Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest kerry person that has ever lived.

• 28-08-2018 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

Who would yours be, mine would probably be Daneil O Connell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

kerryjack wrote: »
    Who would yours be, mine would probably be Daneil O Connell

Any relation to Daniel O'Connell?

Peig.

Tom Crean, Antarctic Explorer. Twice the man the rest of us are, and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Katona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Páidí

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ya a big fan of paidi as well

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Probably myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

DENIS BROSNAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Healy Ray brother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What about the legend micko as kerry as it gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Monsignor Hugh O Flaherty was a bit of a high achiever but I suppose he was really a Cork man.

I'll go with Butty Sugrue.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dan Paddy Andy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,649 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’m not from Kerry but I’d also go for Tom Crean!

What that man did in Antarctica was nothing short of miraculous.

I’m still waiting for the movie of his life starring Michael Fassbender to be announced.

I’m not from Kerry but I’d also go for Tom Crean!

What that man did in Antarctica was nothing short of miraculous.

I’m still waiting for the movie of his life starring Michael Fassbender to be announced.

I’m not a Kerryman either, but that man showed the very best of qualities and I’d find it hard to think another from his home county could better represent the quiet strength and resilience of the fine people from The Kingdom.

And that’s coming from a Jackeen.

JayZeus wrote: »
    I’m not a Kerryman either, but that man showed the very best of qualities and I’d find it hard to think another from his home county could better represent the quiet strength and resilience of the fine people from The Kingdom.

And that’s coming from a Jackeen.

Herrah, he only went for a long walk.

Butty Sugrue pulled a bus with one hand up Kilburn High Road while pushing a baby in a pram with the other hand.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

My mother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Although Seamus McGillicuddy Darby deserves a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I'll go with Butty Sugrue.

Haven't seen him in a while...he had a made-up accent, the last time i had the pleasure of his company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Jackie Healy Rae

Defunkd wrote: »
    Haven't seen him in a while...he had a made-up accent, the last time i had the pleasure of his company.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he's dead 40 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

John B Keane for his quick wit & wisdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he's dead 40 years.
    Butty Sugrue is still alive. We're talking of a different man with the same name, i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Carsanal

Stephen O'Shaughnessy

Defunkd wrote: »
    Butty Sugrue is still alive. We're talking of a different man with the same name, i guess.

Glad to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The Healy Ray brother

Throw off the yoke of your oppressor. Free yourself from the tyranny of their dynasty!

Can't say I fully get the whole Crean thing that has really pushed on in the last decade or 2. Obviously very admirable, very strong and well able to take orders. But just think on one hand Thomas Ashe sacrificed more personally, and Daniel O'Connell achieved more for the greater number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,649 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can't say I fully get the whole Crean thing that has really pushed on in the last decade or 2. Obviously very admirable, very strong and well able to take orders. But just think on one hand Thomas Ashe sacrificed more personally, and Daniel O'Connell achieved more for the greater number.

Crean’s 35 mile solo march on Antarctica (to save 2 colleagues lives) has been described as the single most selfless act of courage in the history of exploration by many.

Crean’s 35 mile solo march on Antarctica (to save 2 colleagues lives) has been described as the single most selfless act of courage in the history of exploration by many.

Herrah t'was easy for him, didn't he have brandy and chocolate and biscuits to keep him going.

Strange.

How on earth did they decide it was more courageous than Oates giving up his life to give his colleagues a chance in the Scott Expedition?

• Advertisement

Strange.

How on earth did they decide it was more courageous than Oates giving up his life to give his colleagues a chance in the Scott Expedition?

Oates was going to die, without a doubt, making his ‘self sacrifice’ easy. And even then, all he had to do was crawl outside of the tent and let the cold take him.

Crean had everything to live for, he was by no means a dead man, unlike Oates. His decision was an act of incredible bravery, whereas all Oates did was speed up a foregone conclusion.

Hard to see how you’d even contemplate Crean as a lesser man than a fella who chose to slip out (supposedly, let’s acknowledge that he could have been left behind but painted as a selfless martyr by those who left him to his fate) and lay down to die. Odd way to look at it.

Advertisement