Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holding myself to account

• 28-08-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hello there!
    This won't be a particularly interesting log to be honest. I'm just posting stuff here to help hold myself accountable for what I'm doing. I tended to yoyo too much between programs and starting to make it a bit more rigid.
    Bit of the standard just faffed around in the gym achieving nothing for a while. Then started to discipline myself a few months ago and ran Greyskull LP followed by 5/3/1 for a few months.
    The stats:
    27 / Male / 6 foot 1 or 2 / 106.6kgs @ 26.4% body fat (correct as of 12/08/18).
    Goals:
    Improve aerobic capacity (at least be able to run a 5k under 25 minutes eventually).
    1xBW Bench, 1.5x BW Squat, 2x BW Deadlift, be able to do a few pullups in a row..
    Inevitably losing some body fat will help achieve both of these goals.
    Fix posture (Anterior Pelvic Tilt, Rounded Shoulders).
    Latest lifts
    Bench - 85kgs x 4
    Squat - 122.5kgs x 4
    Deadlift - 150kgs x 5 (somewhat Romanian style)

Current Program
    I have just started the 'base building' protocol from the Tactical Barbell II Conditioning book. I don't necessarily want to Copy/Paste info from this book however I highly recommend reading it if you can find a version...
    This will be an 8 week cycle (5 weeks Strength Endurance (SE) focused, 3 weeks Max Strength focused).
    As I can't run the length of myself I'm doing this version to help bring my aerobic capacity up to snuff.
    Happy to answer any questions etc. Look forward to hearing any similar experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Week 1 Day 1
    Run - 30 minutes (HR between 120-150BPM)
    This was awful as expected. Only way I can currently measure HR is via my phone (using Samsung Health app). Just purchased a 'wahoo tickr' from amazon to assist with this.
    I just 'ran' for a bit until I believed my heart rate was too high, stopped (time stopped) and measured. I walked again until it was in the 120s and repeated.
    Managed 4.16km in 36 minutes (8'46" per km). I've never ran outside of sports in my life so this was a real eye opener.
    The only way is up!

Week 1 Day 2

Strength Endurance - 3 sets x 20 reps

Circuit consisted of
    Dips
    Pullups/inverted rows (used Pullups to count as 2 reps each time..)
    20kg kb goblet squats
    2x20kg kb Romanian deadlift
    pushups
    kb swings 

Set 1: 10:30
    Set 2: forgot to time..
    Set 3:12:03

Heart rate was mad during this. absolutely the limiting factor (bar the dips and pullups) 

It specifically says not to superset anything... very difficult for me to do!!

Finished with a few hip flexor stretches and maybe a wee bath tonight!

Week 1 Day 3
    Run - 30 minutes (HR between 120-150BPM)
    Ran 2.39 miles in 32.41mins (13.40 split) and 222ft climb. 144bpm average
    Really struggling with keeping the HR down, feels like im almost jogging slower than I would walk..!

Wahoo tickr arrived.

Week 1 Day 4

SE 2x20 same circuit as earlier in week. Felt solid enough. Find chins / inverted rows and dip strength disappears v quickly so maybe should rest more between efforts

Week 1 day 5

Endurance

Big ass hill next to my house. walked/ ran up it (120-150 bpm) and then across and back around.

Did 3.5 miles in 55 mins keeping at the bpm. Found myself breathing a bit easier already... signs of things to come? who knows!

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 1
    Strength Endurance - 3 sets x 30 reps

Circuit consisted of
    Dips
    Pullups/inverted rows (used Pullups to count as 2 reps each time..)
    20kg kb goblet squats
    2x20kg kb Romanian deadlift
    pushups
    kb swings 
    Started to get a sharp pain in shoulder on 2nd round of dips. Substituted in a small clean with press instead.
    141bpm average 167 max took about 50 mins in total to complete ~estimated 771 calories but not sure how accurate that is
    On another note, got a bit of pain in the top outside part of my glute, anyone have an idea what this is?

Week 2 Day 2
    Endurance - 40 mins running (120-150 bpm)
    Average 137 bpm, max 157bpm. Not sure on distance covered as mainly just focussing on keeping the HR in zones.

Never ran that long before though!!

Advertisement