Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook Etiquette

• 28-08-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Ok how do you feel about this.....

you see a woman/man that you fancy....say a waitress or bar maid whatever, you then check out their facebook workplace page to see if there's a link to their personal profile, just to see if they're single/married/divorced etc

... is that wrong?? am i creep for doing that? have you ever done it?

(do ladies check out blokes too??)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

frosty123 wrote: »

you see a woman/man that you fancy....say a waitress or bar maid whatever, you then check out their facebook workplace page to see if there's a link to their personal profile, just to see if they're single/married/divorced etc

I would say that if somebody makes that information that available then they want others to know. I'd also say that women are just as bad for cyber-snooping.
    Of course, I have many mad ideas. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can 100% guarantee that women are far more skilled at this kind of cyber stalking than lads. Also, there's nothing wrong with it. That's basically what social media is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Seriously though, when are schools starting back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Facebook etiquette ?

No such thing. It's the modern equivalent of the wild west, no rules, anything goes. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do people still use Bookface ?!?

Really ?

I gave up after dozens of dogs suddenly went missing/were rescued by local parishioners. Some of the idiots would see a dog on the road. And instead of asking at the nearest house, they would bring the dog home - big post of the local parish facebook page "i just rescued this dog..."
    NO ! NO you fcuking didn't! You took the dog from outside the owners house, and now the owner has to travel to your house, to claim back the dog you saved/took/dognapped. .......

No, fcuk that ..... Bookface and their outraged/insulted/offended users....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I wouldn't say its wrong to have a look.
    Women tend to be experts at finding out that kinda stuff on social media.
    I would say it's wrong to go and add them or follow them though.

A friend of mine recently got fast food delivery to her house. The delivery guy then added her on Facebook a few minutes later. Now that was creepy. Especially since he had her name, number and where she lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

A friend of mine recently got fast food delivery to her house. The delivery guy then added her on Facebook a few minutes later. Now that was creepy. Especially since he had her name, number and where she lived.
    Maybe your friend should have been more careful when ordering fast food. What did she expect to happen? Hopefully she learns a lesson from this.

Harharhar! I bet I got a couple of you momentarily riled up there! Just to be clear – I don't think a woman should have to be careful when ordering fast food and the delivery driver was indeed – TOTALLY out of order!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

The best etiquette is not to be on Facebook.its so yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm pretty sure he didn't 'add' anybody though.
    Maybe he sent a 'friend request'. Something that places control firmly in her court. The creep is not charged to sent such requests so it is more a machine gun than a sniper rifle. Your friend need not be either flattered nor freaked out.

Whatever she stuck up on her profile, she MEANT people to see. Again control in her court so no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You mean he sent her a friend request that she rejected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure he didn't 'add' anybody though.
    Maybe he sent a 'friend request'. Something that places control firmly in her court. The creep is not charged to sent such requests so it is more a machine gun than a sniper rifle. Your friend need not be either flattered nor freaked out.

Whatever she stuck up on her profile, she MEANT people to see. Again control in her court so no issue.

Yes, sent her a friend request. It was still not his palce to use customer information from his job to become facebook friends with a total stranger.

If you went into A&E for treatment would you like it if your doctor or nurse then sent you a friend request on social media using the personal information you provided confidentially. It's not their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Or you could try talking to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It really brings out the worst in some people.

The vanity and narcissism on display at times is breath taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Be sure to close your account on the way out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The vanity and narcissism on display at times is breath taking.

True. The amount of people I had down for OK! I was utterly wrong about how they saw themselves and the world. Dreadfully revealing of crazy egos that day-to-day conversations never seemed to cast light on. The false brochure of Facebook though ...

I have learned a huge amount from it and it has blown away a lot of naivety for me. For instance a lot of activities taken on by people are rarely enjoyed for their own sake, they are enjoyed more for their worth in how others may perceive the person involved. There is no intrinsic joy anymore. You see people sharing some pics relating to a cause, say third world injustices for example, but do nothing concrete to help. People always lived vicariously through sports teams to some extent but facebook exacerbates it to the point where you are left wondering 'Jesus buddy was it actually you who scored that try?'. They smile for nightclub selfies but don't smile naturally at any other stage of the night. We are in a new age. And it is not all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

greenspurs wrote: »
    I gave up after dozens of dogs suddenly went missing/were rescued by local parishioners. Some of the idiots would see a dog on the road. And instead of asking at the nearest house, they would bring the dog home - big post of the local parish facebook page "i just rescued this dog..."
    NO ! NO you fcuking didn't! You took the dog from outside the owners house, and now the owner has to travel to your house, to claim back the dog you saved/took/dognapped. .......
    A girl where I work is mad into dogs, and one day she saw a 'stray' and put it into her car. Then she drove home to do the Facebook thing that you mention...even though she lived in a different county, and nearly 30 miles from where she picked it up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Surely that's more a description of the internet than just Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Lux23 wrote: »
    Or you could try talking to them?

I can and I do, but I always stop short of asking them out. . cause I can't take rejection . . So checking them out on F B avoids that scenario for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do people still use Bookface ?!?

Really ?

No, fcuk that ..... Bookface and their outraged/insulted/offended users....

My mother in law regularly shares said posts except the dogs could be in Australia or normally America! I don't do Facebook myself it's a load of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

OP what you describe is one of the reasons I left it. It's all just a waste of time when one could be using one's internet time on something more worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Like what? Wankin?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Aresebook has "etiquette" . now . . .lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Why dont you bring her home and spank her bare arse until you shoot off.

Why dont you bring her home and spank her bare arse until you shoot off.

is yer ma busy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

is yer ma busy ?

Howya Jimmy Saville?

Howya Jimmy Saville?

what's yer da got to do with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First point: do they know you exist?
    A different trick might be to ask them how their weekend (if they work during the week) was and if they got up to anything or their week (if they work during the weekend).
    ... is that wrong??
    Checking them out isn't a problem. Acting on it via Facebook is probably a bit weird.

Advertisement