Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9yr old boy kills himself due to anti-gay bullying

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Now you are make unequal comparisons. Motives of an adult and 9 yo's are not comparable.

The 9 year olds behaviour is learned education is needed about what being 'gay' is and I was comparing the attitude to the orlando shootings about the motives of the media, 'don't say it was against the gay community it was just a terrorist attack don't say it was because the child was gay and the kids didn't understand just say it was bullying sure being gay is like having red hair or being fat lets reduce it and hope that there will be no conversation about it. Yes, quiet down it was just normal everyday bullying that's all nothing to see here folks, watch out for the gay agenda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

He's being used as gender political fodder. His tragic death due to severe bullying would never have made the western international news or this thread if it wasn't for the "gay" angle. The political users of this could not care less about child bullying unless the word gay is mentioned, that's also a tragedy and grave disservice to every other child victim of severe bullying.

You're the one trying to twist it to suit yourself (quite badly I might add). We hear about gay teenagers' and young adults' suicides far too often, unfortunately the community isn't exactly short on examples. What is truly shocking in this case is indeed his age, but that does not overshadow the cause. There have been numerous other reports in recent years of young children (prepubescent) also killing themselves for other reasons, e.g. bullying for other reasons and even social media, so why were they even reported on if, as you say, it's all about being gay? Laughable post. You can search for them yourself if you're actually interested, but you're probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The 9 year olds behaviour is learned education is needed about what being 'gay' is and I was comparing the attitude to the orlando shootings about the motives of the media, 'don't say it was against the gay community it was just a terrorist attack don't say it was because the child was gay and the kids didn't understand just say it was bullying sure being gay is like having red hair or being fat lets reduce it and hope that there will be no conversation about it. Yes, quiet down it was just normal everyday bullying that's all nothing to see here folks, watch out for the gay agenda!

Kids bully... every school has bulling... why? Because it is usual child behavior to pick out kids for being different and to hunt in packs. Not saying it should be tolerated or prevented by the school but it normal childish behavior to have the ability to bully another child for standing out. Schools need to teach bulling for any reason cant be tolerated not just pick out one reason as you say.

How many kids/teens throughout the world commit suicide because of bulling. Rare but I would say a few, all for different reasons as well so why just pick out one reason not to bully.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Kids bully... every school has bulling... why? Because it is usual child behavior to pick out kids for being different and to hunt in packs. Not saying it should be tolerated or prevented by the school but it normal childish behavior to have the ability to bully another child for standing out. Schools need to teach bulling for any reason cant be tolerated not just pick out one reason as you say.

How many kids/teens throughout the world commit suicide because of bulling. Rare but I would say a few, all for different reasons as well so why just pick out one reason not to bully.

I'm not saying they shouldn't educate on anti-bullying but they need to address the kids on lgbt issues in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Canard wrote: »
    You're the one trying to twist it to suit yourself (quite badly I might add). We hear about gay teenagers' and young adults' suicides far too often, unfortunately the community isn't exactly short on examples. What is truly shocking in this case is indeed his age, but that does not overshadow the cause. There have been numerous other reports in recent years of young children (prepubescent) also killing themselves for other reasons, e.g. bullying for other reasons and even social media, so why were they even reported on if, as you say, it's all about being gay? Laughable post. You can search for them yourself if you're actually interested, but you're probably not.

Where's the threads on boards about 9 years in North America who committed suicide for any other types of severe bullying ?

Rather than trying to attack me personally for highlighting the point and in the vain hope you're going to silence the point, you need to learn to handle the fact that all severe bullying should be highlighted and fought against not just gay bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

This is a gay issue specifically, he was bullied for being gay, someone at home told these kids that being gay was wrong and sick and they came to school with that in their head.

It means they can't try and understand why the other kids are saying what they are saying, all they hear are the words and take them to heart, hardly psychobabble but whatever.

How can you possibly know this?

This is absolutely not a gay issue, it is a mental health issue, if it was a gay issue all gay people who were 'bullied' would be committing suicide, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

jim salter wrote: »

This is absolutely not a gay issue, it is a mental health issue, if it was a gay issue all gay people who were 'bullied' would be committing suicide, no?

What mother here would let her 9 year old boy wear false nails?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Neyite wrote: »
    Bullying terrifies me. I was chronically bullied for a large part of childhood. Theoretically I was bullied for my glasses, hair colour, physical appearance, but as an adult I can see that if I had perfect vision, different hair or whatever, the bullies would have found something - anything- as a 'reason' to bully. If they could find nothing, I'm sure they would have settled on me being gay even if I wasn't.

Bullies bully because they themselves are unhappy, and because of dysfunction in their own lives. They bully because the adults in their lives aren't vigilant enough, or play down the bad behaviour, or because the school has a lax punishment policy for low level harassment. They bully because they can. A bullied child having to go into the arena of their torture daily and their self esteem and mental health as the bullies continue picking on your kid for months or years without punishment from anyone would drive a child to despair.

The trouble is that mental health resources for our children are pretty much non-existent. So while teachers or parents might see the child being troubled by something, accessing the professional help in a timely manner is very difficult. It's also difficult to achieve quick results in curtailing the bullying but it's about time that schools have a zero tolerance for any bullying starting from low level stuff all the way up. You might get the asshole parents stepping up to address it if they know that their kid is risking expulsion.

I think in most cases the specifics or the 'reasons' for the bullying are not the issue, as ye see yourself 'glasses' 'hair colour', it's so arbitrary but the key component is a perception of weakness. I wonder what kids are like these days. If i had a kid the mandatory thing for them would be martial arts from a young age for so many reasons, the main one being confidence.

I think no matter how bubbly a kid is if they don't know how to handle threatening situations without adults they will be on edge and can become a target in the face of teasing / bullying and once you're that guy or girl, it can last a whole life time. I think we may be focusing too much on 'tell a teacher', 'don't hit back'(speculation on my part). Anti bullying campaign should start with learning to defend yourself. And with everyone being more confident in their own abilities, being taught respect and playing physically it will lead to less bullying imo.

jim salter wrote: »

This particular case is linked to lgbt issues and mental health, someone from lgbt health should be brought into the school to talk to the kids.

Where do the children get the idea that being gay is bad and worth dying over??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

This particular case is linked to lgbt issues and mental health, someone from lgbt health should be brought into the school to talk to the kids.

Where do the children get the idea that being gay is bad and worth dying over??

Why is it that only the bullying of and health of little children labeled lgbti should be dealt with ?

Why should such straight / lgbti labels be placed on little children, and why should little children be divided up into such categories in the first place ?

Bully's don't care what excuse they use for bullying.

Why is it that only the bullying of and health of little children labeled lgbti should be dealt with ?

Why should such straight / lgbti labels be placed on little children, and why should little children be divided up into such categories in the first place ?

Bully's don't care what excuse they use for bullying.

We aren't generalising here this thread is about a specific case but lgbt bullying in schools is rife there was a campign in Irish schools a few years ago and initiatives in a few primary schools.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/are-schools-standing-up-against-homophobic-bullying-1.2856766
    'A recent survey of more than 2,000 members of the LGBT community in Ireland found that, despite the marriage referendum, only eight per cent of respondents feel schools are safe places and fully inclusive of gay or transgender students'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-41273133
    'Two-thirds of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) young people in Northern Ireland do not feel welcomed or valued in their post-primary school.

Almost half had also experienced bullying as a result of their sexual orientation or gender identity'.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/primary-school-resource-to-tackle-homophobic-bullying-426221.html 2016 With research showing most children discover they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) by age 12, a new primary school resource has been launched which is designed to tackle homophobic bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Where's the threads on boards about 9 years in North America who committed suicide for any other types of severe bullying ?

Rather than trying to attack me personally for highlighting the point and in the vain hope you're going to silence the point, you need to learn to handle the fact that all severe bullying should be highlighted and fought against not just gay bullying.

I didn't say there were threads, I said the western media (a much larger body of information) did report on them, whereas your original claim was that they didn't, so that was inaccurate. You're perfectly entitled to start one yourself, if you want.

I'm not attacking you, I just thought your post had the same dramatic undertone as "all lives matter" or "what about straight pride?", so forgive me if your concerns were coming from a good place. I have no idea why you think anyone is saying we should suppress 'non-gay' bullying stories either, because no one is. :confused: Because again, if this child had been older, it wouldn't have been as shocking. It's the combination of his age and the reason that caused the story to get so much attention, not some gay bias or something. I completely agree with highlighting stories of severe bullying, I just disagree that this story was given excessive attention.

Advertisement