Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wouldn't it be preferable to incinerate rubbish that normally goes to landfill ?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

just been reading on my local council about the stuff that should go into the black landfill bin and it still amazes me that in this day and age we are still sending things like nappies and plastic and other stuff that doesn't disintegrate for decades (if it even disintegrates at all!) and I am just thinking to myself (as unpopular they seem to be with some people) wouldnt it be better if the rubbish was burnt in incinerators rather than carry on going into landfill (or being shipped off somewhere) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Burning is itself a waste in many regards - it's a one shot strategy unless done on a very large scale when you at least get some power. Plastic can be eaten by microbes and a programme to develop that is under way.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/16/scientists-accidentally-create-mutant-enzyme-that-eats-plastic-bottles

The best thing to do with landfill is mine it, anyone see the BBC Four documentary about landfill last week? They are full of valuable materials including the type of rare earth materials that should be recycled but which people dump in the black bin. Reclaiming rare earth metals from countless landfills is far cheaper than turning a tonne of rock into a five grams of gold.

Advertisement