Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting with Children

Options
  • 28-08-2018 1:42pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So some here already do it, some don't. I am in the position of 50:50 with creche, where the duties are split between my partner and me. Used a Siesta bike seat for three years without issue and he loves it but alas, he is getting ever closer to the tipping point of it not being appropriate due to his height/weight.

Trying to figure out the most sensible option with in a budget as well, as our creche have stopped after school, so from now on I will have to cycle 15km to the school at half two, pick him up, drop him to afterschool and cycle back to work. It won't be every day but probably three days a week.

I am thinking of a trailgator and attach to his bike. This means he can dig on on the uphill part. He is using stabilisers though, would this freak him out a bit or will my bike hold him up straight regardless?

A rear rack with a leather cushion and a small backing. Kind of similar principle to a bike seat but he is getting bigger and part of its uphill, although I could walk that bit. It is only 2km.

I am hoping in a year or two he can cycle himself with me beside.

A cargo bike is out of budget regrettably. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Would him using a scooter be an option? It would require footpath all the way, of course. Most kids I see on scooters are going at a speed that requires the parent to be on a bike to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On the last liffey cycle there was a kid on a rear attached yoke that was somewhat recumbent and allowed him to pedal to help dad. Was very neat and probably didnt create a huge drag. Might be a little wet in winter. Unfortunately I don't know the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

An Audi Q7 3.0d ? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

doozerie wrote: »
    Would him using a scooter be an option? It would require footpath all the way, of course. Most kids I see on scooters are going at a speed that requires the parent to be on a bike to keep up.
    Up and down hill with quite a bump. Scooters are also (in my opinon) far mroe unsafe than bikes. Paths around also are not that smooth with those grooves every few metres that threaten to trip most walkers up.
    ED E wrote: »
    On the last liffey cycle there was a kid on a rear attached yoke that was somewhat recumbent and allowed him to pedal to help dad. Was very neat and probably didnt create a huge drag. Might be a little wet in winter. Unfortunately I don't know the name.
    Similar to the trailgator I suspect, just the rear wheel and attached to the seat post?
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    An Audi Q7 3.0d ? :)
    I'll never drive an audi. Went to an Audi sales place once. I didn't use my phone while driving and when i stopped on a red the seller look confused, patted my hand and said, maybe Audis aren't for you, you don't come across as a complete w@***r :pac:

Was it one of these?

https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/25732/do-trailer-bikes-help-kids-learn-to-ride-a-bike-on-their-own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

There's someone I meet on my commute who has an older seat for her daughter. Rather than being the full shell, it's more like an ordinary chair and fits a larger child.
    Something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I have a cargo frameset here that is free to a good home... Frame, handlebars, saddle etc.. included
    Needs wheels/drivetrain. It is sitting outside unused so if anyone wants it, based in north Kildare

http://cangoo.nl/shop/cangoo-downtown/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

mloc123 wrote: »
    I have a cargo frameset here that is free to a good home... Frame, handlebars, saddle etc.. included
    Needs wheels/drivetrain. It is sitting outside unused so if anyone wants it, based in north Kildare

http://cangoo.nl/shop/cangoo-downtown/

I 100% will take that if your sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

CramCycle wrote: »
    I 100% will take that if your sure.

Yup, all yours.

It has sat outside for the last 6 weeks since I robbed parts for a Bullit. it is a waste to leave like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

how much are you looking for the cargo frameset, if cramcycle changes his mind i would be interested.

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    There's someone I meet on my commute who has an older seat for her daughter. Rather than being the full shell, it's more like an ordinary chair and fits a larger child.
    Something like this

theres a few seats that go up to 35KG.

heres another one https://www.checkfrank.ie/bobike-junior-including-mount/

trailer may be an option also, thats what i use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am thinking of a trailgator and attach to his bike. This means he can dig on on the uphill part. He is using stabilisers though, would this freak him out a bit or will my bike hold him up straight regardless?

I see you're sorted for (most of) a cargo bike, but to pitch in my 2c on a trailgator.

It'll keep him upright (caveat: see next paragraph), though given he's coupled to your bike he'll tilt accordingly if you're banking going round a corner, though you're unlikely to be in pedal strike territory I'd guess. The front wheel will also be off the ground - how much will depend on how high your seatpost is. Stabilisers might be a concern here in cornering depending on how close to the ground they are. The handlebars are also held attached by a strut to the Trailgator bar so won't move.

My only other gotcha with a Trailgator was once when the bit that stays attached to my seatpost wasn't tightened enough, it went out of line with the bike leading to protests from the second daughter who when I looked back was tilted rather alarmingly. Straightening and a bit more welly with the tightening sorted that. Otherwise Trailgators are great - I've been using one for years (just about to move on to its last customer)

red_ken wrote: »

Similar. Might have a screengrab somewhere.... Ahh I do!

2sbwyn6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

I use one of these to bring the kids to creche : https://www.followmetandem.co.uk/
    My 4 yr old daughters bike attaches on the back and my 1.5 yr old son sits in a hamax seat on the back, like this setup: https://www.followmetandem.co.uk/followme-tandems/folllowme_tandem.php#

Pros:
    >Very sturdy, brilliant for maneuvering around and you can actually go pretty fast (from what I have read the trailgator isn't that great in this respect)
    >Well made.
    >The kid on the attached bike contributes (well is suppose to!)

Cons:
    >Expensive - cost me over €200 including shipping. However, my son will be next in line to use it and we brought it on holidays and it was brilliant, and I can always sell it when we're done with it.
    >I remove the bike and child seat and leave them in the creche when dropping them off (You could actually leave them on and go about your business with the kids on it, but it would look a bit mental). Anyway, the process of removing the bike and reattaching it can be a rigmarole, but it's not that bad either.
    >Makes the whole bike heavy when the bike and seat are removed. Not really an issue for me.
    >Safety - the big concern with all these kind of setups in dublin is safety. I go a different, longer route, to the creche when it's attached, just to avoid certain roads. I only have a 10 min commute to the creche, and i go through a park for some of it, so it's not that bad.

All in all i love it! It would be better if we had better cycling infrastructure to use it on.
    I'm in dublin 8 if you wanna have a go of it.

ciarsciars wrote: »
    I use one of these to bring the kids to creche : https://www.followmetandem.co.uk/

do they ever throw a strop and get off it? thats my nightmare with my kids, that they would just refuse to get on.
    at least with the trailer i can lock them in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ciarsciars

site_owner wrote: »
    do they ever throw a strop and get off it? thats my nightmare with my kids, that they would just refuse to get on.
    at least with the trailer i can lock them in :eek:

The little fella is strapped into his seat and although she's prone to throwing strops, she's never hopped off the bike up to this point. I think it actually has the effect of avoiding strops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Being using this for about 5 years.

https://burley.com/product/kazoo/

Started when she was 4 and still used for the commute to school now. Kid loves it.

Very easy to maneuver and not very heavy. When I bought I tried out a couple of other tag alongside but for various reasons discounted them. Can't remember the reasoning now exactly except that this one was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Similar. Might have a screengrab somewhere.... Ahh I do!

2sbwyn6.jpg

That’s me. Great piece of kit, weehoo igo venture. It also comes with an optional rain cover and sun shade.

I’ve just recently brought him mountain biking with it in ballinastoe. We did some of the lower trails. A lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

surball wrote: »
    I’ve just recently brought him mountain biking with it in ballinastoe. We did some of the lower trails. A lot of fun.

I want you as my dad!

surball wrote: »
    That’s me. Great piece of kit, weehoo igo venture. It also comes with an optional rain cover and sun shade.

Basically a throne you can MTB on, what more could you want (except for him to pedal forwards not backwards :D ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement