Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9yr old boy kills himself due to anti-gay bullying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

You answered your own question there Joey - because you were educated.

Since when did people have to be educated not to be racist or homophobic ?

You sound like one of those feminists that claim all men should be given compulsory classes on not raping women.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Sad state of affairs that a 9 year old even has a sexuality. Wtf happened to childhood, innocence etc

Its turning into some strange world..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Since when did people have to be educated not to be racist or homophobic ?

I didn’t say they do? In fact I’m specifically pointing out that they don’t. I’m pointing out that in the same way as people are either inherently straight or gay, they are also born with any given number of inherent and discriminatory prejudices against anyone whom they perceive as being different from them in some way, in any way really. How they react to that or how they process that is dependent upon both internal and external factors which influence their decision making processes, and so before we go about demonising parents for their children turning out to be bullying little shìts, it’s worth remembering that they may well have been angels at home and only behaved the way they did in the company of their peers when they felt it was safe for them to do so.

You sound like one of those feminists that claim all men should be given compulsory classes on not raping women.

Dafuq? Honestly, how the hell are you reading my posts? No, I don’t think shoving the kids into anti-bullying classes will do anything to curb their behaviour, and in fact may well exacerbate their behaviours and attitudes towards others because they may feel as though they’re being “unjustly punished”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Corb_lund wrote: »
    Sad state of affairs that a 9 year old even has a sexuality. Wtf happened to childhood, innocence etc

This is the crux of what I was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

On the contrary, being gay has everything to do with emotional attraction. Sexual attraction can happen to a person of the same gender, even if you're straight. What makes you gay, as opposed to curious or just think a person is really attractive, is the emotion behind it. Being gay or straight is more than just wanting to jump into bed with someone.

You can be sexually attracted to someone of the same gender and be straight. You cannot be emotionally attracted to someone of the same gender and be straight.

I am a bit confused now to be honest. As a child my most intense emotional responses were almost exclusively to females, I was devoted to my best friend with unconditional love and admired older girls and women often with a sort of pure idealism. Boys or men did not figure all that much, men were unfathomable hairy things and boys made me shy and uncomfortable unless they were my brothers or cousins. My sexual feelings came late in the day as I was always a cerebral child but they were never towards the females I loved with quite an intensity. I would have hated to kiss them or anything. But I doubt I have felt such uncomplicated emotion for any male (except children ) that I felt as a young person for females. I have never thought of myself as gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

EDIT: I think I see where the confusion may have arisen. When you mentioned being attracted to a particular gender, I don’t define sexual orientation in terms of gender, but rather by sex. I didn’t mean sexual orientation is defined by sexual activity in which one chooses to participate, but rather the sex of the participants.

Except you said that being gay is to do with sexual attraction (lust) and nothing to do with emotional attraction (love).
    That wasn’t your original point though, was it? You said you cannot be emotionally attracted to someone of the same gender and be straight. I’m pointing out that emotional attraction isn’t predicated upon sexual orientation, has literally nothing to do with it.

How was it not my original point?

Except you said that being gay is to do with sexual attraction (lust) and nothing to do with emotional attraction (love).

How was it not my original point?

Yes, in contrast to Sonics assertion that being gay was more based upon emotional attraction to someone, I pointed out that it was entirely based upon sexual attraction, and to someone of the same sex.

Being emotionally attracted to someone of the same sex doesn’t mean at all that a person isn’t straight, nor does it suggest that they might be gay. That’s nothing to do with a persons sexual orientation, which relates to their sexual identity, not their gender identity, nor their emotional attraction to anyone of either sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

How often do you hear fond mammies and daddies happily say that little so-and-so 'has a girlfriend' about their 5,6,7 year old son? No-one says how sad that is, how terrible it is that kids can't just be kids with all this newfangled sexuality stuff.

It's not seen as sexual, or inappropriate when it is apparently a straight attraction because straight relationships aren't seen as shameful or deviant. When it's straight, it's just cute.

For some people gay relationships still are seen by many as 'wrong', so what they would see as a charming and harmless little crush if it was between a little boy and a little girl is suddenly disturbingly sexual and age-inappropriate if it is between two little boys. They never seem to care as much if it is between two little girls.

And just on the more general point of children feeling strong emotions and a question as to the appropriate labels if any that should or sould not be applied, and especially regarding early sexualisation...relating to this little boy and his feelings, and any other children...

There are different kinds of love. The Greeks used words like Agape or Philia (Platonic) to describe types of intense love that were not erotic (which was Eros). These non -erotic loves could be far more enduring and significant, and often appear in childhood.
    I have seen young heterosexual boys turned to stone with admiration for older boys, as the older one displays an athletic feat for example or is simply beyond cool in their eyes. An older handsome man playing a Spanish guitar and singing beautifully - I have seen young boys with their jaws dropped, not because they lust for that man but because they want to BE that man when they grow up. Boys often admire other boys and men intensely and it is not homosexuality. But it is love. Same for girls.
    In this case the little boy probably indeed felt intense feelings for other boys. I think this is natural. He should have been enabled to be comfortable in those feelings. But to label it in such a way that it strays into the context of Eros is where I think a guardian or society might step too far. Why do it? It is not necessary yet.
    Sure, the testosterone is burgeoning, sure they may have some sexual intimations, and of course there are exceptional people who will tell me they have been shagging their way around the village since they were 11. But I think early sexualisation - on the whole - is not useful. Why did he have to identify or come out as gay, straight or anything at 9? And to be encouraged to come out as sexually oriented in any way in a class of 9 year olds is not a good idea because sex is complicated. It brings up primal responses. He was not going to be sexually active for a good few years, in a healthy situation, so why the need?

On the subject of the plastic nails - these are playthings, sure, but they are also erotic signifiers. On young girls and on young boys. Little kids hands look the same at that age, so it is not about looking the same as other kids, it is about looking like an adult. In junior schools such things are usually not allowed because people know unconsiously that they are sexual indicators. It is a small step to lipstick which more people recognise as an erotic indicator. The little fellow should not have been allowed to wear them because they have more to do with Eros than Philia, or the natural intense loves and admirations of childhood. There are good reasons why we do not sexualise children.

These are just my opinions regarding childhood loves and attractions, and could be totally inadequate and are not meant to be hurtful to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

B0jangles wrote: »
    How often do you hear fond mammies and daddies happily say that little so-and-so 'has a girlfriend' about their 5,6,7 year old son? No-one says how sad that is, how terrible it is that kids can't just be kids with all this newfangled sexuality stuff.

It's not seen as sexual, or inappropriate when it is apparently a straight attraction because straight relationships aren't seen as shameful or deviant. When it's straight, it's just cute.

For some people gay relationships still are seen by many as 'wrong', so what they would see as a charming and harmless little crush if it was between a little boy and a little girl is suddenly disturbingly sexual and age-inappropriate if it is between two little boys. They never seem to care as much if it is between two little girls.

Parents say that you in a joking way, they don’t mean it as sexual. The sexualisation of children is absolute evil.
    And yes, saying ‘little so and so has a boyfriend’ about their 5 year old son would be very disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Parents say that you in a joking way, they don’t mean it as sexual. The sexualisation of children is absolute evil.
    And yes, saying ‘little so and so has a boyfriend’ about their 5 year old son would be very disturbing.

But would you feel the same way if little so-and-so was said to have a girlfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

kylith wrote: »
    But would you feel the same way if little so-and-so was said to have a girlfriend?

Either way is ill advised - but to single out your son as gay at 5 years of age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You answered your own question there Joey - because you were educated. Now whether that was through experience or the formal education system is neither here nor there, but the point is that just like you would also have learned from a young age to be straight, there was no changing that either. As hard as whoever had tried, it turns out you weren’t born racist or homophobic either.
    Exactly. People are educated from the culture around them. People being born homophobic and/or racist is pure drivel and nonsense.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

When your growing up in a School of hot head iffy young fellas , the "your gay!" accusations will be rampant towards anyone they see who doesn't fit their role model. I went to a school in Tallaght back in my day 1990's and that calling people gay thing was a common daily thing for them. These iffy young fellas acted as if the whole world was gay except them...These days with people being more openly gay I did wonder if this carry on still happened in schools, I guess it does. Sad to see them tormenting normal people like that.

Feel sorry for that young kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

How can you say a 9 yo be gay or straight. you don't even get erections at that age as you have no physical attraction. Big chance he would have turned out straight as an adult.

Obviously bulling to extreams can make kids lives hell. Kids will pick out other kids to bully for being different, whether having red head or being over weight. It almost seems bulling is natural to kids.

I would guess from reading this the mother encouraged him to say "gay and proad" which was just putting the 9 yo on a plate to be bullied for being different........ sad story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ittakestwo wrote: »
    How can you say a 9 yo be gay or straight. you don't even get erections at that age as you have no physical attraction. Big chance he would have turned out straight as an adult.
    Obviously no erections at that age, but I would have been about 9 when I was first attracted to a girl in school, in the class above me. Sent her an anonymous Valentine's letter and all (that, can't remember how, but was blatantly from me). :o

Billy86 wrote: »
    Obviously no erections at that age, but I would have been about 9 when I was first attracted to a girl in school, in the class above me. Sent her an anonymous Valentine's letter and all (that, can't remember how, but was blatantly from me). :o

Awww :) But it's not erotic love at that age, is it? Little fellas don't think of having raw sex with the girl at that age, do they? If anything the most romantic lines I have ever heard came from the mouths of small boys about girls - ''She has hair like the sunshine, mammy'' - but that is idealised love, real, intense, important, but not erotic. Nor should it be encouraged to be that lest we stray into the early sexualisation of children, (which is strangely, bizarrely not uncommon these days).

Exactly. People are educated from the culture around them. People being born homophobic and/or racist is pure drivel and nonsense.

It’s not though, and in just the same way as people are educated from the culture around them, they learn when to keep their thoughts to themselves, and when it is safe to express and share those thoughts among like minded individuals.

If you imagine people are born inherently loving and kind and tolerant towards each other, or that people are born a blank slate, that’s drivel.

If all it took were education, the human species would have had world peace a couple of millennia before now. Of course in reality it hasn’t worked out like that because everyone is inherently different and doesn’t start with a blank slate, and doesn’t process information in the same way, so if they were indeed born a racist, or a homophobe, etc, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that they would gravitate towards people who think like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Malayalam wrote: »
    Awww :) But it's not erotic love at that age, is it? Little fellas don't think of having raw sex with the girl at that age, do they? If anything the most romantic lines I have ever heard came from the mouths of small boys about girls - ''She has hair like the sunshine, mammy'' - but that is idealised love, real, intense, important, but not erotic. Nor should it be encouraged to be that lest we stray into the early sexualisation of children, (which is strangely, bizarrely not uncommon these days).

Oh absolutely, and from the place I'm working at the moment I can tell you that highly sexualised behaviour at that age is a huge, huge red flag that something isn't right with that kid (e.g. something happened, or is happening - sometimes at home, but increasingly over social media esp Snapchat due to no evidence), but I'm not sure that the kid here was displaying anything like that. I would certainly hope not anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

B0jangles wrote: »

I have son who claimed he has a boyfriend with whom he will live when they grow up. He now has a girlfriend because she is a girl and a friend. He also had another girlfriend because she announced he is her boyfriend and he just growled something back. The other one declared she is marrying her brother, at least three of her girlfriends and on one occasion me. She also expects to have her own house with a swimming pool built when she is 18. At least she has her priorities straight. :D My kids are 9 and 6.

Frankly if I payed any attention to the announcements the make, they would sometimes go from straight, gay to incest in a day. And I have no idea if they are gay or not, they both play with kids of both genders. Maybe our kids are especially slow but I doubt either of them even considers declaring to be proud of anything that doesn't include computer games.

I believe children can have an idea if they are gay or not and I also think in some cases there can be very clear idea they want to be of different gender. However to go from that to being proud of something and thinking this is something that strongly defines them is a big step and in my opinion above pay grade of an average 9 year old. Letting kids to be kids in my opinion doesn't mean we wrap them in the cotton wool but at nine they are told that they have to save 1 Euro for ever 2 they spend not about interest on deposit account. Same goes about processing the social issues, self harm, abuse, sexuality and so on. It's very harsh to think 9 year olds have clearly defined homophobia that drove this child to death. That doesn't mean they have no capacity to be mean but they will use anything to hurt someone. It's also harsh to think parents know their child is a bully or they even encourage it in some way. I was bullied in my teens by some of my friends. Their parents didn't know, neither did mine and those kids were also dealing with their own issues. It's a cliche but things usually really aren't black and white.

• Advertisement

when I was 9 we all got slagged off relentlessly, Gaylord, stammerer, shyte clothes, Da locked up for IRA activity, pig nose (very bad cleft pallet)...etc etc etc, seriously. we all had fights every other day, proper fist fights but generally kids of 9 don't hate for long, so why did this kid kill himself?? maybe That's what they do now!! If you got in a few fights as a kid, it did toughen you up for later life. There's nothing more important to learn as how to take a punch/knock rather than give one. I just don't get them anymore, they're all it too.
    I remember the days when a person would die by suicide having lost their wife and children etc...That I understand...this is shyte altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

rusty cole wrote: »
    when I was 9 we all got slagged off relentlessly, Gaylord, stammerer, shyte clothes, Da locked up for IRA activity, pig nose (very bad cleft pallet)...etc etc etc, seriously. we all had fights every other day, proper fist fights but generally kids of 9 don't hate for long, so why did this kid kill himself?? maybe That's what they do now!! If you got in a few fights as a kid, it did toughen you up for later life. There's nothing more important to learn as how to take a punch/knock rather than give one. I just don't get them anymore, they're all it too.
    I remember the days when a person would die by suicide having lost their wife and children etc...That I understand...this is shyte altogether.

What kind of person sees a story about a child's death and immediately posts about how they should've toughened up. Jesus ****ing Christ some of you really lack empathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I really don't understand all the people focusing on him knowing he was gay aged 9. I knew I wasn't straight when I was 4, I just didn't know what that meant. I felt differently about guys than I did about girls, and I was so oblivious to the fact that that was abnormal until the age of 9/10 that I would just openly tell my friends if I had a crush on a guy in a movie etc, and I never had anything sexual around me growing up. Sexuality does not have to be inherently sexual (indeed, asexuality is a sexuality).

I would imagine that this young boy just knew who he was at a young age and was happy about it. Disgusting that it had to end this way, and that people are more shocked by him being comfortable with himself than with the behaviour of his peers. RIP. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Never ever come out in primary school. Or high school for that matter unless it's just obvious as one person was in my high school.

Grey Wind wrote: »
    What kind of person sees a story about a child's death and immediately posts about how they should've toughened up. Jesus ****ing Christ some of you really lack empathy.

it's not a cot death FFS, they took their own lives whatever you wanna call it ok. the "KIND" of person was making an overall view as to how the one time vicissitudes of childhood are no longer endured, what a change in developments in such a short generation gap. cop yourself on, it wasnt a dig at the kid, I think if you come down off your white horse you'll see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

9 years old is far too young to even be aware of what gay is, seems like a messed up situation, I would look into the parents.

It's important for those who wish to use little children as pawns and fodder in their gender and sexuality politics, to ensure they are labeled not simply kids anymore, but 'gay' and 'straight' children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

rusty cole wrote: »
    it's not a cot death FFS, they took their own lives whatever you wanna call it ok. the "KIND" of person was making an overall view as to how the one time vicissitudes of childhood are no longer endured, what a change in developments in such a short generation gap. cop yourself on, it wasnt a dig at the kid, I think if you come down off your white horse you'll see that.

The reality is that suicides like this have always occurred in some form. "The sticks and stones" is bull**** and has always been. The reality is, he could have potentially have been bullied for a long time and that takes a toll, particularly on such a young mind.

I was bullied relentlessly in secondary school, it was rarely physical. I was bigger than those doing the bullying. I punched one in retaliation once, they carried on with the bullying. It caused some pretty terrible damage upon my esteem in the long term and I wasn't far off cracking entirely from it. I'd have chosen physical violence over it any day. So stop being heartless and completely reducing the effects of a pretty vicious form of bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

9 years old is far too young to even be aware of what gay is, seems like a messed up situation, I would look into the parents.

When I was in primary a lad asked to play touch mickeys in the yard. I just ran with it; though it’d be funny like a pretend swordfight but who knows what his motivation was....

we both suffered gay jibes thereafter but he ended up with a wife. I’m still in limbo in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

But... no its not, and multiple posters here (including myself) have pointed out that we knew we were gay before the age of 9. Little kids talk about their ‘boyfriends/girlfriends’ all the time, so of course gay children can know innately which they prefer, and with homosexuality becoming more mainstream and accepted the only difference is that this child knew the word for it and could conceptualise it. Not everything gay has to be sexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Canard wrote: »
    But... no its not, and multiple posters here (including myself) have pointed out that we knew we were gay before the age of 9. Little kids talk about their ‘boyfriends/girlfriends’ all the time, so of course gay children can know innately which they prefer, and with homosexuality becoming more mainstream and accepted the only difference is that this child knew the word for it and could conceptualise it. Not everything gay has to be sexual.

Kids get bullied because of evil and pack mentality.

Any difference weakness will be picked on.

Not having the latest fashion being fat a birthmark a facial disfigurement body odour speech impediment or failure to understand unwritten social rules or just being a dork.

There is never any excuse to pick or bully any child but the reality is bullying in schools in endemic and that is the problem.

This poor child's mother had him going to school with painted nails and saying he was proud to be gay.

Bullying is the problem and it is usually swept under the carpet by schools.

The poor child is not to blame those who bullied him are along with those who turned a blind eye.
    The mother put a big target on his back.

I don't care about sex race religion or any of it.

Kids with stutters would face the same.

We don't need identity politics for young children?

The progressives are saying this child should not have been bullied for being gay and proud so if the bullies picked another target that would be just fine?

What we need to teach and enforce with these young brats is that bullying for ANY REASON is vile evil cowardly and wrong.

It would have helped if the mother had kept her agenda away from her vulnerable son.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Canard wrote: »
    I really don't understand all the people focusing on him knowing he was gay aged 9. I knew I wasn't straight when I was 4, I just didn't know what that meant. I felt differently about guys than I did about girls, and I was so oblivious to the fact that that was abnormal until the age of 9/10 that I would just openly tell my friends if I had a crush on a guy in a movie etc, and I never had anything sexual around me growing up. Sexuality does not have to be inherently sexual (indeed, asexuality is a sexuality).

I would imagine that this young boy just knew who he was at a young age and was happy about it. Disgusting that it had to end this way, and that people are more shocked by him being comfortable with himself than with the behaviour of his peers. RIP. :(

I don't find it in the least bit surprising. The position many Christians take on the issue is that being gay is just an act, it's not a innate characteristic. You often hear them say 'it does't define you', which is just a cleverly veiled - "your not 'gay' per se - you just engage in (sinful) homosexual activity. Therefore to some still, being gay is just about the homosexual sex act and nothing else. If that were true then some posters here with a very low post count might have a point but since it is not true they are talking rubbish.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't find it in the least bit surprising. The position many Christians take on the issue is that being gay is just an act, it's not a innate characteristic. You often hear them say 'it does't define you', which is just a cleverly veiled - "your not 'gay' per se - you just engage in (sinful) homosexual activity. Therefore to some still, being gay is just about the homosexual sex act and nothing else. If that were true then some posters here with a very low post count might have a point but since it is not true they are talking rubbish.

Gay Gay Gay stop for just a moment and look at this story again.

The child was 9 and he was bullied to death like many other children.
    Bullying for any reason should not be tolerated in schools.

I don't care how young those children are they and
    their school have blood on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the story here is not that the poor lad was gay. its that a 9 year old successfully ended his life after only four days of bullying presumably at the hands of other 9 year olds.

Bootlegger wrote: »
    Children got wofeul abuse when I was in school and fag and queer were the insults of choice. No one ever killed themselves though.

Are children less resilent today?

Is suicide now seen as acceptable? Should we bring the stigma back?

Depends on what you mean by being bullied.
    Relentless bullying over years that only gets worse can make suicide seem like the only option.

As regards stigma, the person is dying to escape this life there is no stigma when you're dead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Children got wofeul abuse when I was in school and fag and queer were the insults of choice. No one ever killed themselves though.

You don't know that. I would guess that many did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There has been one suicide. That includes primary and secondary school and that guy was a complete loner and, I hate saying this, but was probably born a suicide case.

I think suicide has become too acceptable. I mean we have **** like 13 Reasons Why where suicide is presented as revenge. Haha yeah right. In the real world bullies move on and you stay dead.

On the other hand, in my town there has been young girls killing themselves over bs like ex bfs. Man wtf? It's not supposed to be this way.

No, it's pretty flucked up alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just cannot understand why we live in a world that promote's bullies highly questionable reasoning of trying to coerce others, like this innocent 9 year old, to die by suicide. Kids who bully other kids their age to suit their own ends are none other than complete weirdos or probably something much worse. In an ideal world; every one of those little kids who bully should clearly suffer a miserable life that will make them unhappy when they become older. But the world around us seems to tell us that it does not work like that under any circumstance towards everybody.

I was bullied myself when I was in primary school. I don't remember every part of it when I was in there. There was one older bully there when I began primary school at 5 years old. I was on a swing in the school playground & accidentally hit him somewhere while he was approaching me on the swing. Next thing was all a blur & than he eventually smacked me on the nose leaving me pouring in blood. I screamed really loudly with all that he gave me when he did it. The mental torment didn't stop until he left the school in the early 2000's. It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life when I was in that school with him. The physical stuff did not end there unfortunately. There were a few guys who used to hit me when on the school bus while either going to school or to go home just to make the feeling worse.

There was one rough fella there who used to thump me in class & frequently call me a "girl" for several years. ****ing hell; it was utter torment to endure it. Several years later; I met the same guy again in college & upgraded his mental bullying to say the word "gay" or "weirdo" whenever we used to walk past each other at any point during the day. I've never talked to him again after hearing those short verbal encounters. Carrying out a good severe bollocking on him could be a very ideal situation for suppressing the rude & aggressive little asshole. But I don't think that is wise to do that as I do not have a real violent predisposition on others.

Whatever happened to influence the little guy in Denver to suicide is an extremely traumatic experience to endure for his family. May he R.I.P. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

And where do these kids get it from? Someone who bullied me consistently all of a sudden became a gay rights activist before the marriage referendum because it was suddenly cool to be a friend of the gays. These kind of people don't sit down and ethically feel out a situation from any angle, they just look around them at what their peer group say and bow to it. Gay pride is now an inclusive straight corporate banking festival and I stay away from it and spend the day in my local gay pub so I don't have to put up with the eejits enjoying the 'festival' with little understanding or empathy.

the story here is not that the poor lad was gay. its that a 9 year old successfully ended his life after only four days of bullying presumably at the hands of other 9 year olds.

Are you for real? the story here is that the other 9 year olds clocked that being 'gay' was wrong and 'other' and went for this kid in a big way. You don't hang out with kids that much do you? Kids as young as 5 are able to vocalise big emotions and they can't compartmentalise them like we do.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Are you for real? the story here is that the other 9 year olds clocked that being 'gay' was wrong and 'other' and went for this kid in a big way.

I would have thought that the real story is that the suicide of ANY 9 year old child, due to ANY form of bullying would be equally tragic. Bullying doesn't care what 'excuse' it uses.
    they can't compartmentalise them like we do

In terms of psychobabble what does this mean ? it certainly doesn't seem to be happening on unsocial media.

I would have thought that the real story is that the suicide of ANY 9 year old child, due to ANY form of bullying would be equally tragic. Bullying doesn't care what 'excuse' it uses.

In terms of psychobabble what does this mean ? it certainly doesn't seem to be happening on unsocial media.

This is a gay issue specifically, he was bullied for being gay, someone at home told these kids that being gay was wrong and sick and they came to school with that in their head.

It means they can't try and understand why the other kids are saying what they are saying, all they hear are the words and take them to heart, hardly psychobabble but whatever.

It's a bulling issue. If I get bullied for having red hair is it bulling issue or a red hair issue?

It's a bulling issue. If I get bullied for having red hair is it bulling issue or a red hair issue?

Having red hair is not equal in any way to being gay but you will continue to try and be reductive won't you.
    It's not abstract he was picked on because he was gay, people in the lives of these children where telling them that it was wrong and unnatural to be gay the kids came to school and told him to kill himself because he was gay that is homophobia. Yes it was bullying but it was not generalised neener neener neener bullying he was targeted because he came out. That particular school needs to specifically address homophobic bullying.

Having red hair is not equal in any way to being gay but you will continue to try and be reductive won't you.
    It's not abstract he was picked on because he was gay, people in the lives of these children where telling them that it was wrong and unnatural to be gay the kids came to school and told him to kill himself because he was gay that is homophobia. Yes it was bullying but it was not generalised neener neener neener bullying he was targeted because he came out. That particular school needs to specifically address homophobic bullying.

kids bully other kids for being different. Any difference they see they will pick on. Then there is a problem at that age of pack mentality. If a kid sees another kid being picked on for a difference they will join in even tho they wouldn't have started it.

It is a bulling problem of course.

The nicest of parents can have kids that bully. Most bulling is learned from other kids in thier environment.

kids bully other kids for being different. Any difference they see they will pick on. Then there is a problem at that age of pack mentality. If a kid sees another kid being picked on for a difference they will join in even tho they wouldn't have started it.

It is a bulling problem of course.

The nicest of parents can have kids that bully. Most bulling is learned from other kids in thier environment.

Yes and where do those kids learn it from? this school clearly needs to talk to the kids about the lgbt community and address specifically what it means to be gay. General anti bullying lessons are given at every school, they need to educate on gay issues, that was why the kid was picked on.

Yes and where do those kids learn it from? this school clearly needs to talk to the kids about the lgbt community and address specifically what it means to be gay. General anti bullying lessons are given at every school, they need to educate on gay issues, that was why the kid was picked on.

Most likely from other kids too

No just teach kids not to bully. If kids did not bully then this would not have happened. NO need to teach a 9 YO about identifying as a sexual orientation when they don't even have a sexual orientation at that age.

Most likely from other kids too

No just teach kids not to bully. If kids did not bully then this would not have happened. NO need to teach a 9 YO about identifying as a sexual orientation when they don't even have a sexual orientation at that age.

He's being used as gender political fodder. His tragic death due to severe bullying would never have made the western international news or this thread if it wasn't for the "gay" angle. The political users of this could not care less about child bullying unless the word gay is mentioned, that's also a tragedy and grave disservice to every other child victim of severe bullying.

He's being used as gender political fodder. His tragic death due to severe bullying would never have made the western international news or this thread if it wasn't for the "gay" angle. The political users of this could not care less about child bullying unless the word gay is mentioned, that's also a tragedy and grave disservice to every other child victim of severe bullying.

Ridiculous. When the orlando shooting happened several people in the media tried to distance from the fact that it was an attack on the gay community, the shooter was disgusted by gay males in particular and wanted to kill them. It wasn't just an act of terrorism or religious fanaticism it was specific to the lgbt community. This bullying was specific to this kid because he was gay, when you treat an illness you don't just hand out antibiotics you find the specific problem and you treat it.

Ridiculous. When the orlando shooting happened several people in the media tried to distance from the fact that it was an attack on the gay community, the shooter was disgusted by gay males in particular and wanted to kill them. It wasn't just an act of terrorism or religious fanaticism it was specific to the lgbt community. This bullying was specific to this kid because he was gay, when you treat an illness you don't just hand out antibiotics you find the specific problem and you treat it.

Now you are make unequal comparisons. Motives of an adult and 9 yo's are not comparable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement