Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018 - Round 14 – Monza

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You can disguise them behind masks all you want, I know grid girls when I see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

skipper_G wrote: »
    Bottas got booed as well so it's not just a Hamilton thing which is good.

Sounds like he's actually getting a lot more than Lewis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Heineken trophies are a bit boring if they look the same at each track

• Registered Users Posts: 14,724 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Sounds like he's actually getting a lot more than Lewis!

Yeah I thought so too, maybe not now with the interviews Massa is doing

I don't think the crowd want to hear Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Did they skip Bottas to try and get him to a helicopter as soon as possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Heineken trophies are a bit boring if they look the same at each track

Just be thankful we didn’t get virtual stars on the track or in the start lights.

flazio wrote: »
    Just be thankful we didn’t get virtual stars on the track or in the start lights.

True

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nobody to blame only greedy "Blue flags Blue flags" Vettel for that disaster of a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mercedes using Bottas as a roadblock is getting a bit old - I hardly ever remember this happening even in the Schumacher era (just a Japanese GP where Irvine, for once not miles off the top, kept the whole group at a ridiculously slow pace while MSC darted away). Funny thing is that people still blabber about Ferrari having a clear "No.1 and No.2", while Mercedes doesn't...time to wake up, it's the other way around.

Vettel might have been unable to win it even without the scrap at the start - the soft tires simply didn't work well on the Ferrari, maybe due to lack of info (they barely ran on these during the week end). Big mistake, they knew they'd need them for the race.

Verstappen...every time I see him doing something that looks like he's finally copped on (e.g. going straight on Bottas's first lounge on the brakes, in a "preventive avoidance" maneuver), he soon follows up with some monumental piece of idiocy, proving he's still well and truly stupid as a doornail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

New Force India jumped Sauber and are now 8th in the constructors only 2pts off Toro Rosso after 2 races :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Renault have complained about Grosjeans car

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Sounds like a long running issue Renault have had with the Haas and it was their last Opportunity to protest. Will be interesting to see what it's about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

RoryMac wrote: »
    Cheers I owe you a pint, easy money!!

Did they let you keep the bet? A mate of mine had his price changed to 1/4 after he stuck 100 on it. He voided the bet. Shocking stuff from Powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Will the Itialian media tear Seb to shreds over the error today?

• Advertisement

looks like it's something to do with the geometry of the leading edge of their floor
    https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/status/1036294072993034241

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That was a masterclass in how to both make a bollox of it, and how to prove you are the best on the grid right now.

Vettel will rue this I think, started yesterday with Qualy and then Vettel binning it today. Hamilton was on fire this weekend, he makes it count on the Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Harika

Hamilton won, because he took the risk into Vettel and spun him, that could have gone either way. Then they trapped Kimi. Whatever he would have done at this time was very likely wrong.

Options:
    a. What he did, pitted before Hamilton, pushed hard, came out in front but then Bottas defended brilliantly and the pushing ruined Kimis tyre. Smart trap by Mercedes.
    b. Stay out as long as possible after Hamilton pitted, with the risk of overtaking him on track, what was not possible with Bottas with a much bigger tyre difference.
    c. Pit the next lap, with the risk of being undertaken and with only one lap better tyres.

If Vettel would have been in the mix, this would not have been possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

Harika wrote: »
    Hamilton won, because he took the risk into Vettel and spun him

Really?? I've seen near universal agreement online that this was Vettel's error today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Much as I'd love to pin it on Hamilton, Vettel hit the curb and slid into Hamilton. All Vettel's fault.

Verstappen is still claiming he did nothing wrong, and that he left space. Idiot.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Really?? I've seen near universal agreement online that this was Vettel's error today.

Let me formulate it more neutral: Hamilton and Vettel took the gamble with Vettel losing out. Could easily have ended in a Hamilton spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Much as I'd love to pin it on Hamilton, Vettel hit the curb and slid into Hamilton. All Vettel's fault.

Verstappen is still claiming he did nothing wrong, and that he left space. Idiot.

Nico Rosberg blamed seb
    Horner said it was 50 50.

Am kind of inclined to go with Horner on this.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This, Vettel defended hard and had all the space in the world. Hamilton couldn't have taken a wider line into the chicane if he tried...

Someone mentioned Singapore last year, today wasn't the first time Vettel just couldn't give up the ghost and think about the next hour and a half of racing. He has zero patience and this could be the reason why we're saying Hamilton will be a five time champion and Seb isn't.

Now, I'm not saying Seb won't win it out. He has the fastest car and anything can happen from now to the end of the season.

However, if he doesn't then it'll be moments like today that'll cost him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nico Rosberg blamed seb
    Horner said it was 50 50.

Am kind of inclined to go with Horner on this.

How though? In what way can Hamilton share any sort of blame?

Btw, not punishing Vettel was 100% the right call. These things just happen but Vettel could have avoided it.

Looks like Grosjean will be disqualified for an illegal floor

Edit: added link https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-verdict-grosjean-disqualified-technical-infringement/3170140/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Joeface

Great start to the race. Interesting events more that anything . I thought for a moment we were going to be in for race of the century . Even more so when Lewis past kimi at the restart and then Kimi taking him straight back.

I feel we were kinda cheated in the end. The fact that Bottas had such an influence on the out come when he could not deal with Max who was in a much slower car for most of the race has annoyed me the most. I don't mind Lewis winning he was driving the wheels off the car . Tyres are the other problem if the red tyre is suppose to wear... Why is it lasting or out lasting the yellow.

Good runs from RPFI again this weekend. They will be challenging Renault and Haas in a few races for constructors points what a turn around.

Good show from Williams again today. Stroll did well to hold his points finish .

Sirotkin will get his first F1 point with Grosjean's dq

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

580c8af559b83157f0fece78.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

New Force India jump above Toro Rosso now aswell I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Kimi's tyres. He would be put off the road for those.
    Nearly bald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bottas is not better than Kimi, that's beyond comprehension.
    Kimi is used as a battering ram these days, left out way too long to hold up lewis at the expense of his own race as ferrari know they will usually get top 4 anyway. It's therefore unfair to compare performance. Instead look at the numbers of podiums from Kimi, he's a consistent #2 these days which is what ferrari want. If Kimi wants to keep racing you can bet your bottom dollar he's in that ferrari seat next year too.

Let the stats do the talking:
    2017 Qualifying overall comaprison - Hamilton 0.290% faster than Bottas, Vettel 0.326% faster than Raikkonen
    Bottas is closer to Hamilton than Raikkonen is to Vettel. I would strongly argue that Hamilton is faster than Vettel if in same car ergo Bottas would be closer to Vettel than Raikkonen is.

2017 Drivers Championship - Bottas, 3 wins, 13 podiums; - Raikkonen, 0 wins, 7 podiums

2018 Drivers Championship - Bottas, 5 second places; Raikkonen, 3 second places
    *This is despite the Ferrari being considered the best car this season and playing rear gunner for Hamilton.

Source https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/hamilton-vs-alonso-vs-vettel-f1-statistics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

No way did Hamilton spin Vettel, he spun himself. It was a sublime move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Gintonious wrote: »
    No way did Hamilton spin Vettel, he spun himself. It was a sublime move.

Can't wait to see what Max V learns from this going forward. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what Max V learns from this going forward. :D

Likely nothing. I'd say he felt the wrath for letting vettel get the place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Once Max knew Vettel was within the 5 seconds he could have slowed Bottas down and give Vettel a chance to pass him.
    Cruel but Max would not loose a place but anyway and he was annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

megapixel wrote: »
    Kimi's tyres. He would be put off the road for those.
    Nearly bald

Theres probably a couple of laps max left in those before delamination.AT most.

Let the stats do the talking:
    2017 Qualifying overall comaprison - Hamilton 0.290% faster than Bottas, Vettel 0.326% faster than Raikkonen
    Bottas is closer to Hamilton than Raikkonen is to Vettel. I would strongly argue that Hamilton is faster than Vettel if in same car ergo Bottas would be closer to Vettel than Raikkonen is.

2017 Drivers Championship - Bottas, 3 wins, 13 podiums; - Raikkonen, 0 wins, 7 podiums

2018 Drivers Championship - Bottas, 5 second places; Raikkonen, 3 second places
    *This is despite the Ferrari being considered the best car this season and playing rear gunner for Hamilton.

Source https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/hamilton-vs-alonso-vs-vettel-f1-statistics

You can take all the stats you want but if they use Raikkonen out front to delay hamilton, vettel wins and kimi comes 4th of 4. That's a success in the ferrari book but not reflected in your stats.

Hence why I said the stats will not show what a good job for ferrari in his assigned role that kimi is doing.

He's like an enforcer in hockey.

Harika wrote: »

Predictions:
    Ferrari win - FML
    Less than three overtakes between the top teams - At least three
    Sauber in the points - Nope
    Snorefest - Good and Bad

0/4 streak for me, just get happy with Will Buxton

Advertisement