Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bargaining tips for car insurance

Options
  • 27-08-2018 5:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

So what I mean by this, is when you're on the phone saying "I got another offer of X, can you beat it?"

Are they able to check to see if what you're saying is true? And if you're making up a value, how far lower than their value should you bluff?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No they can't check.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Bluff with how much you need to make it sound genuine. They have always discounted it for me with 50e ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

rosmoke wrote: »
    Bluff with how much you need to make it sound genuine. They have always discounted it for me with 50e ...
    Didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They would have a fair idea of which of their competitors are currently giving quotes which are higher, about the same and lower in your category of the market (your age and the class of car) but there's no way they can check how much you were quoted.

Ultimately, it's the same situation as when you're looking at a car for sale, you can threaten to walk and it's up to them to either let you go or drop the price. But if your offer is too low then they might consider you a tyre kicker and not be bothered to waste time dealing with you.

Advertisement