Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chickens roaming free

• 27-08-2018 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭

What are the options for chickens roaming free and protecting them from the Fox.

We’ve no dog, and there’s no shooting about at all, is there any practical way to have chickens out and about and keep the fox away ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Put them in at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Mine are loose,but they put themselves to bed in the shed at night and I shut the door for them until morning.
    Having said that,we have had a few taken over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fox took one from the back garden at 3:30pm, my daughter had just come in and she saw him taking the chicken.

Not just a nighttime problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Put up an electric fence enclosure that you can move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ours are roaming free all day & they pack their feather up & tuck themselves into their house each night & we close it.
    Pine Marten & foxes around here so to keep them away we leave the radio going 24/7 in the slatted shed. Helps to keep the cows used to strange voices too. Doesn't need to be all that loud, just enough for us to hear the news is enough for it to carry on the air & scare predators away.

• Advertisement

Ours are roaming free all day & they pack their feather up & tuck themselves into their house each night & we close it.
    Pine Marten & foxes around here so to keep them away we leave the radio going 24/7 in the slatted shed. Helps to keep the cows used to strange voices too. Doesn't need to be all that loud, just enough for us to hear the news is enough for it to carry on the air & scare predators away.
    Hadn’t thought of a radio, good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We've a good lot of various fowl here, free running on near an acre. We have the perimeter fenced with electric wire on the white plastic stakes. I think there's 6 or 7 runs of wire.
    Internally we have some subdivisions with proprietary poultry netting. It's electrified too. We bought two 50 m rolls lately for €100 a roll.

I keep a mink trap set at the perimeter at all times and have caught a good bit in it.

On a related note, get yourself a treadle feeder. The hens get used to it quickly and you'll have no loses or spoiled food to vermin, birds or the weather. Get one that hold a 20 k bag of food and you'll only have to top it up the odd time. Great job if you're away caravaning a weekend or the like :-)

So far Mr Fox is our only enemy, id love to give the chickens a bigger space so we could have a few more.

Advertisement