Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on how to approach raising my tenants rent.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I really don't see the problem with being generous to friends, or strangers for that matter.

From each according to ability, to each according to need.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Being generous to friends or people who have earned it is a good thing.

When the legislation changes to punish you for that generosity in the past it sort of knocks out any left in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Lumen wrote: »
    I really don't see the problem with being generous to friends, or strangers for that matter.

Thats all well and good, but the o.p. is in financial difficulties while his friend gets a free roof over his head, only its the o.p.'s roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Being generous to friends or people who have earned it is a good thing.
    That's a very transactional view of life, where acts of generosity are precisely metered against reciprocal acts.

But that's not really generosity at all, since generosity requires asymmetry.

We have codified this into our social contract through welfare and tax redistribution, and informally through charitable giving.

There's nothing to stop private businesses from being charitable either. As many have posted here before, the small Irish landlord is a paragon of charity compared to the heartless mercenary vulture funds. Bless their souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Lumen wrote: »

The OP needs cash, and the increase won't affect his mate in any way.
    Bexil wrote: »
    He's also claiming rent Allowance which covers his rent completly but I'm not sure if there is another limit imposed on me by the Rent Allowance like the 4%.
    If you say what county you're in, someone could tell you the limit that you can get from from the government, via your mate.
    Bexil wrote: »
    He's also asked if his girlfriend can move in for 3 months. Would I need to start a new contract with him and her for the duration she stays and then switch back to the old contract when she is gone?
    Do you have a contract with the mate? You may have given him rights that he shouldn't have. Regardless, once she's in, do you really think you'll be able to get her out again without evicting them both? Does she work? Will you have enough room when the kid pops out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the_syco wrote: »
    The OP needs cash, and the increase won't affect his mate in any way.

If you say what county you're in, someone could tell you the limit that you can get from from the government, via your mate.

Do you have a contract with the mate? You may have given him rights that he shouldn't have. Regardless, once she's in, do you really think you'll be able to get her out again without evicting them both? Does she work? Will you have enough room when the kid pops out?

See post 15- its Dunlaoghaire Rathdown......... I put up the limits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

the housing crisis is very real I have witnessed a very small amount of lady's in the "know" who are in hotels yet living at home

to jump the housing lists

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

utmbuilder wrote: »
    the housing crisis is very real I have witnessed a very small amount of lady's in the "know" who are in hotels yet living at home

I know one who rents out the hotel room to her relatives to come over and stay for the weekends while she and her kids stay in her mothers council house. And brags about it. And no, I wont report her because I would be found face down in the river tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I know one who rents out the hotel room to her relatives to come over and stay for the weekends while she and her kids stay in her mothers council house. And brags about it. And no, I wont report her because I would be found face down in the river tomorrow.

They are “entitled “ whilst I’m at it when did they all start using this “forever home” phrase?

Surely can’t be hard for the authorities to weed out the people who are playing the system

I very much doubt the authorities ask for letters from these people to prove their landlord actually did sell etc

They (council)seem to know who to chase and who to leave well alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

utmbuilder wrote: »

those who know and dont say are complicite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Sit him down and explain the situation in a clear fashion.Get him paying a portion of the bills to start with. No where else wouldhe get such a deal. If he doesnt like it tell him he will have to look elsewhere... hes totally taking the piss

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sit him down and explain the situation in a clear fashion.Get him paying a portion of the bills to start with. No where else wouldhe get such a deal. If he doesnt like it tell him he will have to look elsewhere... hes totally taking the piss

And then there is the suggestion that he wants to move his girlfriend in too..........

OP- honestly- in my eyes there is no sitting down and holding a conference with him- it is plain and simple- he has abused the situation- and is out. You are entitled to 14k per annum tax free under the rent-a-room scheme. You are in financial difficulty. 14k tax free is a considerable sum- which could change your life and make things a lot less stressful. HAP etc- is just stress and paperwork- and your so called friend couldn't even have been arsed to investigate what his entitlements are- to try and alleviate the stress he was putting you under.

If he moves his girlfriend in- you may as well just move out- its not your home anymore- you're a gooseberry.

I'm sure you had the very best of intentions when you thought you'd help out your mate- well, your generosity has been abused- and you're now in financial difficulty yourself- and instead of trying to see how he could alleviate the situation- he is instead suggesting adding his partner to the mix...........

The term 'soft-touch' comes to mind- he sees you as the ultimate soft-touch. If you weren't in such dire financial straits yourself- and generous in nature- it would be one thing- its not though- you are being taken for a fool.........

And for crying out loud- stop referring to yourself as a landlord- you're 100% most certainly and definitely *not* one.

Advertisement