Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to start a summer camp as a teenager

Options
  • 27-08-2018 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

So I'm a fifth year student who's looking to start a business venture over the Summer to try make some money. The basic idea is that I want to run a summer camp for primary school children with the help of a few friends. (not going to say what kind of Summer camp as while I don't think its a once in a lifetime idea I do understand the importance of having a unique idea and becoming the market standard as a result)

So I have a few questions and I'm looking for any advice people can offer on how to get a start.

Is Garda vetting and parental permission the only thing that is required for minors to work with children?

The camp would not involve any kind of physical activity besides maybe some ball games during brakes (which wouldn't be a necessity if it meant I wouldn't have to pay for insurance) so would we still require some form of insurance? If so how much are we talking?
    (I don't have much of a budget)

Would I have to register a business name? I already have one from previous projects but I haven't filed for registration or anything. If so how would I go about that and how much would that cost?

If I wanted to pay my friends as employees of this "company" would I have to go through a whole heap of red tape in order for it to be legal?

At what point to you have to register income with revenue?

If you can think of anything else that would be useful for me to know I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I would imagine the camp would need adult supervision....can’t imagine to many parents leaving kids with a group of 5th years.
    I take it you are planning this for next year? And yes you will more than likely need insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mister_melon

splinter65 wrote: »

Always very helpful

Oh thanks, they're out of office hours now but I'll make sure to give them a call tomorrow.

harr wrote: »
    I would imagine the camp would need adult supervision....can’t imagine to many parents leaving kids with a group of 5th years.
    I take it you are planning this for next year? And yes you will more than likely need insurance.
    Yeah we were planning it for the Summer of 2019. Yeah, we were thinking that but we couldn't think of anyone who could help us out like that, that wouldn't be some college student we could pay (which wouldn't really solve the issue as parents largely consider them to be barely adults themselves) and anyone who's older that wouldn't allow us to still kind of run everything else.

Yeah which I'm imagining would be some form of business insurance that we definitely wouldn't have the money for?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

So I'm a fifth year student who's looking to start a business venture over the Summer to try make some money. The basic idea is that I want to run a summer camp for primary school children with the help of a few friends. (not going to say what kind of Summer camp as while I don't think its a once in a lifetime idea I do understand the importance of having a unique idea and becoming the market standard as a result)

You would need Garda vetting and do a child protection course (half a day course) ,first aid, insurance, an absolutely solid plan Inc risk assessments etc as an absolute minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Always consider the well known mantra - AirB&B doesn't owns any b&bs, Deliveroo the biggest food delivery service doesn't own any takeaways, MyTaxi doesn't own any taxis .. and so on

What you should do is partner up with an existing camp and create some sort of packaged tours, where you offer a package with X,Y & Z but you are bring the kids to the existing camp who will take care of everything.. you charge a commission for each booking, manage the bookings and everyones happy, I wouldn't see any reason why a camp wouldn't be onboard with someone offering tours at their venue - all it takes is some savvy communication.. that will be the start of your entrepreneurial journey, good luck.

Buttercake wrote: »
    Always consider the well known mantra - AirB&B doesn't owns any b&bs, Deliveroo the biggest food delivery service doesn't own any takeaways, MyTaxi doesn't own any taxis .. and so on

What you should do is partner up with an existing camp and create some sort of packaged tours, where you offer a package with X,Y & Z but you are bring the kids to the existing camp who will take care of everything.. you charge a commission for each booking, manage the bookings and everyones happy, I wouldn't see any reason why a camp wouldn't be onboard with someone offering tours at their venue - all it takes is some savvy communication.. that will be the start of your entrepreneurial journey, good luck.

This hadn't crossed my mind at all, I'll start doing some research on existing camps near where I live. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you’re under 16 you won’t need Garda Vetting.

On the partnership idea. Montessori’s are closed during school holidays, have access to premises, and may have insurance in place.

If you’re under 16 you won’t need Garda Vetting.

On the partnership idea. Montessori’s are closed during school holidays, have access to premises, and may have insurance in place.

Yeah, we're all over 16 so we'll have to get it. I'll definitely try some montessori's as well as the summer camps. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Garda vetting for all people working on the camp is a necessity.
    Insurance is a necessity but shouldn't be too much, talking a few hundred.
    Coordinator (head person) would need to be over 18 and I'd say anyone looking after a group of kids would have to be over 18 also. A 16/17 year old would be ok to be an assistant to that older person.
    As mentioned above, about Montessori, it might be worth talking to a primary school teacher who might be able to get use of school facilities for a cheap rate but also have that person on board as partner/supervisor, which would help with adult supervision.
    In sports context, all coaches have to have basic level coaching course done, might you have to get that done for whatever activity is being done.

Summer Camps are not easy work, for the time you put into it, I how that it will financially pay its way.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

as above - doing it as a standalone project won't be possible. The insurance costs alone will see to that and possibly youy may find yourselves uninsurable due to age / experience etc.

But piggybacking on someone else's premises and insurance almost like a concession in a department store (store provides space, till systems and insurance - concession holder provides stock and staff) is very doable and a hell of a lot risky for all parties.

Advertisement