Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not registered RTB - Issues Now

Options
  • 28-08-2018 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

I was staying in rented accommodation for a year ending last May. The rental was all done through the book, contracts signed etc, or so I thought.

It turns out my tenancy was never registered with the RTB. I've read over the forums here and posters have said this should not make much of a difference to the tenant.

However I am now applying for a college grant, and to receive it I need to prove independent living and as I have no suitable bills in my name nor received social welfare. The only way I can prove this is by showing my tenancy was registered with the RTB, which it is not. The rental address is registered with the RTB, but my specific tenancy never was.

Does anyone know if there is any recourse in this situation? Can my previous landlord register it retrospectively? And if there's no solution maybe this might act as a head's up for anyone in a similar situation!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Landlords are required to register a tenancy, I don't think you would be entitled to any documents related to this from either the landlord or the RTB.

If you were the lead tenant, wouldn't you have a utility bill in your name? E.g. Electric/gas/refuse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I always thought once a tenancy is registered, the RTB sends something out in the post confirming the tenancy.

If you have a rental contract,would this not be enough to highlight it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cove.Throne

davo10 wrote: »
    Landlords are required to register a tenancy, I don't think you would be entitled to any documents related to this from either the landlord or the RTB.

If you were the lead tenant, wouldn't you have a utility bill in your name? E.g. Electric/gas/refuse

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm the landlord told me I was never registered as a tenant with the RTB once I requested the documents. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get these documents for the grant authority if I can't request them then however :confused:.

Yes, that's correct, but it was a house share. The utility bills were in the name of the existing tenant's. BTW we rented individual rooms from the landlord.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I always thought once a tenancy is registered, the RTB sends something out in the post confirming the tenancy.

If you have a rental contract,would this not be enough to highlight it?

I have both a rental contract and I have a letter from the landlord also stating I was a tenant during the period.

I never received anything in the post from the RTB, guess it's something I never expected to look for or thought would be a big issue until I found myself in this position.

I spoke to the grants department and they said rental contract wouldn't be enough, unless it went through an estate agent, which it didn't as I dealt direct with the landlord.

All seems a bit unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm the landlord told me I was never registered as a tenant with the RTB once I requested the documents. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get these documents for the grant authority if I can't request them then however :confused:.

Yes, that's correct, but it was a house share. The utility bills were in the name of the existing tenant's. BTW we rented individual rooms from the landlord.

Does that mean you moved in with someone already renting? If so, the existing tenancy was most likely the one registered and the LL just has to inform the RTB when this tenancy ends and a new one begins.

• Advertisement

I have both a rental contract and I have a letter from the landlord also stating I was a tenant during the period.

I never received anything in the post from the RTB, guess it's something I never expected to look for or thought would be a big issue until I found myself in this position.

I spoke to the grants department and they said rental contract wouldn't be enough, unless it went through an estate agent, which it didn't as I dealt direct with the landlord.

All seems a bit unfair.

It makes sense why you wouldn’t have a RTB reg number as it sounds like the existing tenants are more than likely marked down on that while your just house sharing with the rest of them. I find it odd that you can’t use a rental agreeement, you could also ask them if you show the bank statements which also highlight x money going out every month this might help as well

Fol20 wrote: »
    It makes sense why you wouldn’t have a RTB reg number as it sounds like the existing tenants are more than likely marked down on that while your just house sharing with the rest of them. I find it odd that you can’t use a rental agreeement, you could also ask them if you show the bank statements which also highlight x money going out every month this might help as well

Yes, I had thought though that all tenants would have to be registered? Even if it was a house share. I signed a contract directly with the landlord. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this?

Yes, me too! They've made it 100% clear that I cannot use a contract/e-mail correspondence or payments as proof. There doesn't appear to be any lee-way with them.

Yes, I had thought though that all tenants would have to be registered? Even if it was a house share. I signed a contract directly with the landlord. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this?

Yes, me too! They've made it 100% clear that I cannot use a contract/e-mail correspondence or payments as proof. There doesn't appear to be any lee-way with them.

I find that strange now as even when people apply for mortgages, a lease by private ll along with payments in their bank account would be sufficient. I can see why they might be sceptical of it but when other bodies accept it, i find it odd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

You must have something with your name and address on it? Mobile phone bill? ...Internet?...Bank statement?

I know retrospect is no use here but I had trouble with college grant for the same reason.. long story short I managed to get it for the second year onwards. Its always beneficial to make sure you transfer one of your bills at least into the new address for this reason.

Advertisement