Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STREETS OF RAGE 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

That made me smile anyway, it’s just I’m so used to my young lad asking can he buy games which usually cost the guts of €60. In the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to pick up Mortal Kombat 11 for €40, and now Streets of Rage for €25? Bargain gaming already! :D

On this game itself, yeah it’s been mentioned already that the soundtrack isn’t quite up to par. The music in SOR2 had much more ‘atmosphere’? The bosses at the end of each level aren’t up to much either, it could be because it’s 30 years later but I remember the end of level bosses being far more intimidating in the originals (SOR 1 & 2, I don’t even rate 3).

The artwork is fantastic, comic book style, like what they wanted the original to be if the technology had been available at the time. It’s an update that stays very true to the original in terms of game mechanics, which is commendable IMO because they could have been tempted to do a lot more, but they kept it simple.

We got as far as level 5, I liked the
    car crashing into the wall, woke us up a bit!
    but I’m wondering are there elements missing like
    the motorbikes, and the elevator level with the wrestler at the end

Hours of fun though :D

Edit: Speaking of retro gaming, why does Boards feel like I’m connected with a 56k modem? :confused:

I think it may be an issue connecting via android, website loads fine on my pc and iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

weemcd wrote: »
    Enjoying this thoroughly whilst not being very good at it.

There are a lot more mechanics in the game than first meets the eye.

I've only played with Axel but some people are saying he's the worst character?

What about the controls, is the classic control option better? What's the difference?

If you played the original then classic is the best option, it just feel natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Decided to take a punt on this even though I wasn't that pushed on it. Quite enjoying it so far. Played stage 1 as Cherry and 2 as Axel. Much prefer Cherry to be honest. Axels very slow and his special moves dont have much reach. I'll give the other characters a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoying this up to stage 11, not finding it hard at normal level.
    Cool you can unlock characters, Adam is good to play with.
    Some very fun features I loved chucking people out the elevator lol and the whole level in the art gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How about the bargain of €0? That's what 4 is competing with. So I don't see the need to spend even +€25 for less features and worse music. Online mode is the only reason I'd consider it on sale.

I think you're just a pleb with shít taste in music tbh :pac:

Also to all those players complaining about the lack of dodge:

Use your neutral Special (Y/Triangle) for its invincibility & pay attention to the enemies!
    Also don't forget your back attack (RT/R2).
    This isn't Dark Souls, you don't get i-Frames to dodge with here :pac:

As for the lack of Run - eh. The character's aren't SLOW, it's very deliberate.
    This is like complaining about lack of dash in Street Fighter II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Debating what difficulty to pick. How challenging is normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

How about the bargain of €0? That's what 4 is competing with. So I don't see the need to spend even +€25 for less features and worse music. Online mode is the only reason I'd consider it on sale.

We get it. You don't like it despite never actually playing the game and won't buy it right now.

J. Marston wrote: »

Fairly challenging actually, was expedcring to breeze through this like the earlier ones but finding it tough enough.

I think people are struggling with Axel, myself included because he is a bit slower and can be swarmed. I'm still in the mindset of reserving my special for those really close moments instead of using it to just clear space, you gain the health back that you lost using a special if you follow up with a combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

J. Marston wrote: »

Normal was difficult enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Normal = die alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Loving this so far, SoR1 was probably the first game I fell in love with growing up. Its great to able to play something that holds to that feeling of the original again. Cherry is a blast to play in this, I love that special move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

circadian wrote: »
    You don't like it despite never actually playing the game
    I'm a huge SOR fan. I checked multiple streams and asked questions to the players...there's a regression of key advancements in SOR3 and Remake. It still looks good, but just doesn't break any new ground so why bother? If I'm in the mood of SOR I'll just play SORR
    circadian wrote: »
    We get it.
    lol
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    shít taste in music tbh
    Eh? I said it has worse music, not that's it bad. Again, I just expect quality to improve in sequels, not degrade.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This is like complaining about lack of dash in Street Fighter II.
    No offense intended but I don't think you could be any more wrong about video games than this. Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Streets of Rage was the first game i ever played when we got a Sega Megadrive all those years ago. New game is great , tough enough like the old one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Use to play sor2 on mega drive with the brother when we were tots. Use to love throwing the Fatboy's at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

All finished (well the story mode) it is lots of fun.
    Weirdly axel from SOR2 was the most effective when you unlocked him!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Streets of Rage was the first game i ever played when we got a Sega Megadrive all those years ago. New game is great , tough enough like the old one :)

Yep, myself and the young lad got to level 5 last night handy enough, and I came away thinking it’s lots of fun with loads of replayability. Went at it again tonight and got as far as level 10, but the difficulty level went up a few notches after level 5 and it was much more challenging!

Floyd was my immediate go-to character, and the young lad chooses Blaze, so there’s a good combination of strength and speed as a team. He comes out with more points in every round though simply because with his speed he’s able to get stuck into the bad guys much faster, while Floyd moves like he’s wearing a pair of cement shoes (can’t wait to unlock Max :pac:), but damn the play is intense. Music is better and more atmospheric in the later levels too, but still not quite matching the atmosphere created by the soundtrack in SOR2.

Another thing I saw mentioned on a review site is that some of the sound effects like the pipe, they don’t make the same whoosh, whack as they did in SOR2, they’re a bit lacklustre. It kinda spoiled it for me when I noticed it when playing tonight, but I’ll probably have forgotten about it by the morning :o

Great addition to the franchise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Playing on Hardest and its very very tough. I'm also playing with no assists and only using the first life and any extra lives i earn through the level. Initially it was tough going with alot of game over screens until i hit my stride and was breezing through the maps. Then the slippy floor level. My god i hate slippy floor levels.

The music is decent, but i don't remember any of them, hah. The song that starts after the car crash in the first level is a banger. Best track so far (That i remember)

Another thing I saw mentioned on a review site is that some of the sound effects like the pipe, they don’t make the same whoosh, whack as they did in SOR2, they’re a bit lacklustre.

This is the biggest disappointment i had with the game so far :D The sound of the pipe hit in the original was glorious!

Finished it in co-op with the missus there, bit of an anti-climax but I can see this having some replay-ability with friends.

I'm a huge SOR fan. I checked multiple streams and asked questions to the players...there's a regression of key advancements in SOR3 and Remake. It still looks good, but just doesn't break any new ground so why bother? If I'm in the mood of SOR I'll just play SORR
    lol

Eh? I said it has worse music, not that's it bad. Again, I just expect quality to improve in sequels, not degrade.

No offense intended but I don't think you could be any more wrong about video games than this. Jesus :eek:

I've played loads of SORR and it's great,a testament to how fans can improve on a formula. But I don't see why you're coming in here claiming some "excited buy product consume" blah blah blah meme. I currently buy 2 or 3 games a year.

I paid for this.

I'm happy with it and enjoying it. Worth the €23 or whatever paid for on the Nintendo store.

Here's another thing. Not everyone has access to SORR so it's a moot point for many. Can I play it on the Switch? Nope. Can I play it on xbox? Nope. Can I play on PC? Sure I can but I'm usually playing some FPS or something in VR.

As for not breaking ground. It does, the juggles, combos and breaks are a great addition. When you play it everything feels satisfying, it's very well made and very enjoyable.

Again, I don't see the point in coming into a thread purely on the topic of this game to derail and give out about how you're not getting it and how it's regressed according to some streamers on twitch without actually having played it yourself to come to this conclusion.

After getting stuck on the Chinatown stage last night, switched to Adam this morning. Straight through Stages 6-8 with little fuss. Definitely my favourite character.

Anyone have any tips on how to throw enemies? I can do it sometimes but find it very hit and miss, and not sure what the actual controls are for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

Penn wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on how to throw enemies? I can do it sometimes but find it very hit and miss, and not sure what the actual controls are for it.

Once you get close enough to them you'll grab them. There are a few options once you do. With no movement on the d-pad you can combo them by attacking them until the hold breaks. If you move the d-pad left or right while attacking you will throw them. You can also use the jump button to flip from being in front of them or behind them, giving slightly different options based on the above.

Relikk wrote: »
    Once you get close enough to them you'll grab them. There are a few options once you do. With no movement on the d-pad you can combo them by attacking them until the hold breaks. If you move the d-pad left or right while attacking you will throw them. You can also use the jump button to flip from being in front of them or behind them, giving slightly different options based on the above.

Nice, thanks. Think I've been trying to throw them with the grab button again, ending up jumping off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Are people playing on their own or with a random?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Played through the first 2 levels by myself but teaming up with randoms since. Up to level 11 now so nearly done for the first playthrough.
    The elevator and possessed Max fight were a pain in the bollix

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Played through the first 2 levels by myself but teaming up with randoms since. Up to level 11 now so nearly done for the first playthrough.
    The elevator and possessed Max fight were a pain in the bollix

Yeah certain parts of the game like
    the elevator and the mob rooms before Shiva
    can mess your run up horribly with a small mistake. Can be very hard to recover from them.

Nice, thanks. Think I've been trying to throw them with the grab button again, ending up jumping off them.

Just FYI there is no "Grab" button.

Only Attack-Jump-Special(s)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I installed this via Game Pass last night and gave it a go today - it's magnificent. All that I'm missing is a slot to fire 10p's into at a fevered rate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Finished it this morning, a brilliant reawakening of what franchise. Got my SOR 1 Axel unlocked so gonna pump some time now in to getting all of them. One major criticism I would level at it even though my experience was overall positive
    Whoever wrote the “story” and THAT ending need to be fired - what in the **** was that fade to black/credits without any closure after the final boss? The whole thing didn’t make any sense in the slightest - Mr Xs kids are doing something something so the lads need to come back and kick ass for some reason. Very disappointing but that’s probably just my take being a hardcore fan of this series - story is irrelevant to the ass kicking

Also the soundtrack for an SOR title is extremely weak - the main theme is growing on me, the music that kicks in after the car crash in level 1 is a banger but it hasn’t a flake on the originals. It does surpass 3 though as that was a pile of randomised bollix.

Finished the story and most of the way through a second playthrough to unlock characters. Have all SOR1 and Max so far.

Worst enemy in the game has to be those diagonally-jumping motherf*ckers. Just no avoiding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Finished the story and most of the way through a second playthrough to unlock characters. Have all SOR1 and Max so far.

Worst enemy in the game has to be those diagonally-jumping motherf*ckers. Just no avoiding them.

The bikers for me. The harder ones go diagonally, headbut you from more than a screen away and knock you back just as far

Advertisement