Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase and additional costs added

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

ok a lot to think about.

No mention of the charges in my lease. I appreciate all the info. This is quite confusing but I will admit to being very very nervous about saying anything.

I am just freaking out I suppose. I dont know how I can come up with about 300 extra per month (including rent increase). the rent pressure thing is only applicable to rent though - other charges can increase yearly.

There seems to be a lot I am not aware of but how I could enact it I dont know. Illegal or not he can still make me leave

You are paying almost €2000 a month in rent for an apartment by yourself at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Refuse to pay the extra charges. Just pay the rent increase of its properly due. Refuse to sign another lease as he may add or change terms. You are not obliged to.

If you think he will change the locks tell him you will get a locksmith to break in and tell him you will deduct the cost from the rent and are notifying him in advance about the out of hours booking costs that could be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

yeah I pay 1800 ...not an apt ...a flat.

cheapest I could get 2 years ago and it was very difficult to find

when i was struggling to find somewhere 2 years ago I looked into shared accomodation aswell. Very expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a lot of well meaning legal-beaglese being spoken here.

What specifically can the OP do if the LL sends a couple of lads around to change the locks. Where does s/he put his/her stuff, and sleep that night?

It may be illegal - but the guards won't get involved ( civil matter). Threshold give warm fuzzy advice but don't do in person enforcement.

Remember, speeding is illegal. So is wife beating and shoplifting. But they still happen every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What specifically can the OP do if the LL sends a couple of lads around to change the locks. Where does s/he put his/her stuff, and sleep that night?

Exactly.

Its not much use to hear you can win your case against the LL months after the fact and get some money for it if you are facing being on the street in the situation.

• Advertisement

Thanks....this is what scares me.

I know if I cause hassle the LL will just put my stuff on the street

I cant stop him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

It may be illegal - but the guards won't get involved ( civil matter). Threshold give warm fuzzy advice but don't do in person enforcement.

Remember, speeding is illegal. So is wife beating and shoplifting. But they still happen every day.

I thought the landlord game was a surefire way to the poor house for landlords and all tenants will try kill your first born based on posts on this forum. You seem to be implying LLs can just dump people on the street with no consequences. I'm very confused.

Surely the OP would get a taxi to a hotel, straight to RTB, get an order for illegal eviction and get a nice chunk of change (plus their hotel costs back) in the process. Or is this understanding wrong?

Browney7 wrote: »
    I thought the landlord game was a surefire way to the poor house for landlords and all tenants will try kill your first born based on posts on this forum. You seem to be implying LLs can just dump people on the street with no consequences. I'm very confused.

Surely the OP would get a taxi to a hotel, straight to RTB, get an order for illegal eviction and get a nice chunk of change (plus their hotel costs back) in the process. Or is this understanding wrong?

There are consequences, and nasty ones too, but - they are not immediate. There is a process.

How quickly would PRTB step in and pay the OPs hotel room and back into the property?

I think when tenants have the neck to stick it out, LLs dont force them out on the street.

But in this case the OP has stated the LL would eject her and she as a single woman doesnt have the neck to just stand by and refuse to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The LL could just eject her today either though? It's illegal either way.
    I don't think paying enormous sums of money in case he decides he's a scumbag is the way to go.

Surely the OP can call the guards if it happens.

No I am definitely too nervous I suppose.

I pay a high enough rent and I am finding it difficult to pay a higher one.

My experience of 2 years ago was very scary. I never thought of myself being so close to homelessness - I always thought homelessness wouldn't be applicable to myself - prof female in a permanent secure job.

Not the case though. Very frightening.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Surely the OP can call the guards if it happens.

Civil matter, they wont get involved.

I think realistically there are 2 options.

1. Accept the increase.

2. Say you will accept the increase, but get all your ducks in a row, get it all in writing etc. As soon as you have it all in writing, open a case with PRTB. He cant evict you if you do this and he will be very wary of how he proceeds.

However, doing 2 more than likely means you will be looking for a new place when the part 4 is up.

yeah...thanks.

I dont think I have a choice really despite all I have learnt here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

He could raid her laundry and start wearing her clothes around town too. There’s no actual threat from the landlord other than the OPs clearly nervous disposition and you’re just doing her a disservice by feeding it.

It sounds like the LL is a bit of a cute whore who thinks he can exploit the OP and her ignorance of the law. He may just as easily back down once she states her legal rights.

5uspect wrote: »
    He may just as easily back down once she states her legal rights.

He may - but if he is chancing an increase as described he will more than likely get rid of her as quick as he can after so that he can draw up a new lease for a new tenant with extra non rent charges.

see...I agree

Thanks again for all the replies. I was absolutely ignorant of a lot of this ...I will try and read everything ...and I would be very nervous about objecting to any LL about an increase.

Renting is so precarious though. I know we have rights etc but how are they enforced I dont know. Rents are so high and places are so difficult why would any LL put up with someone who simply cant afford the rent and additional charges.

It is my problem not his. He can rent it out in a flash.

While I consider it my home you can never really have that security can you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Lets say hypothetically the LL does changed the locks, what is stopping the OP just turning up with a locksmith to re-enter the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

The OP can eject them from his property(As it is his, as he is leasing it). He can ask them to leave or use physical force. The same as any other intruder into his home. it becomes a police matter when its an illegal home invasion.

Lets say hypothetically the LL does changed the locks, what is stopping the OP just turning up with a locksmith to re-enter the property?

But most likely he will put someone else in it and the OP wont be able to gain access or feel safe even if she does.

....... wrote: »
    But most likely he will put someone else in it and the OP wont be able to gain access or feel safe even if she does.

I'm not seeing how that is a "most likely" scenario. The only way the LL could evict the tenant is if they change the locks with the tenant is out. As if they enter the property when the tenant is there then the tenant can just call the guards as the LL would be trespassing. To get a new tenant in place during the time the OP is out the LL would need to time it well. They'd need to change the locks, move all the OP's stuff out and move a new tenant in. They'd need to be paying close attention to know when they have the time to do all that. The other option is they change the locks and sit in the property themselves (or have a friend do it), but in that case the OP could just call the guards as they would be trespassing.

The only way it seems complicated is if the LL gets a new tenant in place, but that seems like an extremely unlikely scenario.

• Advertisement

To be clear OP, is there an explicit or implied threat of forced illegal eviction from the LL?

I'm not seeing how that is a "most likely" scenario. The only way the LL could evict the tenant is if they change the locks with the tenant is out. As if they enter the property when the tenant is there then the tenant can just call the guards as the LL would be trespassing. To get a new tenant in place during the time the OP is out the LL would need to time it well. They'd need to change the locks, move all the OP's stuff out and move a new tenant in. They'd need to be paying close attention to know when they have the time to do all that. The other option is they change the locks and sit in the property themselves (or have a friend do it), but in that case the OP could just call the guards as they would be trespassing.

The only way it seems complicated is if the LL gets a new tenant in place, but that seems like an extremely unlikely scenario.

The bolded.

The Guards wont get involved - its a civil matter.

The bolded.

If 3 men where dragging her out of her home? im sure they would or someone in her house without her permission?

Also - I think we are getting off topic and adding unnecessary depth to the matter.

The bolded.

If the locks are changed while the OP is out then yes I agree, the guards won't want to know. If the LL turns up and starts trying to turf the OP's stuff out while they are there then that is at the very least trespassing and potentially some other crimes on top depending on how threatening/violent the LL is about the whole thing. Those are criminal issue and are very much in the guards wheel house.

It defo would be more implied

Basically what was said was ....while I know the rent can only increase by 4% there is huge demand around at the moment and properties across the road are going for xxxx amount. I like you living you but you need to pay this extra amount to cover my costs etce etcc. I need to pay my bills etc

It defo would be more implied

Basically what was said was ....while I know the rent can only increase by 4% there is huge demand around at the moment and properties across the road are going for xxxx amount. I like you living you but you need to pay this extra amount to cover my costs etce etcc. I need to pay my bills etc

What costs of his have increased other than his greed?

Even if you are forced to leave he can’t increase the rent in a RPZ unless he does major works on the property.

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones

If he just goes and lets the place with a massive rent hike you have a case against him.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    If 3 men where dragging her out of her home? im sure they would or someone in her house without her permission?

I specifically answered on the bolded.

No - the Guards will not get involved if someone phones and says they were a tenant who the locks have been changed on and now they cannot gain access.

I dont want to sound alarmist - but you can barely get them out these days when someone is actually assaulting someone.

Landlord/tenant issues = civil matter.

We all know the LL will be in serious (financial) trouble for the above - but he may see it as worth if if the increase is refused. How much is 2 years increase worth? 300 * 12 * 2 = 7200

How much would he be fined for an illegal eviction?

I specifically answered on the bolded.

No - the Guards will not get involved if someone phones and says they were a tenant who the locks have been changed on and now they cannot gain access.

I dont want to sound alarmist - but you can barely get them out these days when someone is actually assaulting someone.

Landlord/tenant issues = civil matter.

We all know the LL will be in serious (financial) trouble for the above - but he may see it as worth if if the increase is refused. How much is 2 years increase worth? 300 * 12 * 2 = 7200

How much would he be fined for an illegal eviction?

It can be as bold as you want - Repeating that its in bold doesn't change the fact that its wrong.

A Landlord, like anyone else, cannot break entry to a house unless he has went through the right legal processes.

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It can be as bold as you want - Repeating that its in bold doesn't change the fact that its wrong.

A Landlord, like anyone else, cannot break entry to a house unless he has went through the right legal processes.

Thomas - you asked would the Guards not get involved if someone was dragging someone out of their home.

I never said anything about anyone dragging anyone anywhere.

I quite specifically agreed with the point I bolded where the poster said the LL could wait til the OP was out, change the locks and then stay in there or have a friend stay in there. The Guards will NOT get involved in that situation.

I can tell you with certainty they will not. They will tell the OP it is a civil matter. Ive seen this happen.

Advertisement