Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STREETS OF RAGE 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Whats still in its box?

If you want to buy digital go on your playstation, make an account and buy it on the PlayStation store. I think physical release of this game comes in about 3 months from now :confused:

If you want to play online co-op then you will most likely need a PS+ account

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

FFVII wrote: »
    Noob here, save me time plz.

How do I get this?

I bought PS4 a year ago especially for FFVII Remake (which is on its way, yeee).

Do I need playstation plus?

I make an account on the PS4 somewhere, it's still in its box, I never even took it out?

You will need a psn account for the download version, which can be bought here
    There will be a limited disc release, orders for which will close next week on https://limitedrungames.com/search?type=product,page&q=Streets%20of%20rage* this will not arrive until July at the earliest.

You will not need to subscribe to PS+ to play unless you want to play online co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Might be unpopular opinion here but It looks meh tbh

Nothing really to reinvent the franchise

It's based on nostalgia and I enjoyed the old games at the time

I highly recommend you take a look at Digital Foundry's analysis on all 4 games, where it shows this is more than just for nostalgia

I think this game stands on its own two feet as a solid, modern beat-em up that's done right.

Just beat the first level and it really is very very good. I decided to try the new character Cherry. There is alot of diversity in how you attack compared to the older games which were pretty basic. So far i have discovered, juggles, wall bounces into juggles, move cancels, combo cancels into other attacks, grapples from standing and jumping grapples and powering up moves then releasing them after you execute another move to combo them. It really does feel like a fighting game -lite

The graphics also look amazing. The first trailer didn't sell me on the art style but after playing the game it feels so smooth and looks beautiful. Reminds me of a comic book in motion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They added a massive amount of post processing effects since the first trailer. The first trailer looked so flat and dull to me but it really pops now and the characters feel like they belong in the environment instead of looking like they are floating in it.

• Advertisement

Wanted to start over on the highest difficulty so i tested out the other 3 characters, none of them can run :confused: Am i missing something here? Only Cherry can run and going from playing Cherry to one of the others makes the game feel somewhat clunky and slow.

This is kind of disappointing. Maybe its a balance choice that i will notice when i play through with another character.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have no nostalgia for SoR and little love for the beat 'em up as a genre, but always curious about well-received retro revivals so gave the first two levels a quick whirl there via Game Pass. Maybe it's just using Cherry as a newly designed character (when all else fails, just give a character a guitar!) but it definitely plays very well and smoothly. Love the animations on the dudes casually strutting with their hands in their pockets :) Cutscenes (well, still images with text over them) are where the game feels and looks fairly low-budget, but where it counts 'tis is a looker.

As said, no big fan of the genre so this is a curiosity for me as opposed to something I'll fall head over heels for - but what it does, it does well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Wanted to start over on the highest difficulty so i tested out the other 3 characters, none of them can run :confused: Am i missing something here? Only Cherry can run and going from playing Cherry to one of the others makes the game feel somewhat clunky and slow.

This is kind of disappointing. Maybe its a balance choice that i will notice when i play through with another character.

Don’t forget you can run and roll with the SOR3 characters as well (plus SOR2 Skate can run).

At least it's free on gamepass for PC! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

At least it's free on gamepass for PC! :)

That is good, gamepass were not promoting the game on their front page so glad I came across this post.

Edit: just played it there and it is fast and fun, something felt off about the controls until I found Legacy mode and now things feel the way they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Well. This is fun. Really enjoying it, cherry is really powerful considering she's not as strong. Fan favourite Axel is slow and cumbersome. Got beat by the first boss using him but smashed through it all with Cherry. Strange feeling that.

Having a ball though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Is it just me or is this fairly ****ing difficult? I’m playing on easy with Axel but got a game over in the
    Chiefs office
    in chapter 2. Axel is definitely feeling the years in this, very slow and impossible to avoid attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Was checking the livestream on the steam page and noticed your one playing it wasn't sprinting or rolling. Figured she was just new to the game. Turns out... there is no sprint or roll! It's fair enough if they didn't want to break new ground in terms of gameplay but to actually regress is unacceptable. One of the steam user reviews even mention this. What a disappointment. Dropped.

I'll just continue with the remake for the low cost of €0

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is this fairly ****ing difficult? I’m playing on easy with Axel but got a game over in the
    Chiefs office
    in chapter 2. Axel is definitely feeling the years in this, very slow and impossible to avoid attacks.
    Axel is useless.
    Floyd is best for me just bulldoze through it all.
    Its a lot of fun I was a huge fan of streets of rage 2. So the double tap on a direction and attack button still works. In normal and pretty easy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Was checking the livestream on the steam page and noticed your one playing it wasn't sprinting or rolling. Figured she was just new to the game. Turns out... there is no sprint or roll! It's fair enough if they didn't want to break new ground in terms of gameplay but to actually regress is unacceptable. One of the steam user reviews even mention this. What a disappointment. Dropped.

I was surprised there was no run and even more shocked you could not dodge as part 3 had both of these, Personally I did not find it too hard on Normal with Axel but I am used to these kind of games.

You sound like comic book guy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There is a sprint.. Ive been using it all evening :confused::confused:

There is a sprint.. Ive been using it all evening :confused::confused:
    Not all characters have it (unlike 3 and Remake) and there's still no roll.

Near the bone on the inside of my middle finger on my left hand has become red and tender from playing this all day :pac: Its because im moving with the D-Pad instead of the left stick and i seem to press down that bit harder to move so im kind of deathgripping the controller.

7 hours players today, think ill give it a break tomorrow and let my poor finger heal up:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

played co op with a mate online last night and blitzed it, well worth its plaudits. Now to start getting the unlockables.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only got time to play the first stage last night.

Soundtrack is good but not a patch on the originals.

However it feels.... right. They really nailed the fell of the game. Was worried they wouldn't but I'm so happy they proved me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played this morning in bed on the Switch. Game over at the end of stage 1. :(
    I need practice.

Great game though. Good luck finishing arcade mode on one credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

recyclops wrote: »
    played co op with a mate online last night and blitzed it, well worth its plaudits. Now to start getting the unlockables.

Tried online co op last night and the performance was not great. Both of us have good internet speeds and both on wired connections. Got to stage 5 before it completely crapped out.

The developers acknowledged the online needs fixing and are working on it.

I think I'll get Fight N' Rage instead, seems superior. Might pick this up when it's on sale.

I think I'll get Fight N' Rage instead, seems superior.

It's really not. This is way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think I'll get Fight N' Rage instead, seems superior. Might pick this up when it's on sale.

That made me smile anyway, it’s just I’m so used to my young lad asking can he buy games which usually cost the guts of €60. In the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to pick up Mortal Kombat 11 for €40, and now Streets of Rage for €25? Bargain gaming already! :D

On this game itself, yeah it’s been mentioned already that the soundtrack isn’t quite up to par. The music in SOR2 had much more ‘atmosphere’? The bosses at the end of each level aren’t up to much either, it could be because it’s 30 years later but I remember the end of level bosses being far more intimidating in the originals (SOR 1 & 2, I don’t even rate 3).

The artwork is fantastic, comic book style, like what they wanted the original to be if the technology had been available at the time. It’s an update that stays very true to the original in terms of game mechanics, which is commendable IMO because they could have been tempted to do a lot more, but they kept it simple.

We got as far as level 5, I liked the
    car crashing into the wall, woke us up a bit!
    but I’m wondering are there elements missing like
    the motorbikes, and the elevator level with the wrestler at the end

Hours of fun though :D

Edit: Speaking of retro gaming, why does Boards feel like I’m connected with a 56k modem? :confused:

In the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to pick up Mortal Kombat 11 for €40, and now Streets of Rage for €25? Bargain gaming already! :D

How about the bargain of €0? That's what 4 is competing with. So I don't see the need to spend even +€25 for less features and worse music. Online mode is the only reason I'd consider it on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Soundtrack is good but not a patch on the originals.

Yeah, it's a bit weak. In both quality and "oomph" terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Enjoying this thoroughly whilst not being very good at it.

There are a lot more mechanics in the game than first meets the eye.

I've only played with Axel but some people are saying he's the worst character?

What about the controls, is the classic control option better? What's the difference?

Advertisement