Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPF (Sender Policy Framework)

Options
  • 27-08-2018 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I have a contact form on one of my hosted domains and I'm receiving emails for forms submitted from users using most email providers address but receiving none if the person filling the form uses a Gmail address.

Anything from a Gmail user is causing a bounce back reporting that the mail has a high probability of being SPAM.

My hosting company has advised that I should deactivate my SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record and create a new one increasing the severity of the SPF record on that domain in order to decrease the SPAM score for these mails.

They have advised me where to go in my CP to do that and even give me some sort of example on what to do. The problem is that I have no idea when creating a new SPF record what I actually need to type into it.

This is the example they gave me.

You can try increasing the severity of the SPF record on the domain to decrease the spam score for these mails.

To do so you would update it from a soft fail:

"v=spf1 a include:spf.MyProviderName.ie ~all"

to a hard fail:
    "v=spf1 a include:spf.MyProviderName.ie ~all"

In fairness to my provider, they are being more than helpful with all the issues I've contacted them about but I guess they are assuming I know more than I do!

Anyone familiar with creating a new SPF record that could help me out here?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just use a wizard (google - loads available), example...

https://www.spfwizard.net/
    https://www.unlocktheinbox.com/spfwizard/

and the the IP of your website were the form is located needs to be added to your SPF.

example

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:123.234.123.234 ~all"

Where 123.234.123.234 is the IP of the website with the form.

You are basically saying that this IP is a trusted source for email for your domain.

Advertisement