boot).

With that you could surf without accessing or storing anything on the HDD in the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Get your employer's permission and have them set it up for you.
    Otherwise you are breaking their security measures.

You could try booting it from a LiveUSB of a Linux distro and get on line with that (if it is allowed to boot).

With that you could surf without accessing or storing anything on the HDD in the PC.

If you're not familiar with doing this I wouldn't risk it.

Also linux live distros will mount the hard drive so you can read/write to that which could cause privacy concerns.

Best bet is to go to your local IT and get them to give you these permissions (as already mentioned).

verycool wrote: »
    If you're not familiar with doing this I wouldn't risk it.

Also linux live distros will mount the hard drive so you can read/write to that which could cause privacy concerns.

Best bet is to go to your local IT and get them to give you these permissions (as already mentioned).

The live distros should not mount the drive partitions ...... but now that you mentioned it I recall getting very angry with an Ubuntu liveCD some years ago, after I had read in their blurb that "it does not touch the hdd", yet it did access the drive automatically, long before it got to a desktop too!
    So one would need to be careful in choosing a distro to use if going down that route, else unplug the HDD every time you wanted to boot with a LiveUSB.

In any case it is deliberately bypassing the owner's security measures which is a definite no-no.

The live distros should not mount the drive partitions ...... but now that you mentioned it I recall getting very angry with an Ubuntu liveCD some years ago, after I had read in their blurb that "it does not touch the hdd", yet it did access the drive automatically, long before it got to a desktop too!
    So one would need to be careful in choosing a distro to use if going down that route, else unplug the HDD every time you wanted to boot with a LiveUSB.

In any case it is deliberately bypassing the owner's security measures which is a definite no-no.

Ubuntu, Peppermint, Lubuntu, Mint, Zorin and Kali automatically mount the hard drive as far as I remember. (I like to distro hop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Basically the local IT person said it's against their policy and I can't access any internet outside of my work place.

• Advertisement

Basically the local IT person said it's against their policy and I can't access any internet outside of my work place.

Annoying and kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, but can't argue with that!

Suppose the silver lining is that you don't take your work home with you.

That was expected.

Solution ..... leave the laptop at work and get your own laptop for acceessing the internet from home and elsewhere.

Thanks to all.

I just thought maybe there may be a way out, but no :P

Well, need to save money now for home pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

You can try to circumvent the security policies enforced by the IT dept. You probably should not as it could lead to disciplinary measures if they found out.

But IT dept policy is usually written down, you may have a copy of it, or a link to it. Review and if there is no specific rule against using the laptop at home to access internet, then just approach the service desk and ask it it allowed.

They may have certain types of websites filtered at work, eg gambling,piracy, adult etc, and if they allow you to use the machine at home these sites would not be filtered. this means if you access an infected website at home you could bring the infection into work. Same with if you access email like hotmail or gmail. they may have gone to great lengths to secure the company email but then you circumvent that by going to your gmail & opening something.

no harm in asking, but read the acceptable use/computer policy 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

verycool wrote: »
    Ubuntu, Peppermint, Lubuntu, Mint, Zorin and Kali automatically mount the hard drive as far as I remember. (I like to distro hop!)

The Tails distro won't mount the local HDD
    https://tails.boum.org/

• Advertisement

Please see the attached picture.

Machine is connected to home WiFi, no problem. It shows Internet access available. But when I try to open Google.ie it gives the above error.

I feel if I change some proxy or access point I will get success.

Any thoughts?

Please see the attached picture.

Machine is connected to home WiFi, no problem. It shows Internet access available. But when I try to open Google.ie it gives the above error.

I feel if I change some proxy or access point I will get success.

Any thoughts?

Doing this is even more dangerous than using a Live distro, because the security/encryption has been removed for you to use it.

At least using a Live distro, even if it attempted to mount the partitions, would be dealing with an encrypted drive which it could not read or write to.

I must emphasise that should you bypass the company's security policy that is likely an immediate sackable offence, and you would have no leg to stand on.

Is it worth gambling your job to use that machine on your home internet connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Don't risk it OP! its not worth it if its just for surfing the web you might be able to get something cheap om line and surf using your tv as a screen. or just save up and get a cheap laptop

Ok, i give it up now.
    Thanks for the advice

Advertisement