Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4k HTPC that can transcode

• 28-08-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Getting a few 4k TV's soon and will need to upgrade my HTPC setup to meet the requirements. Obviously I don't want to be throwing money into this but it will be mostly a new setup using the 8TB of storage I already have.

I'm struggling to get a definite answer on if I really need a GPU for transcoding (especially to an older 1080p tv) it seems that some people online say it is essential while others are saying Plex barely uses the hardware acceleration. Are the new i3/i5 Intel CPUs that support HEVC capable of transcoding by themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

circadian wrote: »
    Hi all,

Getting a few 4k TV's soon and will need to upgrade my HTPC setup to meet the requirements. Obviously I don't want to be throwing money into this but it will be mostly a new setup using the 8TB of storage I already have.

I'm struggling to get a definite answer on if I really need a GPU for transcoding (especially to an older 1080p tv) it seems that some people online say it is essential while others are saying Plex barely uses the hardware acceleration. Are the new i3/i5 Intel CPUs that support HEVC capable of transcoding by themselves?

You don't really want to be transcoding 4k, it'll bring any decent system to it's knees and your server will only be able for a single stream at once. Direct stream is what you should be aiming for, this uses next to no CPU and leaves your server capable of multiple streams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you want to handle HDR playback from your storage as well as 4k resolution then you should look to a 4gig Nvidia, I tried others but they just did not cut it with large files with large bit rates.
    A proper card will also allow you into Atmos sound which is a game changer

Advertisement