Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US preclearance Dublin airport terminal 2

• 28-08-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭

hi all have a flight on sept 9 at 8.50am in the morning leaving my hotel at 4.00am and will be at airport approx 4.30am. I need check on my bag ang get my ticket - i will then go to security I got a fast track security thanks to a lad here on boards so i have that will fast track me through security. my question is will i have enough time after irish security to get breakfast after than go to us customs clearance iv never been to states and wondering how long does the customs clearance take? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Once you've cleared the standard security, generally you'll have some time to grab a bite. The US pre-clearance process people by flight, so with all things running smoothly on the timeline you've suggested, you'll most likely have plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

perfect thanks, im arrived well in time so im just making sure. i no there isnt much food past the us customs so il have grab something just after security. roughly how long does it take to get through the us clearance? would it be 20-30 mins or shorter first time to states so just wondering also do you need a copy of your esta? or is it something that is scanned by them without a print out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You do not need the Esta but no harm to have it available on email - it will be known to the Border Agents by your passport in their system.

Time simply depends on the volume in my experiences 20-30 minutes gets you through this process - you have to clear security again (no fast track this time unless business) and then queue to the agents - it is well organised with lots of desks open.

They will fingerprint, photograph and ask you to confirm your checked in bag then generally get the stamp and pass through.

cool thanks for that as i say its first time so not sure of the process involved think myself i have plenty of time with the time im leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

thebiglad wrote: »
    You do not need the Esta but no harm to have it available on email - it will be known to the Border Agents by your passport in their system.

E-mail will do nothing and telling a first time traveller that it's 'no harm to' have an electronic or paper copy of the ESTA approval suggests that it might be useful to have which is not the case and will cause needless anxiety while the OP is queueing for immigration and checks and double-checks that it's ready to show on his/her mobile.

The US immigration agent inputs your Irish passport number into their system and it will say that you either have or do not have ESTA. Paper or e-mail will do nothing so just don't bother.

• Advertisement

thanks so there is no need to have it on email i wont bring it then. excuse my ignorance as i say first time travelling to the states so its all new to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭thebiglad

coylemj wrote: »
    E-mail will do nothing and telling a first time traveller that it's 'no harm to' have an electronic or paper copy of the ESTA approval suggests that it might be useful to have which is not the case and will cause needless anxiety while the OP is queueing for immigration and checks and double-checks that it's ready to show on his/her mobile.

The US immigration agent inputs your Irish passport number into their system and it will say that you either have or do not have ESTA. Paper or e-mail will do nothing so just don't bother.

I will take my guidance from the bottom of my most recent ESTA - sure it doesn't say you should have it with you or whether it'll make any difference but for the sake of carrying a print out in your bag.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has developed a new program called Automated Passport Control (APC) that expedites the entry process for eligible Visa Waiver Program international travelers by providing an automated process through CBP's Primary Inspection area. To learn more about APC and participating airports following this link: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/automated-passport-control-apc

DHS RECOMMENDS YOU PRINT THIS SCREEN FOR YOUR RECORDS.

I take my guidance from the ESTA FAQ .....

Do I need to bring a printout or digital copy of my travel authorization to the airport?

No.

Yes, they do go on to recommend that you print it off 'for your records' - whatever that means. Because you can retrieve your ESTA using your passport number. And they send you an e-mail reminder a month before it expires.

So you do not need to record the approval number, or print it, or bring a paper or digital copy to the airport.

I know this is a trivial issue but it's not if you are a first time traveller who will be worrying if he/she has all the required documentation when queuing for the CBP disk. So instead of telling them that 'it's no harm to....', it's better to simply say that you do not need it because it's one less thing for them to worry about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hijacking the thread for my own, similar, question: does the pre-clearance add much to the standard airport flow? I generally aim to arrive 2 hours before any other flight (approx. 3:30pm), so should I factor in US custom shenanigans and arrive even earlier, or would that be enough?

Actually, add to that, is there a 'point of no return' with pre-clearance; IE, once I go past it I can't get back to the main concourse for a coffee or whatnot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Are you risk averse PB?

Best to add some time on to account for pre clearance.

There is a point of no return beyond which you can't get back to the main concourse, iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I was suspecting I may need to add time for pre-clearance, but wanted to run it past the thread.

Thanks all, i think me going to be at the airport at 4.30am is a bit madness is it? i have the fast track booked (got it free) but was thinking if i left my hotel at 5am arrive at 5.25 am at airport il have enough time even to grab a bite aswell? My flight isnt until 8.50am now i know you board at 8am but i think i will be able sit down for food after irish security around 6am? and go through US clearance around 7am do ye think im safe? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

AFAIK preclearance doesn't open until 6am, many times I have waited at the top of the stairs for it to open but am open to correction on that.

cool thanks might try get clarifcation on that someway. i dont mind being at airport early i always am but i think being there at 4.30 am for a 8.50am flight seems a little long i think il get away by arriving at 5.30am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

They usually suggest being at the airport 3 hours in advance for a US flight. Bear in mind that the bag drop/check in queues are often a lot longer for US flights, as very few people go with only hand luggage. If you want a leisurely sit down breakfast, split the difference and aim to arrive for 5am?

I presume US flights (via Aer Lingus) don't force any specific differences with cabin baggage? The old laptop + small suitcase combo is still OK to take on?

I would love to arrive at 5am but my airport shuttle from my hotel only goes every hour so tis either 4am or 5am maybe i just go at 4am and be at my ease also need get my tickets and check my bag etc so i should really just get up the hour earlier :)

pixelburp wrote: »
    I presume US flights (via Aer Lingus) don't force any specific differences with cabin baggage? The old laptop + small suitcase combo is still OK to take on?

I had a look on their site and says you can bring cabin bag and another small personal item eg. laptop bag so your good

also anyone travelled recently be able to tell me past Irish security is there alot places to eat dont ever fly from dublin im nearer to shannon but this time Dublin so wondering is there a place to get brekkie past irish security before US security? thanks

revoke12 wrote:
    also anyone travelled recently be able to tell me past Irish security is there alot places to eat dont ever fly from dublin im nearer to shannon but this time Dublin so wondering is there a place to get brekkie past irish security before US security? thanks

Terminal 1 or 2?

• Advertisement

Actually it doesn't matter; you will get breakfast in both after security but before preclearance.

sorry ment to mention terminal 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

revoke12 wrote: »
    I would love to arrive at 5am but my airport shuttle from my hotel only goes every hour so tis either 4am or 5am maybe i just go at 4am and be at my ease also need get my tickets and check my bag etc so i should really just get up the hour earlier :)

I'd get the 5am shuttle, should still have loads of time.

Loads in either terminal.

Enjoy your trip.

I'd get the 5am shuttle, should still have loads of time.

Loads in either terminal.

Enjoy your trip.

great thank you

Based on your first post (depart hotel 4 am, arrive airport 4:30 a.m.), you will be perfectly fine leaving at 5 a.m. and getting to the airport at 5:30 a.m. which will be more than three hours before your flight is due to depart.

Don't waste an hour of your life sitting in an airport when you could get an extra hour's sleep.

edit: schemingbohemia beat me to it

coylemj wrote: »
    Based on your first post (depart hotel 4 am, arrive airport 4:30 a.m.), you will be perfectly fine leaving at 5 a.m. and getting to the airport at 5:30 a.m. which will be more than three hours before your flight is due to depart.

Don't waste an hour of your life sitting in an airport when you could get an extra hour's sleep.

thanks thats what im thinking i usually fly from smaller airports and i havnt in dublin in years so wasnt sure of ques etc and dont want to be last minute rushing through terminals aswell i think all is good esp when i booked the fast track aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

AFAIK preclearance doesn't open until 6am, many times I have waited at the top of the stairs for it to open but am open to correction on that.

was through last Sunday, didn't open until 07:00 (could be different depending on the day). weren't allowed queue downstair until 06:45, flying business so I was like the second person through security and to see an agent, had an hour to relax before the flight :).

was through last Sunday, didn't open until 07:00 (could be different depending on the day). weren't allowed queue downstair until 06:45, flying business so I was like the second person through security and to see an agent, had an hour to relax before the flight :).

thanks for that. i wonder is it the same every day my flight is 8.50am not business class (I wish it was tho :) ) i think i will surely have enough time being at airport at 5.30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

plenty, you'll fly through the initial security (5-10 minutes), get breakfast and be wondering what to do for the next while until CBP opens.

CBP will call people forward if their flight is boarding so you can be at the back of the queue and get bumped right up to the top if you're running extremely late.

• Advertisement

plenty, you'll fly through the initial security (5-10 minutes), get breakfast and be wondering what to do for the next while until CBP opens.

CBP will call people forward if their flight is boarding so you can be at the back of the queue and get bumped right up to the top if you're running extremely late.

Great thank you excuse my ignorance first time flying to the us so have never experienced the customs security etc associated with it. After you go through the irish normal security is there restaurants etc there and then you can go on to the CBP or is the irish and us security right after each other?appreciated

Advertisement