Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just saw this on twitter, don't know anything about recycling either but doesn't look good. You would really hope the whole eco-friendly festival talk wasn't just a lip service.

https://twitter.com/MichelleACotter/status/1158442101711003648

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Eod100 wrote: »
    I didn't write that or anything, just think it gives decent overall summary. Yes agree on that. Saw people asking for the event licence which either wasn't available online beforehand or is now taken down. Won't make a difference for this year but hopefully can learn from mistakes this year. I really hope they don't upscale again further this year. Would be nice to know at least what intended maximum capacity is once buying ticket

Oh yeah Eod100, am aware it was someone from the Nialler9 team. Makes for good reading, the guy obviously loved it and so did a fair few posters here. He just let POD off the hook. And can't see them getting an increased capacity in next year's licence, if anything a decreased capacity unless they allow people in on Thursday night and give guarantees re stewarding, policing, etc.

A fair few local objections on the way. And any festival goers with kids who turned back after hours of queuing would have a reasonable legal case against POD to get their money refunded. Others missing out on Friday acts would have a case for a particla refund also. Can't see there being enough actions to greatly impact on POD's finances but there may be some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Eod100 wrote: »
    Fairly balanced review here I think: https://nialler9.com/all-together-now-2019-review/

Teething problems!. Is he being paid by pod to keep the real truth at bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Teething problems!. Is he being paid by pod to keep the real truth at bay?

Oh God, more faux indignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭BangBeater

Just saw this on twitter, don't know anything about recycling either but doesn't look good. You would really hope the whole eco-friendly festival talk wasn't just a lip service.

Jaysus! How does this work indeed??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Oh yeah Eod100, am aware it was someone from the Nialler9 team. Makes for good reading, the guy obviously loved it and so did a fair few posters here. He just let POD off the hook. And can't see them getting an increased capacity in next year's licence, if anything a decreased capacity unless they allow people in on Thursday night and give guarantees re stewarding, policing, etc.

A fair few local objections on the way. And any festival goers with kids who turned back after hours of queuing would have a reasonable legal case against POD to get their money refunded. Others missing out on Friday acts would have a case for a particla refund also. Can't see there being enough actions to greatly impact on POD's finances but there may be some.

No there won't. Talking ****e. You weren't even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I have 2 boys and I’ve zero interest in going to a festival with them. My wife and I will be at EP in a few weeks and they’ll be staying with their aunty and cousins .

You need to realise there’s just some places kids shouldn’t be brought. I don’t care how much people bang on about bringing their kids to festivals is great , I think you are trying to convince yourselfs more than anyone else

Another thing. Ppl need to realise that they are actually imposing their kids on the rest of the festival goers.

I and my friends are on our own buzz at a festival. This will probably involve loads of drink and other substances.

Personally speaking I don’t need the hassle of a rake of kids running around like lunatics and crying etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Another thing. Ppl need to realise that they are actually imposing their kids on the rest of the festival goers.

I and my friends are on our own buzz at a festival. This will probably involve loads of drink and other substances.

Personally speaking I don’t need the hassle of a rake of kids running around like lunatics and crying etc

You and your friends aren't the only people on earth though unfortunately, and as such, you should probably figure out a small bit of tolerance for other people's situation.

Hoboo wrote: »
    No there won't. Talking ****e. You weren't even there.

Legal term - Loss of Enjoyment. Anyone forced to turn back or missing the first day will succeed in the Small Claims court. It's a lot of hassle so most won't bother.

D.Q wrote: »
    You and your friends aren't the only people on earth though unfortunately, and as such, you should probably figure out a small bit of tolerance for other people's situation.

Not at a festival.

Ppl should have a small bit of cop on and realise festivals are not suitable environments for children

The same Sorcha and Doras types go ape sh1t over minor issues in a crèche (and more power to em)

yet willingly expose their small children to multiple serious risks at festivals. Why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

D.Q wrote: »

Not at a festival.

Ppl should have a small bit of cop on and realise festivals are not suitable environments for children

The same sorcha and Doras types go ape sh1t over minor issues in a crèche yet willingly expose their small children to multiple serious risks at festival. Why ?

More hazlet than the meat counter at Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

And families dont want your boring buzz imposing on them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Sorry I've been away so long, I had a lovely half week and weekend, I ended up putting phone on flight mode as the boards group on Whatsapp was constantly pinging and was away too busy for me. I was working in the camper van and caravan area and Friday was the most stressful day. The guys we were directing the vehicles to were panicking as we were running out of parking space.

There was times I had to halt the campers as the queue was in danger of choking movement in other areas. This is where I found out from some who just arrived, that they had been waiting in traffic from anything up to 6 to 8 hours. All I could do was smile and empathise with them that we were just as stressed coping with it too. I met Pablo and he gave me a coffee which I gladly took. I was glad that shift finished as the vans were still arriving and it was 9.30 PM. Another thing was groups of people arriving in campers and caravans. This year strict orders were given to allocate separate sections for caravans and campers because a fire officer almost had ATN shut down last year when he saw the vehicles mixed together, apparently its a health and safety issue. Anyways, going back to the groups arriving, it was hard to say that they had to be split up, but split up they had to be and I'm sorry about that grief but I had to follow these rules.

Highlights of the weekend, Friday watched full set of Orbital which was absolute class then off to Erol Alkan at the Afterburner which was banging, also checking out All Kinds of Everything and the Belonging Bandstand.

Saturday: Booka Brass on the Bandstand. Angie McMahon, Lisa Hannigan, Patti Smith, Kiasmos, Josh Wink at the Afterburner (After seeing Jon Hopkins 4 times now I opted for Josh Wink who was amazing). Hammer was also good, at one point I had to find a loo near the Something Kind of Wonderful tent and wasn't Leftfield ripping into Phat Planet, just as I was passing to go back to Arcadia the track was squelching and phasing, absolutely wicked.

Sunday: Loved Saint Sister, The Wailers in the downpour ;), Olafur Arnalds, Toby Kaar, an amazing 10 piece Afrobeat group called Yankari who were one of my absolute highlights, opting for them rather than stuff on the main stage or marquees and finally some nice drum n bass at the Arcadia Afterburner where I spent the rest of the night.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Legal term - Loss of Enjoyment. Anyone forced to turn back or missing the first day will succeed in the Small Claims court. It's a lot of hassle so most won't bother.

Ehh; bollocks. Loss of enjoyment is a personal injury claim.

'imposing their kids', what a load of BS. Just don't interact with them, the kids don't give a crap about a bunch of strange adults behaving like children believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I left Cork Friday @ 2:15 and I was setting up my tent @ 5:30. I really didn't hear anything about traffic issues until Saturday morning. I had a fantastic weekend overall and will definitely be back again.
    Similar things happened to Electric Picnic in its early days, bars running out of drink and long details in traffic. We just didn't have social media to listen to all the whingers.

Not at a festival.

The same Sorcha and Doras types go ape sh1t over minor issues in a crèche (and more power to em)

yet willingly expose their small children to multiple serious risks at festivals. Why ?

This has been marketed as a family friendly festival from the very start.

If you and your mates want to come and take drugs at a family festival that's your choice.

But you can't complain about the kids being there.

I would agree with you completely about clubs/pubs etc but the family aspect of this has been a part of it for a long time with specific areas and acts dedicated to that demographic.

Just for the record, I don't have kids. Myself and my friends were there on a similar buzz to yourself. But I wouldn't be as self centered to criticise kids for running around crying, or to think that a festival is just a place for me to drink and take drugs.

I saw alot of really happy kids dancing and having a great time over the weekends and it put a smile on my face.

SteM wrote: »
    'imposing their kids', what a load of BS. Just don't interact with them, the kids don't give a crap about a bunch of strange adults behaving like children believe me.

Yet the kids run riot everywhere screaming and shouting and bawling crying.

Don’t need that.

Just accept you would be better off in a playgroup or crèche with them not in the middle of a field at a festival with loads of ppl tanked up and off their heads.

Multiple risks exist yet ppl INSIST on bringing their children to non child friendly situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah that's what I had spotted by showers too. As someone else said maybe recycling was contaminated which was highly likely but still..

Don’t need that.

Just accept you would be better off in a playgroup or crèche with them not in the middle of a field at a festival with loads of ppl tanked up and off their heads.

Multiple risks exist yet ppl INSIST on bringing their children to non child friendly situations.

Run riot, ha you're some drama queen. More adults that can't handle their 'fun' get sick and injured at these weekends than kids do.

Do what you want and let others get on with their lives, especially at a family friendly festival.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Ehh; bollocks. Loss of enjoyment is a personal injury claim.

An inability to participate in a paid for event falls under that heading. Historical attendance or enjoyment by the litigator would ensure a positive response from the court.

Any parent telling the court they needed to turn back (as attendees reported doing online) after spending hours in the car with kids (and without updated information from organisers or Gardai) would be looked at very sympathetically by the courts. POD's lawyers would likely refund their tickets to avoid this.

Don’t need that.

What are you talking about.

There is pumping dance music from every corner of the place. There are adults screaming and roaring all night long at the stages, and the campsite. It's a music festival.

"The kids run riot everywhere"

Haha I did notice guards struggling to contain roaming bands of aggressive children alright. Very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Don’t need that.

Family friendly = child friendly!

You must be trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

An inability to participate in a paid for event falls under that heading.

No it doesn’t. Stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I was gonna hold off posting anything up but anyway.

Looking at the backlash on social media and the reaction from some people, id say half of them id wish would never comeback to the festival again anyway.

The toilet situation was ok, bog roll always runs out. They always get too full and unclean at somepoint but you cannot access the main area to clean them until people are outta there thats a good 14-16 hours of without maintenance. Have these moaners every been to a festival before?

The other thing that really annoyed me was throwing the john reynolds card back at POD. These people were firing really harsh words bringing up a deceased boss of theirs, it was really unfair potentially very upsetting for organisers who were already having a really tough day.

As for the traffic, we have no ideas what happened behind the scenes before the event and discussion and planning with the councils and guards. But the closing off of portlaw was a key factor, it was obvious that there was going to be more disruption but i think no one appreciated the level it would be.

That said POD have to hold their hands up regarding inside the site regarding parking etc.
    Outside the site? well the guidance did have the Guards names on it didnt it? none around, its not enough on their part to said "well ye shouldnt have driven through Carrick etc." my understanding of it is that the guards stipulate how many they need and the promotor reimburses them, again we have no idea what happened behind the scenes here.

Theres probably some meeting this week to discuss the fallout and everyone will point the finger at each other, but the guards and council wont give a ****, they ll happilly pull the plug on something like this as they have relatively little to gain from it.

The campsite and parking situation very solvable for next year. The traffic situation i dont know, think with all best efforts more signage, guards waving etc ye could still talking potentially still up to 2hrs waiting to get in. But I am relatively ok with that. There is a science to traffic flows and theres plenty engineers that will set up a model to figure out the best way to do this.

Anyway it reminds of a story about what Eddie O Sullivan said to someone (cant remember) at a function once while eating pizza "You know what, Pizza is a bit like sex when its good its great!! and when its bad its still great". Thats how i found ATN this year and i got no hole or pizza :P

Looking forward to the ATN2020 thread.

Hopefully the fairweather punters, the moaners and the child bashers fvck right off to After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

lbj666 wrote: »

Looking at the backlash on social media and the reaction from some people, id say half of them id wish would never comeback to the festival again anyway.

The toilet situation was ok, bog roll always runs out. They always get too full and unclean at somepoint but you cannot access the main area to clean them until people are outta there thats a good 14-16 hours of without maintenance. Have these moaners every been to a festival before?

The other thing that really annoyed me was throwing the john reynolds card back at POD. These people were firing really harsh words bringing up a deceased boss of theirs, it was really unfair potentially very upsetting for organisers who were already having a really tough day.

As for the traffic, we have no ideas what happened behind the scenes before the event and discussion and planning with the councils and guards. But the closing off of portlaw was a key factor, it was obvious that there was going to be more disruption but i think no one appreciated the level it would be.

That said POD have to hold their hands up regarding inside the site regarding parking etc.
    Outside the site? well the guidance did have the Guards names on it didnt it? none around, its not enough on their part to said "well ye shouldnt have driven through Carrick etc." my understanding of it is that the guards stipulate how many they need and the promotor reimburses them, again we have no idea what happened behind the scenes here.

Theres probably some meeting this week to discuss the fallout and everyone will point the finger at each other, but the guards and council wont give a ****, they ll happilly pull the plug on something like this as they have relatively little to gain from it.

The campsite and parking situation very solvable for next year. The traffic situation i dont know, think with all best efforts more signage, guards waving etc ye could still talking potentially still up to 2hrs waiting to get in. But I am relatively ok with that. There is a science to traffic flows and theres plenty engineers that will set up a model to figure out the best way to do this.

Anyway it reminds of a story about what Eddie O Sullivan said to someone (cant remember) at a function once while eating pizza "You know what, Pizza is a bit like sex when its good its great!! and when its bad its still great". Thats how i found ATN this year and i got no hole or pizza :P

Sorry but that’s dung about only being able to clean the toilets at festivals after everyone’s left. I was at rock werchter this summer and the jacks were constantly being cleaned through the day, I never once went into a manky portaloo with no bog roll over the 4 days.

We mustn’t have the quality of toilet cleaners in Ireland as they do in Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Reggie noble

lbj666 wrote: »

The rest of your points are fair enough ðŸ‘

Sorry I've been away so long, I had a lovely half week and weekend, I ended up putting phone on flight mode as the boards group on Whatsapp was constantly pinging and was away too busy for me. I was working in the camper van and caravan area and Friday was the most stressful day.

I met Pablo and he gave me a coffee which I gladly took.

Was nice to bump into you at last bd. I think we have been to the same festivals about 20 times and this is the first time we met up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I've seen portaloos being cleaned at other Irish festivals during the day. You just need an access road behind the toilets, open the fence, bring the truck out, and close off the toilets to people for 30mins.

I never encountered any manky portaloos all weekend at ATN, between either campsite or arena. Every one I used was fine to use/flush and relatively clean. Only once was there no toilet paper, so I used my own. Never had to queue either.

Advertisement