Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal of Warning received in Soccer forum

Options
  • 28-08-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭

I received a yellow card warning for the below post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107915240&postcount=5009

from the following exchange:
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Camelot in smithereens!!

Serious questions to be asked now surely?
    nullzero wrote: »
    Liverpool have gone through shocking spells over the years as well. Grow up.
    Were you grown up through the worst of them, my little buttercup? This was well debated towards the end of last year - it looks like the theee year cycle IS a thing

The warning I received did not cite any particular charter violation - it appears the moderator has wrongly assigned a usage to the word "buttercup" and is therefore contending that I was trolling / being abusive.

PM exchange as follows:
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Dear LuckyLloyd,

You have been warned for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

Thanx 4 The Fish

Moderator Note

Why would you refer to someone as buttercup in a thread you already know is on a knife edge.

Your post:
    nullzero wrote: »
    Liverpool have gone through shocking spells over the years as well. Grow up.

Were you grown up through the worst of them, my little buttercup? This was well debated towards the end of last year - it looks like the theee year cycle IS a thing

Hello,

"My little buttercup" is a line from a humorous Steve Martin / Chevy Chase song from The Three Amigos. I had received a reply in a sarky and challenging tone, and - if anything - I was using that line to deescalate the exchange.

I'm not sure what rule have I broken here? It's not abuse, it's not trolling, it's not a term directly prohibited by the charter.

Please rescind the warning.

Thanks,

Lloyd.

This is very much akin to snowflake as a term that is challenging an individual and was already run past other mods in the forum prior to the card being issued. Urban Dictionary describes buttercup as follows

"A boy who thinks he's the biggest gangster in the world but in reality is a cute little softie who likes teddy bears and rainbows."

If you had a problem with the post then report it.

I'm sorry, but you're holding me to a definition of the word I was not aware of and a use that was not intended. That isn't fair. Again, can you clarify what rule has been broken here specifically?
    You were trolling in the thread and the use of my little buttercup irrespective of the Three Amigos song is disrespectful and abusive in the same vein as snowflake.
    Happy for you to take this to DRP as it will not be overturned here.

Thanx

I most certainly was not trolling, and I completely disagree that what I wrote equates to "snowflake". I will be opening a DRP in due course.

I wouldn't necessarily care in a different forum, though I would still not agree with the warning, but the soccer forum system requires me to challenge any warning I feel is incorrect as they can count towards further sanction at a later date. Moreover, as an active contributor across the soccer forum, I don't agree with assigning negative intent to a word where it isn't intended. Relations between Utd and Liverpool fans are frayed at present, but punishing an exchange like this will hardly help or alleviate those matters.

As it is, I contribute in high volume to the soccer forum each year and have received a single yellow card (for a direct charter violation that was clearly explained) over the previous four plus years. I have no intention to directly troll or abuse other posters. The nature of a shared cross football forum means that my posts may be disliked or considered unwanted by fans across the divide, but that should not warrant sanction.

Please rescind the warning. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi LuckyLloyd.

Thanks for sharing all the detail straight up. That really helps. I’ll get a Sports CMod involved now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi LL, I'll take a look.
    Hello,

"My little buttercup" is a line from a humorous Steve Martin / Chevy Chase song from The Three Amigos. I had received a reply in a sarky and challenging tone, and - if anything - I was using that line to deescalate the exchange.

Are you seriously putting that forward as your defense?

That is nonsense.

You are around here long enough to know better.

I will await your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Steve wrote: »
    Hi LL, I'll take a look.

Are you seriously putting that forward as your defense?

That is nonsense.

You are around here long enough to know better.

I will await your reply.

Hi Steve,

I appreciate its an obscure reference, much like "Camelot in Smithereens". I use weird little things all the time but I think it's fair to say anyone racking up my volume of posts over the years is at least somewhat weird. :)

I'm seriously saying that I did not use "my little buttercup" as a slur like "snowflake". I have been around here quite some time and I've never used a direct slur like snowflake in all of the conversations I've been involved in. Over the course of 30k+ posts I have very rarely used direct insults, and mostly when I was younger. I'd like to think I have some credibility built up at this stage.

I was honestly surprised to receive a warning for the post, as I didn't think it would be contentious in the slightest. It's not a case of me trying to think up some tenuous defense on the fly, just me not intending to insult or troll the other poster and genuinely disagreeing with the warning on that basis.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi LL,

I'm sorry but having slept on it and re-read your post several times, I agree with the mod.

I cannot see how this:

can be construed as anything other than condescending towards the poster that you quoted.

This is in breach of boards.ie site rules.

Therefore, I am upholding the card.

You may appeal to admin if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No point. I strongly disagree with the decision but hey ho.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Marking as resolved

Advertisement