Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco fruit

Options
  • 28-08-2018 9:36am

Anyone else noticed how bad their fruit is. I stopped buying fruit there and just chances grapes there last night and half the batch is soft and half rotten.

This is the last time I trust fruit from Tesco, trying to compete with lidl and aldi shouldn’t mean dropping quality.

Whose the best for good fruit and veg at the moment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I tried them all and to be honest the only decent fruit, with any shelf life, I have gotten is in a local greengrocers. Tesco and Dunnes are mediocre at best, Aldi and Lidl are cheap but the fruit doesn't keep, for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cargen

Anyone else noticed how bad their fruit is. I stopped buying fruit there and just chances grapes there last night and half the batch is soft and half rotten.

This is the last time I trust fruit from Tesco, trying to compete with lidl and aldi shouldn’t mean dropping quality.

Grapes are supposed to get soft after few days. You should ask yourself how is it possible that Fruit from some supermarkets stay hard for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A lot of people just look at price and forget about quality.

For Eg we sell 10kg queens/ roosters for €5.99 they are good quality and taste great. The bigger shops offer 10kg bags of whites for less , problem is they taste crap.

Get what you pay for in slot of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I tried them all and to be honest the only decent fruit, with any shelf life, I have gotten is in a local greengrocers. Tesco and Dunnes are mediocre at best, Aldi and Lidl are cheap but the fruit doesn't keep, for me anyway.

Same - I stopped buying fruit & veg in SuperValu over a year ago for this very reason - it seems to be on its last legs on the shelves, and goes off very quickly. Local greengrocer is both better value and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I buy most of my fruit and veg in Lidl - berries don't have a long shelf life, but that's as I'd expect from soft fruit.  Bananas, apples, pears etc - no major issue either & as I shop for just myself, I love it since you can now buy one or two apples since they got rid of plastic packaging.  Peppers, tomatoes etc all stay as long as I'd expect.

• Advertisement

cargen wrote: »
    Grapes are supposed to get soft after few days. You should ask yourself how is it possible that Fruit from some supermarkets stay hard for months.

I mean soft as in no good, can nearly put your finger through them. Anyway next spring I am going to try to grow as much as possible unfortunately grapes don’t like our climate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's a load of fruit of all sorts consumed within my house and there's no particular issue with any we get from Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Shelflife wrote:
    For Eg we sell 10kg queens/ roosters for €5.99 they are good quality and taste great. The bigger shops offer 10kg bags of whites for less , problem is they taste crap.

Sure theres no taste off roosters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Sure theres no taste off roosters!

But are they floury?!

The cardinal sin of spud purchasing - not buying floury potatoes.

We used to call spuds 'poppies' in the sunny south east by the way - not sure where that ever came from!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I think there's a general issue with grapes at present - seen "furry" grapes in Tesco, Aldi & Marks & Spencer over the past few weeks, and tend take time picking a punnet.

In M&S, so many had "furry" ones that I just didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Shop first thing mid week and you’ll see plenty of local restaurant owners buying in bulk in Lidl, loads of fruit and breads

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

slave1 wrote: »
    Shop first thing mid week and you’ll see plenty of local restaurant owners buying in bulk in Lidl, loads of fruit and breads

and is there anything wrong with that?

The fruit grows on the same bushes and trees, the veg and salad grow in the same fields and the bread comes from the same bakery as "brands".

Sometimes its far easier to go to a local store than to wait for the twice or once a week delivery from the food service companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

CeilingFly wrote: »
    The fruit grows on the same bushes and trees, the veg and salad grow in the same fields

Not always, there can be a big variation in quality and flavour amongst suppliers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    CeilingFly wrote: »
    and is there anything wrong with that?

The fruit grows on the same bushes and trees, the veg and salad grow in the same fields and the bread comes from the same bakery as "brands".

Sometimes its far easier to go to a local store than to wait for the twice or once a week delivery from the food service companies.

Think you missed my point, if restaurants are purchasing there then you know it's good quality as it's their livelihood, personally it's Aldi/Lidl for us about twice a week, kale, spinach, peppers, carrots, onions, tomatoes, bananas, mangoes, apples and oranges, but in small quantities and eat as soon as possible.
    Oh, frozen fruit for smoothies also

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement