Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contaminated water in rental property

Options
  • 28-08-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

The background: We've been living in a rented house for 4 years and 1 month and have had recurring water problems throughout, usually with the supply drying up. We share the water supply with the dairy farm down the lane and the farmer is also our landlord. Depending on the time of day, usually morning and tea time, our pressure drops and there may be no water or just a trickle. We have lived with this and just have water in containers for back up. About two years ago, the water was briefly contaminated with what looked and smelled like heating oil, but this was rectified.

The problem: Due to the drought, our landlord drilled a new well. The water we currently receive is yellowish in colour. We had the water tested and it came back as contaminated with e. coli and other coliforms and the laboratory advised us to boil the water before using. In fact, we don't use the water for consumption at all just in case as the colour is very off putting and the lab couldn't identify the cause without further testing.

We advised our landlord of this as although we can boil before drinking and cooking, we are still showering, etc in this water. He became very angry and said he couldn't do anything else.

After checking the LL obligations on CI and other sites, it seems that he doesn't have to actually provide us with potable drinking water. The obligations seems to be more for the standard of the property and cooking/washing facilities but no mention is made of water of a certain quality. Is this implied or is the LL really not responsible for providing 'safe' drinking water (ie without requiring boiling)?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

A landlord is obliged to supply you with the means to collect and store water- if the property is not on a formal water scheme or a public water main- however, it doesn't say anywhere that the water has to be potable. Unfortunately- even on public water supplies- contamination is a serious issue- and a lot of the North West is currently on a boil notice (as is Galway city- and several areas of Dublin)..........

Its not an ideal situation- and the fact that the water is discoloured- is a giveaway that there is a high possibility of it being contaminated.

Ultimately- I'd suggest- move. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You might want to look at getting an in-line UV steriliser for the water supply and see if the LL would cough up for it.

Being a farmer, that isn't likely, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The drought may well have the landlord under stress 're supplying water for stock as well as houses along with financial strain of extra feed etc. which may explain the angry reaction, obviously it doesn't excuse it either. It's likely this water will have to be tested for farming reasons as well so as a possible way to resolve the issue perhaps enquire off the lab who did the test for you what treatment solutions are there and go to him with possible solutions. If you do the research and show there are solutions it would be so much done and he may follow it up. We have our own wells and the same supply feeds our house which is the case for many I assume so it would benefit him as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... and a lot of the North West is currently on a boil notice (as is Galway city- and several areas of Dublin)..........

Is it? Links please ... No one I know seems to be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Mooooo wrote: »
    The drought may well have the landlord under stress 're supplying water for stock as well as houses along with financial strain of extra feed etc. which may explain the angry reaction, obviously it doesn't excuse it either. It's likely this water will have to be tested for farming reasons as well so as a possible way to resolve the issue perhaps enquire off the lab who did the test for you what treatment solutions are there and go to him with possible solutions. If you do the research and show there are solutions it would be so much done and he may follow it up. We have our own wells and the same supply feeds our house which is the case for many I assume so it would benefit him as well

Yes, he's under severe pressure even with the cost of drilling a new well alone. It's an unprecedented year really, and has really made me aware of water usage. That's a good suggestion though, and doesn't put all the onus on him when he probably can hardly think straight anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Suggest to him he get a tank and take and store it off the roof?
    It's really common over here in NZ, all my water comes off the roof.
    Tanks are dirt cheap (10k litres should be about 2k eur or less) and while putting in piping and pump may not be as cheap, it's still a far cheaper process than drilling a well.

Is it? Links please ... No one I know seems to be aware of this.

There you go: https://www.water.ie/water-supply/supply-and-service-update/

As of this morning there are 23 separate boil notices or outages in effect in Galway city and county- the highest number of any county in the country.

The largest single boil notice (by area of population) is in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Puzzled. Last year, I think it was July? Was there not a new regulation that there had to be a potable water supply as part of rental minimum standards?

I remember it as I was then on a mountain stream water supply and was challenged about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There you go: https://www.water.ie/water-supply/supply-and-service-update/

As of this morning there are 23 separate boil notices or outages in effect in Galway city and county- the highest number of any county in the country.

The largest single boil notice (by area of population) is in Cork City.

Big difference between outages and boil water notice.

There are none of the latter in Galway city. There were several outages on Monday , but they're now fixed.

Big difference between outages and boil water notice.

There are none of the latter in Galway city. There were several outages on Monday , but they're now fixed.

As of this evening there are 18 outages- featuring 3 burst mains (one at Ballybrit and one at Renmore), and two boil notices- one in Ballyconnell one in Kilcolgan......

Yes- there are many outages that were fixed over the weekend- unfortunately- there are also a shedload of new outages (and one of the boil notices has been in effect since the start of June).

Thats the nature of water supplies.......

Anyhow- this doesn't concern the OP and their water from their private water source. OP- sorry for the off-topic post.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Puzzled. Last year, I think it was July? Was there not a new regulation that there had to be a potable water supply as part of rental minimum standards?

I remember it as I was then on a mountain stream water supply and was challenged about it.

Here it is in the Irish Statute Book

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/464/made/en/print

Under food preparation etc.

When someone dumped slurry near my well once the Environmental Health folk came and tested the water and were very concerned

Graces7 wrote: »
    Here it is in the Irish Statute Book

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/464/made/en/print

Under food preparation etc.

When someone dumped slurry near my well once the Environmental Health folk came and tested the water and were very concerned

Just wondering- that reg details sampling requirements for water supplies- its nothing whatsoever to do with the supply of water (anywhere)- its to do with sampling of water to determine compliance with various requirements......... Am I missing something?

Just wondering- that reg details sampling requirements for water supplies- its nothing whatsoever to do with the supply of water (anywhere)- its to do with sampling of water to determine compliance with various requirements......... Am I missing something?

sorry; working on a different computer and could not copy/paste the exact wording

I think you are on a different document?
    This is section 7 of
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2017/si/17/made/en/print

Here it is

"
    Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry

(e) Sink, with a piped supply of potable cold water taken direct from the service pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to the building containing the house and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and an adequate draining area,"

it is very clear. The OP needs to know this?

Advertisement