Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland AGM submissions open 2018

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Another boardsie on the board now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

nee wrote: »
    Did all the motions pass?

Bar two competing ones about the point threshold for A1s at the end of the year to be downgraded, yes. On that one, the threshold was set that A1s with zero points will be downgraded to A2s with 5pts after their first full season at A1.

The final two motions classed as 'recommendations' were withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

buffalo wrote: »
    Bar two competing ones about the point threshold for A1s at the end of the year to be downgraded, yes. On that one, the threshold was set that A1s with zero points will be downgraded to A2s with 5pts after their first full season at A1.

The final two motions classed as 'recommendations' were withdrawn.

how might it apply to some of the very classy A1+ riders on nil points? Likes of Matt Teggart or Bryan McCrystal, Martyn Irvine, all of whom have competitive licenses. presumably it really only applies to domestic A1 riders only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    how might it apply to some of the very classy A1+ riders on nil points? Likes of Matt Teggart or Bryan McCrystal, Martyn Irvine, all of whom have competitive licenses. presumably it really only applies to domestic A1 riders only.

It doesn't apply to A+ riders, and all A1 riders will be treated the same. I'm sure they can ask the grading officer to use his discretion to upgrade them if necessary.

Otherwise you'd get into complicated clauses like "auto-downgrade unless they've earned 50+ points or featured in more than 5 StickyBottle headlines in any of the previous 3 years".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    It doesn't apply to A+ riders, and all A1 riders will be treated the same. I'm sure they can ask the grading officer to use his discretion to upgrade them if necessary.

Otherwise you'd get into complicated clauses like "auto-downgrade unless they've earned 50+ points or featured in more than 5 StickyBottle headlines in any of the previous 3 years".

I presumed so as well, imagine getting upgraded in the last two or three races and then being put down again with no discussion. Presumably exactly what the grading officer is for in this scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It seems we can't go a season without needing to change something with points and A3's especially, we're never going to come up with something that keeps everybody happy so we may as well change things every year it seems...

By its very nature it needs to be variable. Some years there are bottlenecks getting out of A4 , other years A3. It's all about balancing numbers across grades and has worked quite well over the 5 years from what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nee wrote: »
    Did all the motions pass?

yep got them all marked off except the last two recommendations from tullamore which were withdrawn

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presumed so as well, imagine getting upgraded in the last two or three races and then being put down again with no discussion. Presumably exactly what the grading officer is for in this scenario.
    A rider still has to do a full season in the year after upgrade to a1..if in that season he gets zero points then they will be downgraded.the grading officer has the power to stop an automatic downgrade.eg for riders nased abroad who are not scoring points in irish domestic races

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Good to see the leisure commission back at the AGM and they certainly made up for their absence over the last few years with discussion going on for about half an hour. Impressed with the chap who got up to speak on behalf of the commission - probably wasn't expecting half as many questions as he got but it can only be a good thing having the majority of the membership represented like that.

As a member of "the majority", I'd love to hear a bit more about the issues raised, the CI and other views expressed and any changes or improvements coming down the line. Despite being a CI and club member, I never seem to get any "official" reports on leisure related developments.

As a member of "the majority", I'd love to hear a bit more about the issues raised, the CI and other views expressed and any changes or improvements coming down the line. Despite being a CI and club member, I never seem to get any "official" reports on leisure related developments.

I suppose the leisure commission is only in its infancy, so they are probably still figuring out where there focus should be. I presume next year there will be more output from them and more to say at the AGM next year, they might even have their own AGM.

• Advertisement

A lot of what the leisure commission rep had to say was based on value for money etc for leisure members and selling the membership to those who are non members.a learning curve for him and the commission but they seem determined to go about their business in a solid manner.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

wav1 wrote: »
    A lot of what the leisure commission rep had to say was based on value for money etc for leisure members and selling the membership to those who are non members.a learning curve for him and the commission but they seem determined to go about their business in a solid manner.

I would be interested to know what "value" leisure members currently get beyond the obvious ones of insurance and indeed the ability to ride with clubs (although that will usually be at extra cost). I guess they also save the €5 for one day licences and certain discounts available to all CI members.

I'm hearing that leisure membership is dropping (don't have a direct reference for that though), and we've debated here extensively concerns that leisure membership effectively subsidises racers.

I think a leisure commission is definitely a good idea, and that should allow CI to better promote any benefits leisure members do get, as well as hopefully coming up with one or two new initiatives

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CramCycle wrote: »
    they might even have their own AGM.

As a Commission, I think an AGM is expected (possibly required?)

Beasty wrote: »
    As a Commission, I think an AGM is expected (possibly required?)

Did the road commission have one? Just a question as I feel alot of the motions at the AGM should have went there if they did, although there is the fear if the roadies didn't show up, quorum would never be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I'm hearing that leisure membership is dropping (don't have a direct reference for that though),
    I think it's to be expected that CI leisure numbers and numbers in general would drop off 19 years ago I was at a meeting outlining a draft plan to increase nationwide membership from 2500 to 4000. At the time leisure cycling as part of clubs was never categorised.
    There's been a huge surge and only natural that not everyone's situation and the environment around them lends to remaining as a member of the organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I'm hearing that leisure membership is dropping (don't have a direct reference for that though), and we've debated here extensively concerns that leisure membership effectively subsidises racers.

from the membership admin report

full competition -9%
    limited competition -14%
    youth & juniors -16%
    leisure -9%
    cycling supporter +10%

overall membership -10%

thats 2017 to 2018

leinster -7 %
    Ulster -13%
    munster -12%
    connacht -7.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I suppose cyclists may pay membership for a year or 2 and then really question what they get out of it or why they need it.

Biggest reason I can see for leisure cyclists is that they want to cycle with a club (who won't let them do so without CI membership). Beyond this the benefits are less tangible.

Personally I think the race license is great value. Looking around at the cost of triathlons, sportives (some) and adventure races, I reckon if you do 10 or more races a year you're on to a good thing.

Advertisement