Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic electrician apprentices

Options
  • 28-08-2018 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi

I recently took on a apprentice but when I rang solas to register him they said they will have to meet me to see can I train him because my work at the moment is all domestic work.

They told me I can't take on a apprentice unless I have work involving industrial and motor control etc.

Anyone any experience with this?
    Or do most employers say they have motor control jobs even if they don't.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

jasushaw wrote: »
    They told me I can't take on a apprentice unless I have work involving industrial and motor control etc.

Never heard of that before. However I think that if you are training an apprentice there are certain minimum requirements and understanding basic wiring of DOL motors should be one of them.
    Or do most employers say they have motor control jobs even if they don't.

I would hope that all electricians training apprentices should be able to explain this to an apprentice even if they don’t do this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You should be able to work around it.

Advertisement