Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an android box

• 27-08-2018 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭

Hey

I am thinking of getting the above so all of the family can get access to eir/bt sports etc. What is the best option? I see a good few on amazon but reviews are hit and miss.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Hey

I am thinking of getting the above so all of the family can get access to eir/bt sports etc. What is the best option? I see a good few on amazon but reviews are hit and miss.

Thanks

Depends on what you want to spend....... Have you sky go with sports or looking for iptv (we can't talk about the later here).

The nvidia. Shield has everything we have ever wanted (originally got for Netflix & kodi & iptv) and more (games etc).... It will run you 200 quid but it's the best tech for the TV I have ever bought....and I have had rokus and chrome casts through the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hey

Thanks

If it is using the free eir sports with broadband then I advise caution.

I have a couple of Android tv devices and have failed to get the app working on them.
    Yes I got it installed.
    Yes it launches.
    Yes it allows me to select the channel.
    No, it will not play any content ..... although IIRC it is downloading the content, just not playing it to the screen.

The alleged 'error message' was useless as were my enquiries to eir.
    They could not provide a list of products on which it would work, only mentioning the likes of a couple of manufacturers of phone s etc.

So ...... if you can see it working before buying then all would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

i have the TX2 android box got it on ebay about 30 euro

works grand for rte player tv3 player and any other apps that get movies tv shows etc

runs quick enough i don't bother iptv or kodi because they are untrustworthy and could be shut down at any moment and your money gone.

So TX2 or TX3 is supposed to be better buy i couldn't find a seller for that when i was buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ya I really just want it for eir sports and maybe now tv, etc. I use my chromecast at the moment and it is fine but one is confined to using a phone.

If I was away from the house others would need an android phone etc to operate it.

Going by amazon there is a lot of junk out there made by people I have never heard of.

Is an android tv the future so to avoid all the hassle?

Ya I really just want it for eir sports and maybe now tv, etc. I use my chromecast at the moment and it is fine but one is confined to using a phone.

If I was away from the house others would need an android phone etc to operate it.

Going by amazon there is a lot of junk out there made by people I have never heard of.

Is an android tv the future so to avoid all the hassle?

I don't believe so.
    I think smart TVs will decline unless the manufacturers are prepared to change their attitude and issue updates for installed software on a continuing basis for many more years than they do presently.

At least with a €50 Android box you can replace it every couple of years and not worry too much about the cost.
    Not the same for big TVs ..... at least not in my house! :)

Maybe a post on the 'talk to eir' section would get a response from someone who has successfully installed the eir app on an Android TV box?

If you get a positive response do let us know ;)

This is what I did to use the eir sports channels

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057904675

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just a warning to anyone who might be tempted to post links on this thread. Android TV boxes are not illegal. Neither is Eleven Sports. However posters should refrain from posting any links to a vendor who is selling Android or other boxes with the express promise of being able to access pirated or other copyright protected content either free of charge or at an obviously “too good to be true” fee. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

Hey

Thanks

Smart Android boxes come in 3 basic specs.

low end
    S812 and low end rock chip
    normally supports android 4.4 and below.
    1gb RAM and 8GB internal memory.
    price range is around 20 euro to 40 euro
    Mxq is the main one

wont recommend to anyone.

Mid Range
    S905W and S905X chips
    Android 6 and above
    1gb or 2gb RAM

8gb or 16gb internal memory
    price range is 30 euro to 55 euro
    would recommend 2/16 spec range

recommended models are X96 mini, Tx3 mini, Z3, M8S

High End
    S912 chip is the best performer at the moment
    Android 7 and above
    2gb or 3gb RAM
    16gb or 32gb Internal memory
    price range is from 60 euro to 100 euro
    x92, qbox, qplus, belink

best option for streming services, youtube, netflix, gaming and for 4K

Branded models.
    Formuler z7+, Minix and Xiaomi are also good options.

Adverts have 100's of seller selling them.

DUE TO NEW EU LAW BUYING/SELLING LOADED BOXES WITH ILLEGAL APPS / IPTV AREN'T ALLOWED. PLEASE USE THESE BOXES SENSIBLY.

@masker

Does the eir app work on any of those Android boxes you have listed?

I have a couple of one listed and no way will the eir app work for me.
    Maybe I have done something wrong but I don't think so.

@masker

its DRM licence issues,

i can't advise you much on this but i would say formulerz and xiaomi should have no issues.

but i never tested .

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

@masker

I had the EIR app work on a MS box a while ago but stopped now , best and most reliable option for the EIR app is to install on an android phone and use a chromecast this always works and is legal the quality is good , with the EIR app you are only allowed to login on a set number of devices so logout and uninstall on ones you are not using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Any brick and mortar shops sell mag 256 boxes does anyone know? Dublin area preferably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Joekers wrote: »
    Any brick and mortar shops sell mag 256 boxes does anyone know? Dublin area preferably

Sat world are great for them, they are in bluebell in Dublin

londonred wrote: »
    I had the EIR app work on a MS box a while ago but stopped now , best and most reliable option for the EIR app is to install on an android phone and use a chromecast this always works and is legal the quality is good , with the EIR app you are only allowed to login on a set number of devices so logout and uninstall on ones you are not using.

Might well be the best option, but I wanted an Android device to leave connected to the TV and usable by all ...... not something dependent on someone's phone being available.
    In any case I do not have a chromecast and I see no point in having two devices try to work around a bad app.

At least the satellite signal is reliable ;)

Joekers wrote: »

mag256 and mag254 is discountied by informir by mag349/350 and mag322

only stock left is in the market, no new production.

i would say to go for cheaper 322 or fast 350w3.

satworld and zteck good options to buy in dublin

also if you are looking to get cheap prices then go on adverts. lots of sellers are selling them.

mag256 is still one of hot seller around , lost of seller on adverts are also selling them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of inferior clones being sold. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Emilka111

Hey

Thanks

If quality matters to you and you want a really smart device that can do everything or let you install all what's required then I can recommend the below solutions.

http://himediatech.com/

You may choose which one to take. Depending how much you can spend.
    Quality and functionality are there.

Happy user of Himedia.

087brain21 wrote: »
    i have the TX2 android box got it on ebay about 30 euro

works grand for rte player tv3 player and any other apps that get movies tv shows etc

runs quick enough i don't bother iptv or kodi because they are untrustworthy and could be shut down at any moment and your money gone.

So TX2 or TX3 is supposed to be better buy i couldn't find a seller for that when i was buying

eir app won't work for me on a Tanix Tx3 mini ....... does it need a specific application release or something else to be done to get it working?

Emilka111 wrote: »
    If quality matters to you and you want a really smart device that can do everything or let you install all what's required then I can recommend the below solutions.

http://himediatech.com/

You may choose which one to take. Depending how much you can spend.
    Quality and functionality are there.

Happy user of Himedia.

My question would be

does the eir app actually work on any of those boxes?

There is no list of devices on which the eir app works ..... eir's attitude seems to be 'go buy a device and try it' :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Guys
    Just a quick question,I wouldn’t be as tech savvy as you good people here,but can anyone recommend a good box for streaming recent movies that are released?
    I have one but Terranium and Kodi no longer seem to work.
    Only interested in movies.

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Just a quick question,I wouldn’t be as tech savvy as you good people here,but can anyone recommend a good box for streaming recent movies that are released?
    I have one but Terranium and Kodi no longer seem to work.
    Only interested in movies.

No.
    'Copyright violation' discussion is not allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement