Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed for word puzzle that is keeping me up at night

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Technically the two 6 year olds in one of the possible answers from sum of 13 could be twins which would mean the oldest twin (by minutes) liked yogurt and also would satisfy the criteria.

It's only a makey-uppy story you know! But no, I'd say if they're twins, there isn't an older one as they have the same birthday. A more plausible argument would be if the two 6 year olds were "Irish Twins" i.e. born within 12 months of each other. So, for example, one could be born in January, the other in November and John & James bump into each other in December. That way, they could both be 6 but the January child is definitely older...

Anyway, here's another:
    There are three boxes on a table. One of the boxes contains Gold and the other two are empty. There is a printed message on each box. One of the messages is true and the other two are false. The first box says 'The Gold is not here'. The Second box says 'The Gold is not here'. The Third box says 'The Gold is in the Second box'. Which box has the Gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,700 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Useful after S - must be Shandy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think I've worked this out.
    The first box contains the gold assuming that the message on the first box is false, the second is true and the third is false. Any other assignment of true & false to the messages results in an impossible conflict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

jiltloop wrote: »
    I think I've worked this out.
    The first box contains the gold assuming that the message on the first box is false, the second is true and the third is false. Any other assignment of true & false to the messages results in an impossible conflict.

Same answer as myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

There are three light switches outside a room.

You cannot see into the room nor use another person or device to communicate with.

You may enter the room once to examine the three light bulbs. How do you know which switch corresponds with which bulb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

poster2525 wrote: »

You cannot see into the room nor use another person or device to communicate with.

You may enter the room once to examine the three light bulbs. How do you know which switch corresponds with which bulb?
    Turn on switch one for a minute, then turn off Switch one and turn on two. Now enter the room. If bulb on its switch 2, if the bulb is off and warp switch 1, if off and cold Switch 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I open the door of the room and turn them off and on in turn to figure it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I open the door of the room and turn them off and on in turn to figure it out.

Assume door is locked and you can only enter once. Can't look under the door or through a window. :)

Put switch 1 on and leave on. Leave switch 2 off. Put switch 3 on for a few minutes then knock off. Enter room. The light that is on corresponds to switch 1. The light that is off and cold corresponds to switch 2. The light that is off and hot/warm is switch 3.

• Advertisement

I haven’t a clue what’s going on in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Here is the answer:
    First piece of info: product of their ages is 36 so all of the factors of 36 are:

36, 1, 1 Sum: 38
    18, 2, 1 Sum: 21
    12, 3, 1 Sum: 16
    9, 4, 1 Sum: 14
    9, 2, 2 Sum: 13
    6, 6, 1 Sum: 13
    4, 3, 3 Sum: 10

Second piece of info: sum of ages is same as number of that bus. James can see the bus so he knows what the sum of their ages is. James then says "that's not enough info." so that means that there must be two sets of ages that have the same sum (two sets have 13 as sum above) so it has to be one of those i.e. 9, 2, 2 or 6, 6, 1.

Last piece of information: eldest likes yogurt implying that there must be an eldest. The two possibilities are 9, 2, 2 or 6, 6, 1 so it must be 9, 2, 2 given that the 6 year olds are twins and no eldest!

Do you regret going for the girl instead of the job?

How do you block your answer with the black?

I still don't know what a tracker mortgage is :(

It's a secrert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

[noparse]
    Text goes here
    [/noparse]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Black bars matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Do you regret going for the girl instead of the job?

Well, the job came with a free anorak, so yeah!

Advertisement