Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase and additional costs added

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, I've been thinking some more about your situation.

I'd strongly encourage you to talk to the MS Society, or some similar disability-support organisation, about your medium to long-term housing needs.

Because:

What you have at the moment is fine (assuming you can find a way thru the current crisis) - while you can work full time to pay for it. And at the moment, you are well-enough paid to be over the threshold for social housing assistance. (I'm assuming this, based on the rent you are paying.)

But what will happen when you can no longer manage to work full time? You would then quality for social housing based on your income - but there likely won't be anywhere suitable that's available immediately. At very least, you will need a stash of money to tide you over in the interim. And even if you have this, needing to move when you are more disabled than you are now would be a pain in the ***.

So I'm wondering if addressing this sooner rather than later might be a good idea. I know that some of the voluntary-housing associations (non-profit companies that run social housing like council housing) also have some properties that aren't funded in the usual way, and so can be let them to people who aren't on the council housing list. I don't know specific details of any schemes, but wonder if something like this might be worth considering. Hopefully the disability support organisations might be able to point you in the right direction here.

Best of luck with resolving the current issue - and the long term one.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

thanks all...yeah I have gone home to get out of the flat and try and relax. I wrote to prtb and wait on their reply.

Unfortunately I dont qualify for any social housing or medical cards etc. Fair enough as I work full time. I am lucky in that I have a permanent job and they can accommodate me while I can still work. Even now when I can work from home if I really need to so I am lucky in that sense. For the future I dont know. It would prob meaning taking early retirement from work on medical grounds and leaving Dublin and moving home. I work for the government so again that is possible. But hopefully I will just be restricted to a chair for a few years :)

Money wise again I have savings but they are in one of those long terms savings accounts and I cant touch without notice. I dont have debts to this loan to cover the maintenance costs would be the first. I got approval but I havent drawn it down yet.

Unfortunately I dont qualify for a mortgage which makes sense. Ideally I would like to remain working as long as possible. I dont mind renting but it is hard when things go bad.

At the moment I still dont know what to do but I have to make a decision soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anything he has done so far is wrong as it all has to be in writing or email.

Do not accept any changes and don't sign a new lease.

All the information is there for you from many previous posts.

Best of luck and don't take any crap off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I don't mean to be rude OP but taking out a loan to cover a recurring cost of indefinite duration that you can't afford sounds like madness. You could end up being in more trouble with the bank than you would with the landlord.

hey folks to say thanks to all. So I tried to stand my ground re the additional costs but yeah LL has given me 2 weeks to leave. Have to be out my end of this month. Least he hasnt kicked me out straight away. I really couldnt afford the additional charges on top of the rent increase. He was very very angry when I even attempted to discuss it with him. Back to searching now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

hey folks to say thanks to all. So I tried to stand my ground re the additional costs but yeah LL has given me 2 weeks to leave. Have to be out my end of this month. Least he hasnt kicked me out straight away. I really couldnt afford the additional charges on top of the rent increase. He was very very angry when I even attempted to discuss it with him. Back to searching now

That’s not legal - you need to spreak with someone immediately. Contact threshold and under no circumstances leave at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That’s not legal - you need to spreak with someone immediately. Contact threshold and under no circumstances leave at the end of the month

Absoloutly contact threshold & rtb right away. I'd go as far as to contact your local TD etc.

I'm sorry you have to go through this op. Some people think it's okay to pick on the vurable.

Greedy hungry pig of a person. This boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Ummm, has he previously served you a valid notice? Refusal to accept an illegal rent increase does not give him a reason to serve notice. We've already pointed out you're being ripped off, so you do want to move on from this, but in your own time, not his.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭airy fairy

While the landlord is acting illegally, the OP has already stated earlier that she felt this would happen and felt unsafe if she stayed on for the amount of time she was legally allowed to stay.

She's in a decent position however, financially. As she has being paying a fairly substantial rent already.
    I would advise not paying anymore rent as chances are you won't get your deposit back.

No wonder the landlord is cross with you, it'll be hard to find another tenant to pay the rent you've being paying.

And you are not getting into further debt by getting a loan to cover the rent increase.

****ty situation.

well shouted at me and told me to leave so I dont know if that counts. I l know thats not valid and I am entitled to longer notice but what am I do. PRTB will help but wont stop him putting my stuff on the street. I'm lucky I got the 2 weeks. I didnt even want to give my name to the prtb in case he found out. He is also making me pay backpayment of Eur 50 per month for additional costs since the start of the year. I need the deposit and reference so my hands are tied.

• Advertisement

Please do not leave and do not allow him to speak to you like that.

He can not do what he is doing and if anything happens like ilegal eviction etc he will be liable for all costs and compensation.

Call the Gardai if he comes anywhere near you or contacts you threatening you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

Try to keep all communication to text message and e-mails and make sure to keep them all.
    You may have a bit of hassle finding a new place but look forward to receiving a five figure sum when this is all done.

€1,800 is mad money to be paying to rent a 1 bed apartment in South Dublin. Why even live there with that massive commute?
    You'll have no problem finding somewhere if you are willing to pay that much.
    Given your finances appear to be very tight, I'd suggest sharing a place and I am sure you would easily halve your rent.

well shouted at me and told me to leave so I dont know if that counts. I l know thats not valid and I am entitled to longer notice but what am I do. PRTB will help but wont stop him putting my stuff on the street. I'm lucky I got the 2 weeks. I didnt even want to give my name to the prtb in case he found out. He is also making me pay backpayment of Eur 50 per month for additional costs since the start of the year. I need the deposit and reference so my hands are tied.

He won't give you the deposit most likely if he is going the route he is.

Do not make contact or answer any calls.

If in any way you feel you are in danger again call the Gardai.

If he has shouted at you and threatened already then you need to go to your local Garda station and report this.

You now have a case against him big time for everything he has done so as suggested before keep all correspondence such as calls, times, knocks on door etc etc.

He has not served legal eviction so do not leave.

Why are you paying the extra €50 and I hope you are doing through the bank and not cash as he will deny.

guys my flat has already been rented. The new tenant has been shown the place already. It took about a day. I know its illegal and I know it is wrong but what am I to do. Even with threshold and prtb they cant stop him. Yeah he will be fined and when all is done I may get my deposit back but noone can stop the LL. He wouldnt care about the legal side. My lease is not even up until October. Letters and legal stuff cant stop him throwing me out.

I know everyone said it here but Eur 1800 is not that high. I have started searching...I dont mind sharing but it is up to the LL to accept me.

guys my flat has already been rented. The new tenant has been shown the place already. It took about a day. I know its illegal and I know it is wrong but what am I to do. Even with threshold and prtb they cant stop him. Yeah he will be fined and when all is done I may get my deposit back but noone can stop the LL. He wouldnt care about the legal side. My lease is not even up until October. Letters and legal stuff cant stop him throwing me out.

I know everyone said it here but Eur 1800 is not that high. I have started searching...I dont mind sharing but it is up to the LL to accept me.

You should never have let him in??

Do not leave he won't be able to do anything.

Please please if you leave make sure you push for prosecution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ring threshold and the RTB, get both of those involved.

You’ve been given good advise and if you follow it and the ll kicks you out you’re likely to end up with a big payout.

But, you need to fight back. Step 1 is calling Threshold and the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Don't let anyone into your flat; it is legally yours so long as you have a valid tenancy. If the landlord or the new tenant try to enter your property illegally, call the Gardai. If the landlord tries to remove you or your belongings, call the Gardai. If he threatens you or assaults you, call the Gardai. Contact Threshold and the RTB for further advice on how to handle your landlord's illegal actions. Don't let him get away with this, fight back. Read this for some suggestions to follow. You can continue to look for a new place to live in the meantime (and probably should, given that this guy is a massive asshole), but you ought to see to it that he suffers the consequences for his illegal actions, if not for yourself then for the next tenant who he will no doubt treat the same way. And even if you do end up finding a new place to live, you can likely collect damages from your former landlord if you are willing to pursue the case with the RTB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

He cannot do this. The person the landlord is attempting to illegally let to has no right to enter your home and you should not entertain the idea. If they show up tell them you have a lease, have paid your rent and if they attempt to enter you will call the Gardai.

Record everything, emails, phonecalls, video with your phone if possible. Consider approaching the media, with all the news about the rental crisis you could have considerable leaverage by having a reporter with you asking awkward questions should the landlord show up.

Op I really feel so bad for you and honestly I have no problem helping out if needed.

Pm if your stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP, are you renting off the Kinahans or what? Get your paperwork in order and tell him to get bent if he thinks he can get a fifty quid back payment per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Outrageous behaviour from the LandLord.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He won't give you the deposit most likely if he is going the route he is.

Do not make contact or answer any calls.

If in any way you feel you are in danger again call the Gardai.

If he has shouted at you and threatened already then you need to go to your local Garda station and report this.

You now have a case against him big time for everything he has done so as suggested before keep all correspondence such as calls, times, knocks on door etc etc.

He has not served legal eviction so do not leave.

Why are you paying the extra €50 and I hope you are doing through the bank and not cash as he will deny.

If the OP goes to the guards to report that the LL shouted at her, the garda will probably die of laughter.

OP, ignore the tenancy-rights warriors here. Spend your time and energy looking for somewhere that's good-enough to move to for now. Possibly even look on AirBnB and see if you can find a place on there for three months, to give you breathing space. Get out of this place ASAP, and stop paying as soon as you do.

By all means keep the records and paperwork to make life miserable for the LL later on, once you're out of there.

But remember that no matter what Threshold and the RTB say about "he can't do that" - they won't be there at 7pm when you come home from work to find your stuff in bin-bags on the street. And even if the RTB make an award in your favour, they won't be actually prising the cash out of his hands: the chances of you seeing any are slim no matter what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

If the OP goes to the guards to report that the LL shouted at her, the garda will probably die of laughter.

OP, ignore the tenancy-rights warriors here. Spend your time and energy looking for somewhere that's good-enough to move to for now. Possibly even look on AirBnB and see if you can find a place on there for three months, to give you breathing space. Get out of this place ASAP, and stop paying as soon as you do.

By all means keep the records and paperwork to make life miserable for the LL later on, once you're out of there.

But remember that no matter what Threshold and the RTB say about "he can't do that" - they won't be there at 7pm when you come home from work to find your stuff in bin-bags on the street. And even if the RTB make an award in your favour, they won't be actually prising the cash out of his hands: the chances of you seeing any are slim no matter what they say.

I thought landlords get fed to the wolves and dragged over hot coals and frog marched to the ATM if they even as much look side ways at a tenant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That may be the case but action taken now could dissuade the ll from kicking the op out.

For the sake of a few phone calls it would be remiss of the OP not to at least try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Does nobody else get a strong hint of troll from this thread...?

Have people not read the thread? It’s already been discussed in depth and clearly pointed out that the Guards have no authority in cases of tenancy law yet a number of posters are telling the op to call the guards. It’s bad and pointless advise.

At the end of the day the LL is completely in the wrong and the op should fight him for the illegal eviction but he would be better off doing so after he moves out and has a place to live. People can say “the LL can’t throw you out”’all they like but what are you going to do if he arrives home to locks changed and all his stuff on the street or if the LL arrives with a few heavies and removes the op?

Have people not read the thread? It’s already been discussed in depth and clearly pointed out that the Guards have no authority in cases of tenancy law yet a number of posters are telling the op to call the guards. It’s bad and pointless advise.

At the end of the day the LL is completely in the wrong and the op should fight him for the illegal eviction but he would be better off doing so after he moves out and has a place to live. People can say “the LL can’t throw you out”’all they like but what are you going to do if he arrives home to locks changed and all his stuff on the street or if the LL arrives with a few heavies and removes the op?

If the op has been threatened then of course the Gardai can get involved the same way if he turns her out or touches her etc.

LL can't be let away with what he is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please do not leave and do not allow him to speak to you like that.

He can not do what he is doing and if anything happens like ilegal eviction etc he will be liable for all costs and compensation.

Call the Gardai if he comes anywhere near you or contacts you threatening you.

OP please do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Gardai can and will act when anyone is being intimidated and threatened. he will be forbidden from coming near the tenant if such a complaint is made. I know this as someone here who acted that way to me is forbidden by the Gardai from coming near me.

This behaviour has no place thankfully in tenancy law and needs action.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    The Gardai can and will act when anyone is being intimidated and threatened. he will be forbidden from coming near the tenant if such a complaint is made. I know this as someone here who acted that way to me is forbidden by the Gardai from coming near me.

This behaviour has no place thankfully in tenancy law and needs action.

You can’t forbid someone from approaching property which they own and that’s esentially what would be done. The guards will have no interest and will not get involved if the op rings so he/she would be better off putting their effort into finding a new place.

Advertisement