Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest kerry person that has ever lived.

13»

Comments

john9876 wrote: »
    Could someone explain in very simple language what exactly Daniel O'Connell actually did?

Led the move for Catholic emancipation and became the first Catholic in modern history to be elected to Parliament, which later inspired others such as the Jewish people - before the century ended Britain had a Jewish PM. Rejected the violence of revolutions in the USA, France and here and led a campaign to repeal the Act of Union founded on peaceful mass resistance, which was a huge influence on people across the world from Frederick Douglass and Gandhi. The tributes range from Balzac saying he was the greatest figure of the 19th century to Gladstone saying the greatest leader ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Led the move for Catholic emancipation and became the first Catholic in modern history to be elected to Parliament, which later inspired others such as the Jewish people - before the century ended Britain had a Jewish PM. Rejected the violence of revolutions in the USA, France and here and led a campaign to repeal the Act of Union founded on peaceful mass resistance, which was a huge influence on people across the world from Frederick Douglass and Gandhi. The tributes range from Balzac saying he was the greatest figure of the 19th century to Gladstone saying the greatest leader ever.

As a Corkman, I think you'd be hard pressed to think of a greater Irishman, never mind Kerryman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

to paraphrase Niall Tobin, not only was he the greatest Irishman he was also the greatest Kerryman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

Jackie healy -Rae. Brought Kerry back the era of the local chieftain. Got a few roads widened. Set the foundations of well paid employment for 2 generations of his family (from the public purse).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

Radio5 wrote:
    Sr. Consilio Fitzgerald, founder of Cuan Mhuire, helping those with addiction.

While Still Consilio did fantastic work and helped many people she is actually a Cork woman. She was born and reared in Knockaclarig near Rockchapel, just across the border.

She is a walking Saint and many people would not be alive today only for her.

How about a twist.

Greatest Kerry person who is still alive.

I'm guessing Sister Consilio is gonna scoop this one, so not sure I'll blurt out Maurice Fitzgerald...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

O'Connell had a second string to his bow, well recognised in America, though, remarkably, almost unknown in Ireland. He was a champion of Abolition (of slavery.) The most visible silver lining of the Act of Union cloud was the fact that the support of O'Connell and his comrades in the British Parliament turned the tide in favour of the Abolitionists. His principled opposition to slavery cost him huge support, financial and otherwise, from the Irish in Ameriva.

That, in addition to taking a bunch of illiterate peasants off their knees and forging them into a nation, without the cost of a single drop of blood.
    Not just greatest Kerry person, but greatest Irish person of all time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CamelToe76

Dead: As much as I loved Paidi O'Se and everything hes done for Kerry football, I would have to say its a toss up between Daniel O'Connell / Tom Crean

Alive: Since I left out football in the dead part, f*ckit, Micheal O'Muircheartaigh

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Daniel O’Connell without a shadow of a doubt.

Tom Crean must be up there too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Lord Horatio Kitchener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Lord Horatio Kitchener

Wow I actually had no idea he had a Kerry connection - great piece of trivia!

Good thread, pity about the bickering but some great info came out of it at least.

I think Tom Crean's act of incredible bravery is worthy of the deepest admiration but O'Connell's achievements are more in line with what I think of as 'greatness'.

Many of us are obviously very passionate about our football but I don't think kicking a ball around a field holds a candle to either of the above no matter how well it was done. A different type (maybe a different scale would be a better way to put it) of greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Saint Brendan perhaps?

Advertisement