Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Atlantic Way Sportif -Sept Cancelled

Options
  • 28-08-2018 4:02pm

Just saw on FB that the Sept event has been cancelled.
    I did a couple of stages in the Spring and really enjoyed it, but numbers were very low, even at the weekend, barely 50 or so.
    I wonder will it run again next year, or it that the end of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Gutted! Cashed in all my brownie points to do 2 stages. I was really looking forward to 2 days of brilliant scenery. Irish Times mentioned it in Saturday magazine, too little too late I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

They had an offer at the weekend for midweek stages, 2 places for the price of 1 - trying to boost numbers obviously.

I was going to sign up for a weekend stage, see what it was like and then more than likely do a block next year.

Hopefully it's not totally cancelled for next year.

marvin80 wrote: »
    They had an offer at the weekend for midweek stages, 2 places for the price of 1 - trying to boost numbers obviously.

I was going to sign up for a weekend stage, see what it was like and then more than likely do a block next year.

Hopefully it's not totally cancelled for next year.

They had been giving away a fair few free spaces, and offering past participants a reduced rate of €50 a stage.
    I think the length of the stages put people off.
    It was good value, considering you got a jersey, rain jacket, plenty of food, and support along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Disappointed. Did a stage in Spring. Thought it was very well organised, supported with medics, motorbikes and mechanics following and great value for money. The jacket and jersey alone were worth the money. On the stage I did which was a Saturday Galway to Clifden had about 25-30 riders if even that much. Was surprised at the numbers at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

setanta74 wrote: »
    Disappointed. Did a stage in Spring. Thought it was very well organised, supported with medics, motorbikes and mechanics following and great value for money. The jacket and jersey alone were worth the money. On the stage I did which was a Saturday Galway to Clifden had about 25-30 riders if even that much. Was surprised at the numbers at the time.
    I did two stages and had a blast. Probably 50-60 each day. Was hoping to do more next year. I wonder if the concept needs to be tweaked and maybe scaled back a bit. Not sure they needed two groups. The vast majority on it were in the slower of the two groups I think. So, maybe that shows the direction they need to pitch it in. And maybe split it into two halves, doing one in Spring, the other in September? Might reduce the costs a bit. But, I thought it was absolute top quality otherwise. It's a real shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Judging by how successful organised walking holidays are in the west, there was to be great potential for this. You would think they just need to be able to tap the right foreign markets

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I signed up for Stage 1 and 2. Is anyone planning on doing these stages in an unsupported, but coordinated way, if you already had arrangements made to travel? I'd be tempted to head down and do the route, but it's a long trip down from Dublin to cycle alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Balls...was going to signup for one of the donegal stages when i got back from hols. Guess im lucky i didnt?

Any idea if this is going ahead this year?

A facebook post from December seems to suggest it is but nothing verified since:

https://www.facebook.com/CycleSportif/

marvin80 wrote: »
    Any idea if this is going ahead this year?

A facebook post from December seems to suggest it is but nothing verified since:

https://www.facebook.com/CycleSportif/

I emailed the organisers in September, and they replied that it was "almost certain" that it wouldn't go ahead in 2019.

I saw the post on FB, and you're right it did seem hopeful,but you would think that booking would be open by now if it was going ahead

• Advertisement

I emailed the organisers in September, and they replied that it was "almost certain" that it wouldn't go ahead in 2019.

I saw the post on FB, and you're right it did seem hopeful,but you would think that booking would be open by now if it was going ahead

wildatlanticetape.ie/

looks like they are bringing a shortened route back, no prices yet.
    Kinsale to Galway

wildatlanticetape.ie/

looks like they are bringing a shortened route back, no prices yet.
    Kinsale to Galway

There's prices when you go to the Registration page and Select Tour option

http://wildatlanticetape.ie/registration/

The prices vary for each month - cheapest it seems is €895 for May or September for the South section or West section - a bit on the pricey side considering a similar block last year was €695.

I suppose last year they got funding from Tourism Ireland or whoever so it wasn't as expensive.

I might have pushed the boat out last year but this years prices are too much for me.

Advertisement