Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbogget Parking

Options
  • 28-08-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Was up at Kilbogget last night for the first time since before the summer. It was a great sight with hundreds of kids and adults getting exercise. Cabo FC, Cabo AC, Seapoint RFC and the Foxcabs use this venue (and maybe others also). Most had training or matches underway last night.

Compared to the amount of activities that take place there, the parking is very poor. There are limited spaces in the Car Park with a weird layout.

Overflow Parking tends to take place on verges on Granville Road or on the footpaths on the main road which restrict sight lines for traffic. This compounds a road safety situation which is bad anyway due to difficult turns into and out of the Car Park and the turn out of Granville Road.

There are also a lot of kids crossing the gates which have bad visibility due to massive pillers.

Do people see merit in the Council adding more spaces and generally improving layouts here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Awaaf wrote: »
    Was up at Kilbogget last night for the first time since before the summer. It was a great sight with hundreds of kids and adults getting exercise. Cabo FC, Cabo AC, Seapoint RFC and the Foxcabs use this venue (and maybe others also). Most had training or matches underway last night.

Compared to the amount of activities that take place there, the parking is very poor. There are limited spaces in the Car Park with a weird layout.

Overflow Parking tends to take place on verges on Granville Road or on the footpaths on the main road which restrict sight lines for traffic. This compounds a road safety situation which is bad anyway due to difficult turns into and out of the Car Park and the turn out of Granville Road.

There are also a lot of kids crossing the gates which have bad visibility due to massive pillers.

Do people see merit in the Council adding more spaces and generally improving layouts here?
    No, it’s a local park people should walk, cycle , scoot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Yes that's probably the Council's position on parking capacity (although I think they should look at the safety etc. issues). My older kids cycle to many activities across many parish boundaries but not yet for my youngest.

It is however somewhat idealistic in the SCD scenario where not every locality can have each sport available. Mine only has Rugby/Hockey and Tennis AFAIK and we do no sport in the parish.

The reality is there are large well run clubs like Cuala/Crokes/Joeys/Cabo etc. which draw from a wide area and use pitches/facilities over a wide area. In fact it is not unheard of for families to have home fixtures as far apart as Ballycorus, Goatstown and Booterstown with different kids at different venues within tight time periods. WhatsApp and Lift sharing helps but dropoffs still arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If the Garda actually bothered doing some policing of illegal parking it would help. People know there are unlikely to be consequences from illegal parking so do it - causing danger to other road users and kids does not come anywhere near their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

ted1 wrote: »
    No, it’s a local park people should walk, cycle , scoot etc.

So when Foxcab are playing a home came against Na Fianna the whole Na Fianna squad can "scoot" from Glasnevin. I'd like to see a photo of that!!!

Of course people should walk to their local park, but sports clubs play matches against teams from way outside the locality. It makes sense to have adequate parking to ensure the people that live around the park don't have to put up with cars parked randomly around their houses.

A park in not only used by locals

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

over the summer they were opening up part of the park for parking, access via opposite Tesco. That not happening anymore?
    That aside, it's not like the 7 or 145 aren't very frequent routes that serve the park...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

over the summer they were opening up part of the park for parking, access via opposite Tesco. That not happening anymore?
    That aside, it's not like the 7 or 145 aren't very frequent routes that serve the park...

That was for the mini world cup. They knew they'd need the space for the amount of people attending

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Paulzx wrote: »
    So when Foxcab are playing a home came against Na Fianna the whole Na Fianna squad can "scoot" from Glasnevin. I'd like to see a photo of that!!!

Of course people should walk to their local park, but sports clubs play matches against teams from way outside the locality. It makes sense to have adequate parking to ensure the people that live around the park don't have to put up with cars parked randomly around their houses.

A park in not only used by locals

A team of 15 only need 4 cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

ted1 wrote: »
    A team of 15 only need 4 cars.

...............that's still different to "walk, cycle and scoot"

And it's not just a team of 15. The panel will be 20ish plus coaches, mentors, parents, supporters etc.

My point is that "walk, cycle scoot" doesn't negate the requirement to have adequate parking in order to ensure the environment around the park doesn't become impossible for local residents with haphazard parking by park users who have travelled from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Parking is adequate for most of time. Yes, there are pinch points in the evenings but realistically the trade off is going to be more parking for less playing pitch capacity. I'd rather the less parking option.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

per the OP it does seem a lot busier this year (in the last few weeks) than in previous years. It might just be a clash of times or something. I've been there the last few Wednesday evenings and it's been jammed. Great to see all the kids out training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The problem with free parking is that everybody pays for it, including those who do walk/cycle/scoot and don't use/need parking. The more parking you provide, the more cars will appear.

Advertisement