Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - €2,000 budget.

Options
  • 28-08-2018 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi, oh wise ones,
    It is time for the bike to work again, i will sell my current bike and add a few bob, and have a €2,000 budget.
    I currently have a canyon ultimate al (2012/3) with campagnola athena II parts, Mavik Aksium wheels. I cycle for exercise, and will do up to 100km in one sitting.
    I visited my LBS, and he recommended either the Giant defy advanced 1 or 2 (prefferred the colour of the 2, but he tells me the parts on the one are worth the extra money.
    I visited the Giant store on the longmile road, and he suggests not going above the defy/advanced as i would be wasting money. There was one defy advanced pro left in store, but it was 600 euro above budget, so he says that all 2018 bikes are gone and i would be waiting until September for the 2019 version.
    My question is this, were they both right suggesting that i dont need more than defy, as i dont race.
    I am liking the thought of disc brakes and tubeless ready wheels.
    I also looked around, and saw this cube https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain-gtc/cube-attain-gtc-race-disc-greyngreen-2018/ and kinda like the look of it, would that be suitable.

OR, has anyone any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Have you looked at the Ribble or Dolan websites, some cracking value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

No, i hadnt, my problem is i get more confused the more i look, but i will go off now

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I paid 2k for TCR advanced 1 with full Ultegra and it has been worth every penny with plenty years left in it yet. I did upgrade wheels but most do anyway so I'd highly recommend a TCR advanced 1 at that price.

dahat wrote: »
    I paid 2k for TCR advanced 1 with full Ultegra and it has been worth every penny with plenty years left in it yet. I did upgrade wheels but most do anyway so I'd highly recommend a TCR advanced 1 at that price.

I did look at TCR, but the two (LBS and Giant store) said it was too much bike for me, i dont know, plus the colours for 2019 are very dead, dull lookingnto me. The specs are very good on the advanced disc 1.

This is getting very complicated, i just looked at both ribble and dolan, and they have so many variables, and choices, im flummoxed.

Spent an hour in a bike shop today, got a good vibe from the salesman/owner of the shop, and kinda like what he is offering.

The Cube Attain GTC SL 2019 (€1999)

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/

I also spoke to someone else and they are recommending a Fuji Gran Fondo disc 2.3 2018 (€2150)

http://www.gallaghercycles.com/home/651-fuji-transonic-sl-2016.html

Does anyone have any opinions on these two - is one better than the other?

Or again, any other better options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I don't know what "too much bike" means. The best bike for your budget is the best bike for you imo.

Well, for instance, there is a racing geometry that would make it uncomfortable for an old guy lime me who doesnt race. There is obviously the tyre widths accepted by the bike, that might be riggt for you, but for comfort, it would be best to have a bike with 28mm tyres, etc.

On the actual point, have you any opinions on the various bikes that my budget can stretch too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re the fuji - €2150 for 105 and brakes which are not full hydraulic seems steep.
    the cube in your first post seems to boast about being a race bike, so may be a bit aggressive for you.
    i've a genesis equilibrium 20 - which i love - but genesis are not cheap; seems to be in a similar price bracket to the fuji above (it's €100 more than the fuji with discs, 105 but has full hydraulic brakes, from the irish stockists). not a light bike, but it's a great mile muncher. and looks much nicer than the fuji too, if that matters to you.

Thanks, agreed, the cube in the first post is more racing than i want, when i talked to a huy in the shop he explained geometry to me (id heard the word, but didnt understand until he showed me)

It's now between the cube and Fuji in post 6
    The shop that was selling the fuji has told me theyll do it for €1950 now, and include a 50 euro goody bag. It won sportive bike of the year 2017 apparently.

I am kinda leaning towards the cube, it is not available for a few weeks anyway, so can do some soul searching. I just really dont want to buy in haste, and repent at leisure.

Your genisis- am i right it is a alu chrome alloy frame? And one thing about looks is, i hate red (something to do with being a man City fan) but it actually is a nice looking bike, almost reminiscent of bikes from my teens, ie steel frames.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not aluminium, but steel - so will undoubtedly be a heavier bike than the other options you've been looking at.
    being a man city fan though, you'd be happy that it has more blue than red:
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-sportive/equlibrium-disc/equilibrium-disc-20

edit - only 1KG heavier than the cube in the first post, which is not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've been using a cube enduro last couple of year's, very happy with it. It's a tough call op, a lot of great bikes in that range, try as many as you can. Best of luck

So the guy who was quoting me for the Fuji and i had a chat on messenger, he telks me he does cube too, but he would still recommend the fuji for comfort, specifically because i may be doing sportif distances, anyone any opinions specifically on these two?

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/
    Cube attain GTC SL disc

Or

http://www.gallaghercycles.com/home/651-fuji-transonic-sl-2016.html

Fuji Gran Frodo 2.3

I know the fuji is 105, cube ultegra. Fuji not hydraulic disc, cube hydraulic disc, but that is all i KNOW, please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

re the fuji - €2150 for 105 and brakes which are not full hydraulic seems steep.
    the cube in your first post seems to boast about being a race bike, so may be a bit aggressive for you.
    i've a genesis equilibrium 20 - which i love - but genesis are not cheap; seems to be in a similar price bracket to the fuji above (it's €100 more than the fuji with discs, 105 but has full hydraulic brakes, from the irish stockists). not a light bike, but it's a great mile muncher. and looks much nicer than the fuji too, if that matters to you.

Isn’t the R7070 full hydraulic?

I’d be more worried about the fulcrums.
    I know that they are 66 but I had the 7 and 77 snd has problems with the hubs as did many other people. Are the 66 sealed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I would go for the Cube all day if it's only between these two. I would also look at Giant Defy Advanced bikes as some great deals available on 2018 models

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

not aluminium, but steel - so will undoubtedly be a heavier bike than the other options you've been looking at.
    being a man city fan though, you'd be happy that it has more blue than red:
    https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/road-sportive/equlibrium-disc/equilibrium-disc-20

edit - only 1KG heavier than the cube in the first post, which is not too bad.

That's a nice looking bike. Being steel, it'll get a second-glance from your peers, if that sort of thing is important to you; otherwise, I can imagine it'd be beautiful to ride.

To me it's best when you pick a bike off the wall and just love how it goes down the road. If it turns heads in the process, that's a nice bonus.

interesting bit of branding on the genesis site on the wheels; on the non-disc equilibriums, they supply jalco branded wheels. on the disc version, they're genesis branded. but they're still jalco wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-7-0.html

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-sl-8-0.html2

Either of the above two canyons will do the job very well albeit the second one is 100 over your budget.

Thanks mate, both are well within my 2,000 budget,(ifbi am looking at the correct two) and i currently have a canyon, so will give these a closer look, and maybe look at some upgrades to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I got the giant advanced pro 1 recently. You are probably aware it comes tubeless ready, best do your research into that technology before you commit, but you can always insert tubes too. Very good bike overall, like you I do sportives and much prefer the endurance set up over the pure racing bike like the TCR.

With tubeless you can ride 85psi at the rear and 80psi on thee front, much more comfortable and better grip.

I’d recommend watching some YouTube videos on tubeless first. It gets a lot of bad press but I think is well suited to rough Irish road surfaces.

Thanks for all the input, i have decided to go for the Cube GTC SL disc, hopefully i have plenty more years hassle free cycling.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

wheelo01 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input, i have decided to go for the Cube GTC SL disc, hopefully i have plenty more years hassle free cycling.

Thanks again.

What was the main deciding factor? The Ultegra groupset?

Yes, the Integra, the brakes (someone dissed the Fuji brakes), and the fact the chap who owns the shop seems knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to discuss all options in a seemingly honest way.
    The shop who was selling the Fuji, only wanted to talk about it, told me my guy had misquoted the price on the Cube - "If you can get it for that price, will you get me 10" , told me he sells cube too, and quoted me 2650 for a 1999 bike, and wouldn't accept he had made a mistake, so I got a turn against him.

Advertisement