Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase and additional costs added

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

You can’t forbid someone from approaching property which they own and that’s esentially what would be done. The guards will have no interest and will not get involved if the op rings so he/she would be better off putting their effort into finding a new place.

Maybe it's a good advise to try to move far away to that landlord, but the RTB should be properly notified, and a HUGE fine is 100% deserved.

this is one of the most dodgy things I've seen between landlords and tenants so far

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can’t forbid someone from approaching property which they own and that’s esentially what would be done. The guards will have no interest and will not get involved if the op rings so he/she would be better off putting their effort into finding a new place.

You are fully backed to have a quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home to not be harrased in the way the op has.

LL has no right to enter unless in an emergency such as burst pipe, fire etc.

The op I believe is really being taken for a mug and no insult intended.

I would also want to leave as what has happened is not on.

Hopefully she will push for the RTB and gets compensation.

Shocking someone could be treated so badly especially paying over the odds and even giving into the extra payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

If the OP goes to the guards to report that the LL shouted at her, the garda will probably die of laughter.

OP, ignore the tenancy-rights warriors here. Spend your time and energy looking for somewhere that's good-enough to move to for now. Possibly even look on AirBnB and see if you can find a place on there for three months, to give you breathing space. Get out of this place ASAP, and stop paying as soon as you do.

By all means keep the records and paperwork to make life miserable for the LL later on, once you're out of there.

But remember that no matter what Threshold and the RTB say about "he can't do that" - they won't be there at 7pm when you come home from work to find your stuff in bin-bags on the street. And even if the RTB make an award in your favour, they won't be actually prising the cash out of his hands: the chances of you seeing any are slim no matter what they say.

What I find amusing about this kind of comment is it comes from the same type of pro landlord poster who say non rent paying anti social tenants can never be removed

I’d talk to the gardai about it. Or tell people at work and many will know some cop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OP it sounds like you need to go get somebody in the legal industry to look after your interests as you can't seem to look after yourself with respect to this, you are being a pushover, frankly, not to hut you but you need to stand up for yourself or have a legal professional or the gardaí do so.

The landlord does not have a leg to stand on here, keep talking to the RTB and push your complaint. Do not let anybody in your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Does nobody else get a strong hint of troll from this thread...?

My friend is living in Dublin. The landlord rang asking to come over a chat. He is increasing their rent by 52% starting on the next rent day. I told my friend what he is doing is illegal by increasing it by that amount, not giving a 90 days notice and it given verbal. My friend and the other housemate are afraid that they get kicked out as they have no lease and there is a housing crisis going on. So they are going to pay it to keep a roof over the heads.

• Advertisement

hopgirl wrote: »
    My friend is living in Dublin. The landlord rang asking to come over a chat. He is increasing their rent by 52% starting on the next rent day. I told my friend what he is doing is illegal by increasing it by that amount, not giving a 90 days notice and it given verbal. My friend and the other housemate are afraid that they get kicked out as they have no lease and there is a housing crisis going on. So they are going to pay it to keep a roof over the heads.

They don't need a lease though.

How long are they there?

As it's a rent pressure zone he may only increase by 4% and a little more outside certain circumstances.

If they are 6 months or more they are on part 4 tenancy.

Make sure they know all this and I would suggest they check to see property is rtb registered.

Are they paying cash or transfer?

He can't just turf them out and he has to do it the right way.

They can always bring a case against him even if they decide to stay and do so in the future bring it up with the rtb.

Very foolish carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

Something doesn't ring true with this OP, half of the issues weren't stated in the opening post and were gradually added on throughout the thread.                                                                                                                                                                   
    The way the posts are written doesn't seem to be inline with somebody who was earning enough to pay €1800 rent on their own, something just doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

DubJJ wrote: »
    Something doesn't ring true with this OP, half of the issues weren't stated in the opening post and were gradually added on throughout the thread.                                                                                                                                                                   
    The way the posts are written doesn't seem to be inline with somebody who was earning enough to pay €1800 rent on their own, something just doesn't seem right.

Totally agree - something here doesn’t add up for me either. Thought this ages ago when reading through the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Sorry to hear this OP.

I strongly advise you record every piece of evidence and open a case with the RTB NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

What does that mean? You don't need to earn that much to pay 1800 rent. You'll be left with **** all at the end of the month, but you can still manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

who owns what is irrelevant when criminal behaviour is being reported . Intimidation is a crime.

_brendand_ wrote: »
    What does that mean? You don't need to earn that much to pay 1800 rent. You'll be left with **** all at the end of the month, but you can still manage it.
    To be able to pay €1800 a month rent consistently for 2 years you need to be taking home at least 3k a month to allow for bills, food, transport and just general living costs, the OP has even stated that they have savings in a 'long term account'.

If I were paying that I would be living on less then 40 a week and that would be bills, food etc etc.

To be able to pay €1800 a month rent consistently for 2 years you need to be taking home at least 3k a month to allow for bills, food, transport and just general living costs, the OP has even stated that they have savings in a 'long term account'.

Perhaps the OP has lower living costs than you?

On my first mortgage I was paying out 1700 per month and earning less than 2500.

You couldn't do that with the cost of living today.

You couldn't do that with the cost of living today.

You have absolutely no idea of the OPs living costs. Or what she earns. Or how someones earnings influences how they write.

Yet you have decided that the way the posts are written are not inline with someone who earns 3k+ per month???? Makes no sense.

As I said, something doesn't ring true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

hopgirl wrote: »

If this is true, which i very highly doubt it is, They don't deserve their accommodation if they're daft enough to put up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

hey folks to say thanks to all. So I tried to stand my ground re the additional costs but yeah LL has given me 2 weeks to leave. Have to be out my end of this month. Least he hasnt kicked me out straight away. I really couldnt afford the additional charges on top of the rent increase. He was very very angry when I even attempted to discuss it with him. Back to searching now
    Just refuse to leave, and as a protective measure, change the locks, and report him to the RTB. Immediately.
    What you have reported is illegal and there is no need for you to tolerate it.

Download a call recorder like this one onto your phone and record all your calls with the LL. Call him up with some excuse, and get him to repeat the threats he has made. Do not tell him you are recording unless he specifically asks, as you are completely within your rights to record a conversation with him. Then take the recording to the RTB.

Or takethe recording to a lawyer and send him a snotty letter, and insist that he pay your legal costs too.

If you have any proof of all of this, post the landlord's name here, and let others know what has happened.

Get in touch with Take back the City and see if they will do something practical in the way of supporting you.

Therre are lots of routes to go. Sitting still and doing nothing is the worst possible thing to do.
    Well, except for spreading fear by saying that you are too afraid of him to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do not change the locks, not unless you have the landlord’s permission. It may be your residence, but it’s their property.

OP - I’m finding it hard to have sympathy for you. You’ve gotten a lot of good advice here, and the law is on your side. Yet you don’t appear to be fighting your case and asserting your rights. Talk to the RTB and do it ASAP. If everything you’ve said here is true, it would appear you have a slam dunk case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The OP hasn’t posted in since the 15th Sept. any update OP?

Advertisement