Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

University Challenge questions made more difficult so as not to offend anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭NOVA MCMXCIV

The world is f***ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bunny Carr wouldn’t have stood for that ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There are questions in University Challenge ?

Thats the program about birds with humongous knockers, guys with mad fringes, or couples with sexual tension oozing right out of your TV ? Are they going for a new angle now by adding a quiz element ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Have you ever watched a quiz and thought "that question was definitely written by a man"? I know I haven't.

And that's why you're not on University Challenge :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have you ever watched a quiz and thought "that question was definitely written by a man"?
    The good ones? *runs for life* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Bring back fifteen to one and william g stewart. Best quiz ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

More of a Going for Gold man myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

More of a Going for Gold man myself

With that Hans Zimmer theme tune :)

There are questions in University Challenge ?

Thats the program about birds with humongous knockers, guys with mad fringes, or couples with sexual tension oozing right out of your TV ? Are they going for a new angle now by adding a quiz element ?

I've started, so I'll finish :pac:

valoren wrote: »
    With that Hans Zimmer theme tune :)

He was cutting his teeth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

The comments on that article are pretty interesting.
    Similar to white fragility, it's essentially male fragility.

Key quote from the article
    "Mr Gwyn told how the move came after a viewer wrote in to complain about how few questions were about women. “We agreed and decided to rectify it,” he told Radio Times."

As a man, why should that bother me. It really seems to trigger some people (presumably men) though.
    Having more questions related to women shouldn't be a threat to men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Khaleesi Unsightly Buckle

vetinari wrote: »

"Mr Gwyn told how the move came after a viewer wrote in to complain about how few questions were about women. “We agreed and decided to rectify it,” he told Radio Times."

As a man, why should that bother me. It really seems to trigger some people (presumably men) though.
    a viewer???? really did they sit down and watch every episode and took count on the questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Where does it say that the questions have been made more difficult so as not to offend anyone?

I see an effort to introduce a bit of balance by not ignoring the academic and cultural contributions of women prominent in their fields. The contestants' inability to answer them is more a reflection of the content of courses they are studying.

I have a Masters in Philosophy and wouldn't be able to answer any questions on the female philosophers included in the example given in the article.

I studied 3 female philosophers (highly influential in their own right) and from canvassing graduates from other universities that's three more than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Da fcuk is gender neutral questioning? A question is a question isnt it?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Your question marks are very male.

Aggressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Aggressive

defensive :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wait 'til you see what's at the end of this sentence !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Khaleesi Unsightly Buckle

itll probably now be something stupid like on the chase, name the last manager to win the premier league and they have to have a female answer as an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

vetinari wrote: »

They're asking bullshit questions about obscure women no one has heard of and making the programme unwatchable to both male and female viewers. They can ask all the questions they want about women who have done something notable but very few people know anything about female philosophers nor should they be expected to care about them. The male ones are useless enough as it is.

In much the same way their comedy panel quizzes have token female guests who aren't remotely funny just to meet some quota. The BBC are so obsessed with not offending anyone they've forgotten their programmes should be entertaining. It has nothing to do with 'male fragility' whatever the fuck that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Starter for ten.

Anne Boyleyn was a lady. Her husband, Henry VIII, appointed which lawyer as chief minister in 1532?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I agree with Irish Guitarist that it's too hard and I'm offended by the questions not being easier - we don't all have a degree in economics... maths, physics... and bionics.

Starter for ten.

Anne Boyleyn was a lady.
    That's debatable.

I agree with Irish Guitarist that it's too hard and I'm offended by the questions not being easier - we don't all have a degree in economics... maths, physics... and bionics.
    That's why they made The Chase and Tipping Point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

University Challenge is apparently going to change their questions .....
    I think they should make the questions easier. What about my rights as a stupid person to not be offended?

You're not stupid. You're just Irish, so don't be too hard on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Mastermind strikes the perfect balance for me. And the newish one Only Connect is even harder than UC I think, but I still enjoy it for the sheer out-there sh*t I learn from it!

Mastermind strikes the perfect balance for me. And the newish one Only Connect is even harder than UC I think, but I still enjoy it for the sheer out-there sh*t I learn from it!
    Only Connect is WAY harder than UC!

The questions on UC are not difficult to a student of a particular subject being studied. The difficulty comes in the broad range of subjects covered. It always amazing me that a 19 year old science student can rhyme off answers to humanities and social science questions and vice versa. How the hell do the get the time to absorb all that info?

Agree with you about Mastermind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a bit like crossword puzzles. The fun is not the same as difficulty.

I like the Irish Times clues. CBA doing a crossword where the clue is just a word to look up in a thesaurus.

Anyway QI has dumbed down too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

They're asking bullshit questions about obscure women no one has heard of and making the programme unwatchable to both male and female viewers. They can ask all the questions they want about women who have done something notable but very few people know anything about female philosophers nor should they be expected to care about them. The male ones are useless enough as it is.

In much the same way their comedy panel quizzes have token female guests who aren't remotely funny just to meet some quota. The BBC are so obsessed with not offending anyone they've forgotten their programmes should be entertaining. It has nothing to do with 'male fragility' whatever the fuck that is.
    Your post could be a good example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I noticed something similar during the 1916 Rising commemorations. In the name of "balance" they had to play up the female participants of the rising, which is fine and well, I doubt anyone has much of a problem with that.

What did seem ridiculous though was how many of these pieces contained lines about "the forgotten women of the rising" and how "Ireland shamefully didn't remember them as they did Pearse and Connolly". This ignored the obvious reason that these women were just grunts in the Rising, and history doesn't remember the names of grunts whether they be male or female. Random female footsoldiers were being made out to be just as notable as the leaders.

I wouldn't call it rewriting history, but it's certainly a twisting of the truth.

dulpit wrote: »

I guess a woman complaining to the BBC that she can't answer the questions on a quiz would be a good example of female fragility then.

dulpit wrote: »

I guess a woman complaining to the BBC that she can't answer the questions on a quiz would be a good example of female fragility then.
    Yes it would. If it had happened.

Sorry. I could have sworn that article about University Challenge getting complaints about their questions existed but I must have dreamed it.

Sorry. I could have sworn that article about University Challenge getting complaints about their questions existed but I must have dreamed it.
    You dreamt the bit about the woman complaining she couldn't answer the questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was it Jesus Vs Magdalen?

• Advertisement

Nah
    Footlights versus Scumbag
    "Rah, rah, rah! We're going to smash the Oiks!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Was it Jesus Vs Magdalen?

whatever it was, it was maudlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

William G Stewart died last year so you'll have to make do with Sandi Toksvig.
    Starter for ten.

Anne Boyleyn was a lady.
    Actually, Henry VIII granted her the title Marquess of Pembroke, a male title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anytime I think of University Challenge i'm always reminded of this episode of The Young Ones. Pure comedy gold :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

How does auld Paxman feel about this? I wouldn't say he'd be too impressed with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

University Challenge is apparently going to change their questions so it won't be possible to tell whether they were written by a man or a woman.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/08/27/university-challenge-introduce-gender-neutral-questionsfollowing/

Have you ever watched a quiz and thought "that question was definitely written by a man"? I know I haven't.

It's getting more difficult too because they're throwing in questions about women that no one has heard of.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/25/university-challenge-gender-balances-questions-amid-suggestions/

I used to watch University Challenge and on a good night I'd get maybe three answers correct. I think they should make the questions easier. What about my rights as a stupid person to not be offended?

Why would knowing something make you smarter? I don't understand this fallacy. Not only is it based purely on memory but also on how much time you spent reading it and for some reason remembered kings and dates, etc.

So I ask you, which is the smarter man/woman, the one with their heads buried in dry old history books giving fifth hand accounts of things that happened thousands of years ago, and for some inexplicable reason remembering things that are not relevant to an understanding of how olden times were, or the one watching this?:

I think the answer is obvious.

Besides that, there's something funny/odd about the whole thing, I'm not sure what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

I see an effort to introduce a bit of balance by not ignoring the academic and cultural contributions of women prominent in their fields. The contestants' inability to answer them is more a reflection of the content of courses they are studying.

I genuinely don't think it's the case that university courses systematically ignore all of the prominent female philosophers and mathematicians throughout history. The blunt reality is that there just haven't been many influential women in some fields. Certainly we can debate why that's the case -- but it's just not true that universities are ignoring all of the prominent and important women. Quite the opposite, in many instances, where relatively minor achievements are elevated to an almost absurd level of importance because of the person's gender or race in a university system obsessed with identity politics. You'd think Ada Lovelace singlehandedly invented the entire discipline of computer science the way some people talk about her in the interest of "celebrating women's contributions." In reality, she's a relatively minor historical footnote.

On the notion UC is too hard. Think about it. It has to be. Winning UC is good for PR. So the Uni's will want to field the strongest team possible and I am sure competition to get on these teams is quite high as well. Good for the CV, So when you have six brain boxes to quiz then the standard and difficulty of the questions needs to be a lot higher than "A stitich in time saves......how many?"

henrysellars.jpg

How does auld Paxman feel about this? I wouldn't say he'd be too impressed with it

He was getting £240,000 a year to host it as far back as 2006 so I think he won't mind that much. A few sardonic quips will suffice. "Welcome to the new series of University Challenge, right enough of that..ten points for this..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I was on that once a billion years ago - got down to the last four (like one person off before the final) and gt a question wrong on Irish horseracing.

I'm Irish and love racing! Still pisses me off to this day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

He thinks that I'm a cabbage
    'cause I hate university challenge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

He thinks that I'm a cabbage
    'cause I hate university challenge!

****ing class tune that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

university-challen_1120947c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I genuinely don't think it's the case that university courses systematically ignore all of the prominent female philosophers and mathematicians throughout history. The blunt reality is that there just haven't been many influential women in some fields. Certainly we can debate why that's the case -- but it's just not true that universities are ignoring all of the prominent and important women. Quite the opposite, in many instances, where relatively minor achievements are elevated to an almost absurd level of importance because of the person's gender or race in a university system obsessed with identity politics. You'd think Ada Lovelace singlehandedly invented the entire discipline of computer science the way some people talk about her in the interest of "celebrating women's contributions." In reality, she's a relatively minor historical footnote.

Exactly. Most of the advanves throughout history have been driven by men. Trying to pretend otherwise for ideological reasons is just false.

Ironically a coupe of really influential women are rarely talked about: Elizabeth I, who laid the foundations for the British Empire, Margaret Thatcher and more recently Theresa May. For some reason they are taboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

valoren wrote: »
    On the notion UC is too hard. Think about it. It has to be. Winning UC is good for PR. So the Uni's will want to field the strongest team possible and I am sure competition to get on these teams is quite high as well. Good for the CV, So when you have six brain boxes to quiz then the standard and difficulty of the questions needs to be a lot higher than "A stitich in time saves......how many?"

henrysellars.jpg

This whole thread could be summed up by stupid men think that hard quiz is too hard and questions about women are too hard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement