Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for camera to catch bin bag dumpers

Options
  • 28-08-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A friend is having problems with someone dumping bin bags outside their house. They want to find out who it is and were thinking of using an ip camera like this. They plan to put it in the front window facing towards the gate.

Would you recommend this or should they go for a different camera? I did a search on here and people are talking about Blink or Logitech. But the problem is they don't want the camera to look like a security camera, hence their idea of putting it in the window. The house is also facing onto a main road so there is a lot of traffic which would trigger any motion sensors, can the sensors be set to about 2 - 3 metres?

Thanks

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A wildlife camera that triggers on movement might work depending on layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ED E wrote: »
    A wildlife camera that triggers on movement might work depending on layout.

No good for numberplates

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could use Yi Cameras with a SD card behind a window looking over the bins if you have a suitable location.

Currently £22 on Amazon + another €10 or so for a SD card.

Only thing is you would have to go through the footage afterwards to find who did it.

BTW Why not have an obvious looking security camera? Might deter people from doing it in the first place or even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Thanks BK I'll pass on that recommendation to them.

As for why not have an obvious security camera? I have no idea, I suggested it to them for the same reasons you mentioned but they are adamant they want a "discreet" camera.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think some people have this idea that security cameras are something only rich people have and thus make you a more of a target, that you have something worth breaking in for. My parents use to have the same opinion and there was a certain amount of truth to it in the past when CCTV systems were so expensive. But with cameras have gotten so cheap and ubiquitous now, I'm of the opinion that it is better to have them out as a visible deterrent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement