Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Swimming Pool

• 28-08-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm looking for a swimming pool open to the public for myself and my partner , would rather a pay as you go, also would rather not use UL as I work nearby

Where would be the best place to go ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Hey I'm looking for a swimming pool open to the public for myself and my partner , would rather a pay as you go, also would rather not use UL as I work nearby

Where would be the best place to go ?

Grove Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Grove island and UL are the only public swimming pools near the city. Then there is Askeaton pool out in the county. Think that's it then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s a joke Sporting Limerick has no public pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

bigpink wrote: »

Where's sporting limerick?

Where's sporting limerick?

It's meant to be all around us! It's sad to see the demise of public swimming area's in Limerick especially considering our rich history of swimming. Up until the early 20th Century we had these amazing turkish baths all over the city with some of the finest building you would ever see. All knocked unfortunately. Similarly, open water swimming area's such as Corbally Baths and Ennis Road pool despite being very well used by locals were all demolished. Aside from UL which really has fantastic sporting facilities, Sporting Limerick is all about a few elite male rugby players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

panda100 wrote: »
    It's meant to be all around us! It's sad to see the demise of public swimming area's in Limerick especially considering our rich history of swimming. Up until the early 20th Century we had these amazing turkish baths all over the city with some of the finest building you would ever see. All knocked unfortunately. Similarly, open water swimming area's such as Corbally Baths and Ennis Road pool despite being very well used by locals were all demolished. Aside from UL which really has fantastic sporting facilities, Sporting Limerick is all about a few elite male rugby players.

This BS again. Did you see the name emblazoned across the hurlers jerseys? Do you know who owns and runs the Markets Field? You really need to get over your hatred of Munster rugby.

This BS again. Did you see the name emblazoned across the hurlers jerseys? Do you know who owns and runs the Markets Field? You really need to get over your hatred of Munster rugby.

I don't hate Munster Rugby at all. I support them as I do the hurlers and footballers but the extent of their influence in Limerick for what they do does annoy me I will admit. Not into soccer so I haven't a clue who runs the Market fields? GAA is a national sport and played all over Ireland it's certainly not unique to Limerick. Aside from Thomond Park I don't see what genuinely identifies Limerick as a sporting city?

By the way I am talking about Sporting Limerick as a concept not JP Mc Manus sponsorship.

panda100 wrote: »
    I don't hate Munster Rugby at all. I support them as I do the hurlers and footballers but the extent of their influence in Limerick for what they do does annoy me I will admit. Not into soccer so I haven't a clue who runs the Market fields? GAA is a national sport and played all over Ireland it's certainly not unique to Limerick. Aside from Thomond Park I don't see what genuinely identifies Limerick as a sporting city?

By the way I am talking about Sporting Limerick as a concept not JP Mc Manus sponsorship.

Rugby in Limerick is about a lot more than the Munster team. There are 9 rugby clubs in and around the city, 6 of whom play in the All Ireland League. A name which points out that rugby, just like GAA, is a national sport played both North and South of the border and is not unique to Limerick either. You should educate yourself a bit before commenting on rugby.

And the reason you see and hear more about rugby is because they're a high profile professional sports team. There aren't many of them in Ireland so they're going to get a lot of coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Grove Island

is grove island clean?? changing rooms etc? athlete's foot and all that?

i presume the pool is heated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

bigpink wrote: »

hilarious - no public pool besides having one of only two 50 metre pools in the country that is open to the public for 15 hours a day monday to Friday and 10 hours a day at the weekends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Used to have Roxboro and Enda's in the city too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Mc Love wrote: »

It’s a pity there are no publicly owned pools anymore. Still a few in Cork and Dublin. Great memories of both Roxboro and Enda’s.

Enda's pool is still there, although after being closed for 6-7 years it would probably need a huge cash injection to reopen it. The fact that they closed the pool because issues with the sports hall was disgraceful.

A public pool run keep the cost to the public down
    How much is swim in UL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It would be great if there was a running track in the city too. LPYMA is the obvious location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There are 9 rugby clubs in and around the city, 6 of whom play in the All Ireland League. A name which points out that rugby, just like GAA, is a national sport played both North and South of the border and is not unique to Limerick either.

Most sports are organised on a 32 county basis. Soccer is the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Enda's pool is still there, although after being closed for 6-7 years it would probably need a huge cash injection to reopen it. The fact that they closed the pool because issues with the sports hall was disgraceful.
    Didn't they fill in the pool in Endas?

sioda wrote: »
    Didn't they fill in the pool in Endas?

They may have, but I can't see through the walls ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

7.50 pay as you go in UL and Grove Island, its a pity you're limited to those 2 as Grove Island is the opposite side of the city to me and I work in UL so not really a fan of running into the same people I see every day on my off time

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Mc Love wrote: »

And the open air one on the Ennis Road.

• Advertisement

7.50 is very expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And the open air one on the Ennis Road.

I never visited that in my childhood

It isn't when you start looking at the membership prices of some of the same places, extortionate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What about bawnmore?... it’s still open and used regularly by schools and I know they did aqua aerobics there not long ago. It’s years since I was there so I can’t quite remember what size it was.
    Marty.

I think bawnmore is only lessons and things like that no public swimming , I'm just going to use UL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

UL are currently upgrading the 50 metre pool. It should be finished in a few weeks but only the small pool is open at the moment, and at that it's closed at certain times for classes and club use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

7.50 pay as you go in UL and Grove Island, its a pity you're limited to those 2 as Grove Island is the opposite side of the city to me and I work in UL so not really a fan of running into the same people I see every day on my off time

Lol who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

zulutango wrote: »
    It would be great if there was a running track in the city too. LPYMA is the obvious location.

LPYMA may only been a grass track. Saying that as someone who trained under Willie Logan.

Advertisement