Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STREETS OF RAGE 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

The bikers for me. The harder ones go diagonally, headbut you from more than a screen away and knock you back just as far

They aren’t so bad in co-op, prioritise a group and then smack the **** out them - wall juggling is super effective as they don’t really have attacks that can break a combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just beat it on hardest no assists with Cherry. Great game but going to give it a break for now as i was going hard at it with all my free gaming time. Had a listen to the OST on youtube and on second listen without focusing on gameplay its far better than i first thought. Some real nice tunes on it.

Had a quick run of the first few levels with the retro music on. First two tracks are the same as the original but the 3rd and 4th tracks are slightly off. Maybe they had the rights to only some of the songs?

Just beat it on hardest no assists with Cherry. Great game but going to give it a break for now as i was going hard at it with all my free gaming time. Had a listen to the OST on youtube and on second listen without focusing on gameplay its far better than i first thought. Some real nice tunes on it.

Had a quick run of the first few levels with the retro music on. First two tracks are the same as the original but the 3rd and 4th tracks are slightly off. Maybe they had the rights to only some of the songs?

From what i know the retro soundtrack is a mix of the mega drive & game gear OSTs - I noticed it myself last night when I was in a level and a chip tune version of SOR 1 good ending “My little baby” kicked in - a totally inappropriate song for batin fellas with lead pipes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished it with a very polite random. Every chicken and apple was "No no, after you, I insist" basically.

This is why i thought they used different tracks. The first track is from SoR1 and the second from SoR2. The second one is also part of the retro tracks for SoR4. The chorus or hook sounds very similar on both of them. Was listening to the second one thinking why doesn't it sound like the first one.

I think SoR1 > SoR2 for soundtrack gentlemen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Blaze420 wrote: »
    They aren’t so bad in co-op, prioritise a group and then smack the **** out them - wall juggling is super effective as they don’t really have attacks that can break a combo.

The harder ones are armored during their headbut and wake up into an armored kick only ways to deal with that is to avoid the attack or a well timed neutral special.

This is why i thought they used different tracks. The first track is from SoR1 and the second from SoR2. The second one is also part of the retro tracks for SoR4. The chorus or hook sounds very similar on both of them. Was listening to the second one thinking why doesn't it sound like the first one.

I think SoR1 > SoR2 for soundtrack gentlemen

I’m conflicted on your last line :D SOR 1 has one of the best ending tunes in a video game ever, and some great stage tracks (elevator level 7 I think being a highlight) but SOR 2 was a pinpoint precision masterclass in the sound of the time it came out - Stage 1 could be played through any nightclub sound system still and have people moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Go Straight everyone, Go Straight. Absolutely fantastic tune.

Really liking 4. Back in the day I had a SNES and two of my cousins had a Megadrive. Out of the games they had the only two I really wished were on SNES was SOR 1 and 2. They could keep Sonic, a poor man's Mario! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They could keep Sonic, a poor man's Mario! :-)

Strange choice of username with that kind of comment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

nix wrote: »
    Strange choice of username with that kind of comment :p

Ha very true. My username is more to do with comments on my spiky hairstyle that stuck when I was younger than that fecking blue hedgehog! :-)

• Advertisement

Go Straight everyone, Go Straight. Absolutely fantastic tune.

Really liking 4. Back in the day I had a SNES and two of my cousins had a Megadrive. Out of the games they had the only two I really wished were on SNES was SOR 1 and 2. They could keep Sonic, a poor man's Mario! :-)

A poor mans mario??? :D Sonic is the guy in the pub with the women swinging out of him, Mario is the old guy propped up on the bar with his arse hanging out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sonic is the young arsehole snorting coke and being obnoxious to everyone while Mario is sitting at a table with the lads having the banter and actual craic.

Bought this on Sunday afternoon for €18 on the Humble Store. Why did I wait so long? Great game. Have unlocked all the hidden characters and it's making me nostalgic. Reminds me of the day my brother came home with a Mega Drive, SOR2 and Sonic. Just played SOR2 for hours on end as I wasn't into platformers. The only negative was it created high expectations in me for the rest of the Mega Drive catalogue. I still play SOR2 these days via emulation on those dodgy China handhelds.

As for 4 then the sodding Commissioner is a b*stard though. They seem to have added something in this one where after a successful attack on an enemy they get up and start flashing and are then invulnerable for a bit. Still trying to figure it out.

Like everyone else I started with Axel and he's actually a bit rubbish in this one. I notice that depending on who you play as some parts are easier/difficult than others which adds a bit of depth.

Hardest boss of all for me though was
    Max on Stage 9
    . Hope I spoilered the right parts of my post. Don't think I've posted in here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Just finished an online session with a randomer. Managed to beat the whole story with me losing a continue only once (which he nicely got himself killed deliberately so we could restart together)

It's not that bad, but there are times where the lag and slowdown becomes a real nuisance, particularly during segments where there are a lot of enemies on screen, and boss fights. I also think I might have p1ssed the other lad off on two occasions, as there were two seperate times where we both reached 100+ on the combo counter, and I was the one that broke it :pac:. He kept playing though.

(Personal nitpick of my own mistakes: . I was livestreaming the whole thing and I'm raging because when I went into the rendered video, there was no audio - I forgot to increase the audio >.<)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I always though the soundtrack in SOR3 was really under-rated.

Having said that, Go Straight is possibly the GOAT.

Man, Skate is ripped

Man, Skate is ripped

Wouldn't you be as well if you only wore rollerskates instead of shoes for the last 26 years? :D

More enjoyable than I thought it would be

The tweaks are subtle

I don't think I could ever go back and play the old games again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

An hour beating the face of the streets lowlifes well spent. It's therapeutic!

Floyd is a crap character. Pity you can't play as shiva with his SFX from Sor2.

Adams jump straight up split kick sound affect is the new beat someone with a bar noise for me.

Pity the story is so bad, Jesus. Awful.

And pity they couldn't do individual storys.

Great game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

9/10 for me.

New adam is the only character I like and can actually progress in the game with. Ive tried all characters up to SoR2 that ive unlocked.

Dashing is very hard with the left stick, wish they put it as a shoulder button.
    The lack of new version of skate is disappointing.

Most sections have a bunch of apples and turkeys at the end which seems really weird, like why would I need more than 1 turkey when there often is no enemies at that section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Beersmith wrote: »
    9/10 for me.

New adam is the only character I like and can actually progress in the game with. Ive tried all characters up to SoR2 that ive unlocked.

Dashing is very hard with the left stick, wish they put it as a shoulder button.
    The lack of new version of skate is disappointing.

Most sections have a bunch of apples and turkeys at the end which seems really weird, like why would I need more than 1 turkey when there often is no enemies at that section.

It's also just for points. If you dont need to heal you get points instead. I think a turkey actually gives you more points than any cash drops, though I'm not sure on that.

I agree on Adam though. I've completed it with Adam, Blaze, Axel and I'm starting a Floyd run. Adam is definitely my favourite. Hits hard and fast.

Seems SoR 4 is getting a standard physical release with different artwork as well as the LRG one.

PS4
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0889WWYS7/

Xbox One
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088B46TX3/

Switch
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088B42K9S/

Finished Floyd. Have to say, he's not actually that bad. He's slow and clunky, but when it comes to some of the harder enemies his ability to pick them up and throw them really helps.

Just have Cherry of the main 5 to go, then might try a few of the old school characters. Still have Shiva and Dr.Zan left to unlock.

Tempted to try for the platinum but dont know if my thumbs can handle it

For anyone that ordered from Limited Run.

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1260124403658043395

I personally don't really understand what it is they're saying...

I think they were supposed to be sending out physical limited edition copies, but couldn't due to demand/virus etc. So they're giving those people Steam Keys for the game so they can play it, and then the physical release they eventually get will include additional bonus stuff. That'd be my reading of it anyway.

Penn wrote: »
    I think they were supposed to be sending out physical limited edition copies, but couldn't due to demand/virus etc. So they're giving those people Steam Keys for the game so they can play it, and then the physical release they eventually get will include additional bonus stuff. That'd be my reading of it anyway.

It wasn't due to be delivered until well after July, closer to September, anyway.

Does that mean it'll probably be Christmas by the time I see it? It still doesn't make much sense to me lol

It wasn't due to be delivered until well after July, closer to September, anyway.

Does that mean it'll probably be Christmas by the time I see it? It still doesn't make much sense to me lol

I guess so. Not sure as I know nothing of the proposed terms etc for the limited edition, but I guess either way they're indicating there'll likely be some delay, but you get a download code for it and you'll get bonus stuff in the physical edition when it comes.

A lot of people got p*ssed about the European run by Merge/Signature Run Games and how the announcement of it's release wasn't until after the LRG version. This lead to a conspiracy that LRG paid of the devs to delay the announcement of other varients.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I've noticed something weird with the Xbox One / PC versions from Game Pass:

- Some enemies have either no sounds (Nora) or wrong ones (Garnet)
    - More importantly, the "hit combo" timer is really, really short and has no "warning flicker". Like, times out only 1-2 seconds after you stop hitting stuff.

I wouldn't have noticed any of this if it wasn't that I decided to get the game on the Switch as well (having got it for free on XBone and PC) and immediately noticed that the "hit combo" timer lasts for much, much longer at the same difficulty levels, and also has a "flicker" effect to inform you it's about to run out.

I haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere online (most reviews are of the PS4 version anyway), nor have I found where to report it as a bug.

EDIT - reading some comments here I noticed people talking about he lack of sound when the pipe hits: same thing, it's not there on Xbox/PC Game Pass version, but it's there on the Switch. I'm curious to know if the Steam version has the same issues on PC.
    Penn wrote: »
    Finished Floyd. Have to say, he's not actually that bad. He's slow and clunky, but when it comes to some of the harder enemies his ability to pick them up and throw them really helps.

Yeah, Floyd might actually be the easiest character to use once you understand how to move him around. At the beginning, while trying out the different styles, I went through one level with him and went "nope, too slow!". Then I tried again and realized he has massive crowd control power, as he's the one character that can throw enemies either direction without having to waste time "vaulting over". Also, crushing two of them together is SATISFYING :D

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I've noticed something weird with the Xbox One / PC versions from Game Pass:

- Some enemies have either no sounds (Nora) or wrong ones (Garnet)
    - More importantly, the "hit combo" timer is really, really short and has no "warning flicker". Like, times out only 1-2 seconds after you stop hitting stuff.

I wouldn't have noticed any of this if it wasn't that I decided to get the game on the Switch as well (having got it for free on XBone and PC) and immediately noticed that the "hit combo" timer lasts for much, much longer at the same difficulty levels, and also has a "flicker" effect to inform you it's about to run out.

I haven't noticed this mentioned anywhere online (most reviews are of the PS4 version anyway), nor have I found where to report it as a bug.

EDIT - reading some comments here I noticed people talking about he lack of sound when the pipe hits: same thing, it's not there on Xbox/PC Game Pass version, but it's there on the Switch. I'm curious to know if the Steam version has the same issues on PC.

Yeah, Floyd might actually be the easiest character to use once you understand how to move him around. At the beginning, while trying out the different styles, I went through one level with him and went "nope, too slow!". Then I tried again and realized he has massive crowd control power, as he's the one character that can throw enemies either direction without having to waste time "vaulting over". Also, crushing two of them together is SATISFYING :D

The Steam release is a different version to the Windows Store release, the Win 10 release is the Xbox build.

The Xbox build is missing the graphical options and the combo counter is yellow, the counter is green in the other builds.

Advertisement