Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

mojesius wrote: »
    Also, a big thank you to whoever posted the tip about putting frozen Capri suns in the cooler. They definitely kept beer colder for longer and were a god send every morning after a heavy night. Stayed cool right until the Monday!

Still scared to leave the house this morning... :D

You're welcome! They're a godsend!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

lustra wrote: »
    i'm not being sensationalist here and I know its anecdotal what im relaying back to everyone but it upset me.
    These two lads were from india and Uganda and obviously took the jobs to make some money and were truly exploited over the course of the week. They were coerced into staying on site when others had made a run for it before the festival even started.

And by the way that explains a lot of short comings at the festival: they told me that 500 stewards were expected to turn up before it started and only 260 actually did. Of those 260 many left before it started because conditions were so poor for them

Well I was volunteering at this and it certainly wasn't my crowd employing these guys, we basically done 24 hours split into 2 shifts for the cloth wristband. There are many different departments that was working at the festival site, did the fellahs you were talking to have 1 Plus Security uniforms on, they were the main security company working at the festival, I was working as a general steward for POD themselves.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

sporina wrote: »
    I stayed with local friends and story is apparently that last year.. portlaw GAA grounds were used for the shuttles.. local stewards were used around the area (town/roads/entrances-exits).. and Gardai..

However this year... none of the above happened as bills were not paid last year..

There were the few odd locals who gave out about the congestion last yr but they were in the minority..

Business owners in Portlaw and locals who wanted to attend the festival were raging (lack of business and lack of transport to/from festival)..

Local taxi service did get a permit in the end but only to run privately..

But all in all - hence the lack of accessible roads (no cops to man them).. v few stewards (and those who were there were not local and didn't know the area)..

And first hand - I saw a cop holding a sign saying "blue entrance"..

Now thats Father Ted stuff,,,

I had the an ammmmmazing weekend - but my circumstances were not the norm... (but regardless of my circumstances, the line up had my name all over it - wudda have had to split myself into 3 to do all i wanted to do).. but my heart goes out to all who sat in traffic in heat, pulled luggage up a bumpy dirt road etc..

(I do have minor cons but they are for another post - perhaps - still on a high here lol )..

But POD pay your bills and all should be ok next year.. (for everyone)

How does one not pay their bills and put on an identical festival the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

lustra wrote: »
    i'm not being sensationalist here and I know its anecdotal what im relaying back to everyone but it upset me.
    These two lads were from india and Uganda and obviously took the jobs to make some money and were truly exploited over the course of the week. They were coerced into staying on site when others had made a run for it before the festival even started.

And by the way that explains a lot of short comings at the festival: they told me that 500 stewards were expected to turn up before it started and only 260 actually did. Of those 260 many left before it started because conditions were so poor for them
    You chould have interviewed them for Waterford Whispers.
    I just remembered I took a video of that light thing in the woods:
    https://streamable.com/ik23m
    I bought one of those a while ago, came with a nylon rope.. You can change the picture on it and swing it around your head or like a windmill.
    Can get use them on bike wheels. Programmable LED light strips.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/10095986/Cycle-lights-go-high-tech-with-animated-wheel-graphics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lustra

Well I was volunteering at this and it certainly wasn't my crowd employing these guys, we basically done 24 hours split into 2 shifts for the cloth wristband. There are many different departments that was working at the festival site, did the fellahs you were talking to have 1 Plus Security uniforms on, they were the main security company working at the festival, I was working as a general steward for POD themselves.

i'm not too sure to be honest. but I got the impression they were working for a sub contractor. Maybe I should of extracted more details from them before I dropped them at the station. But they repeated to me several times that they were compelled into working 16 hour shifts everyday on site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

How does one not pay their bills and put on an identical festival the following year

i won't say anymore.. defamation etc.. just saying what i heard (from locals)

My first two clips at the festival.

Chimes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Most of the good stuff at EP this year has played numerous times in the last few years. I like a lot of the acts but I've seen them plenty. EP has just 3 or 4 must see acts for me personally and one of them is the Bunnymen.

I don't recall Mr. Motivator playing recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Look, I'm just talking about my musical experience at each. For 165 yoyos at EP, I'm getting 3 solid days of great music. I'm paying 30 quid extra at ATN and dealing with plenty of gaps. I'm not slagging ATN off, far from it. I've had 2 great years there and seen lots of good gigs. The good the Bad and the Queen were, I think the best festival gig of my life. However, I'm at EP on my own and I'd spend a Saturday shuffling from the Skatellites at 11 in the morning at the Salty Dog from one gig to the next pretty much all day until 2 in the morning. There's ALWAYS something to see. If I was at the same craic at ATN, I'd struggle to fill my day. Different festivals, room for both, just talking about my experience.

Electric Picnic is 270 euro after booking fees, and it has a capacity of nearly 60k, for the money generated from both festivals, the ATN lineup has for outperformed what's expected if we're using ep as the benchmark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

EP is €165 if you have been more than three times and get it on the early bird.
    ATN were lucky if they made a profit.
    https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/3517518/vince-power-john-reynolds-cool-down-final-chat/

While filming Angie McMahon I had to dodge this fellah's head, he was sorta moving back and forth, so you can see the camera move to the space left. Funny now when I look back on it.

You can hear on this clip the crowd sheltering from the rain who have no interest in the act hence my argument that they should have had a few covered chill out areas in the vast spaces between the marquees as it was quite wet if you got caught out in the downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nicnod

Hey nicnod someone commented on one of the atn posts on facebook that they found a females bag in a ditch at the campsite and were wondering where they could return it to. Sorry I'm only seeing this now. The post was a reply to one of the atn posts from monday gone. If u go thru the comments you might find the original post and poster.
    Thanks, unfortunately that Facebook post wasn't my stuff but hopefully it ends up being returned to somebody else in a similar situation, thanks for your help and for all suggestions made on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I don't recall Mr. Motivator playing recently.

He was at EP about 4 years ago.
    EP for me is a case of been there, done that. I've been to about 10 EPs since 2005. It was great early days but now it sells out without even a lineup being mentioned. It just goes to show that the crowd going now aren't interested in the line up, it's just a location to get their instagram snaps. ATN is definitely for the more discerning festival fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Electric Picnic is 270 euro after booking fees, and it has a capacity of nearly 60k, for the money generated from both festivals, the ATN lineup has for outperformed what's expected if we're using ep as the benchmark

After loyalty bonus and early bird, I'm paying 165 for Ep hor the last several years. Again, I've really enjoyed both ATNs. I'm comparing both from a completely subjective viewpoint (as we all do when we're there). I personally got more out of EP musically last year and feel I will again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

By subcontracting out portions of the work. e.g. an organiser pays someone to supply and install all the lighting, that someone then hires people to carry out the work but doesn't pay them. Result being that the organiser then gets a bad name for not paying staff.

It happened to me years ago. A friend of a friend asked me if I wanted to do security for a gig in Smithfield. I had no plans so I said yeah. It was the Manic Street Preachers. I never got paid for it, but in fairness I didn’t really mind because for some reason they had me up on the crush barrier just to the left of the stage. So apart from handing out water to people I got to see a gig for free in a great spot. 16 hours shifts in a field is a different level though!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

Unfortunately, a lot of people who were in the horrendous festival traffic and who were actually destined in for the Red Gate, found themselves in the queue for the Blue Gate coming out of Carrick, which then eventually served the Red Gate also via the R677. The wrong way to do it, which is quite obvious looking at a map. Still the organisers should have had the signs.

We didn't find ourselves in it, we were directed into it by the one Garda we saw during the entire fiasco. We left Dublin at 11.45am and got into our tent at 10.30pm. The car behind us had 3 girls who left Waterford city at 1.30pm.

Overall experience - not a patch on last year and I don't think I'd be in a rush to go back. It felt like the organisers upped the number of tickets but did nothing to increase the facilities in the place. We were in the PodPads and the place was a mess. There was no point in paying the extra money.

The crowd was very different to last year and there was a definite increase in the number of scrotes about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The crowd was very different to last year and there was a definite increase in the number of scrotes about the place.

Deffo !.

I heard about money being promised to local gaa clubs to steward last year , but monies were never paid, so those gaa clubs refused to help out this year.

Werent we also talking about bands not being paid after last years ATN was over also?

Its a shame , because, I think they will just increase the capacity again next year to increase revenue -> turn into HeadTheBall fest then.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

greenspurs wrote: »
    Werent we also talking about bands not being paid after last years ATN was over also?

There was an Irish band who took to twitter over being paid alright. Think they got sorted in the end!
    Its a shame , because, I think they will just increase the capacity again next year to increase revenue -> turn into HeadTheBall fest then.

The real shame would be if music festivals became a thing of the past or limited to the big ones like EP, Glastonbury, Coachella etc because from my admittedly limited knowledge of these things, they seem to be very high risk, high expense and its hard to see how people can make them work

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Theres plenty of small festivals around the country all summer. Arcadian fields and indiependence were both on during ATN weekend if you were looking for a more intimate experience (Arcadian Fields is awesome if your looking for a more Knockanstockan vibe)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭sporina

While filming Angie McMahon I had to dodge this fellah's head, he was sorta moving back and forth, so you can see the camera move to the space left. Funny now when I look back on it.

You can hear on this clip the crowd sheltering from the rain who have no interest in the act hence my argument that they should have had a few covered chill out areas in the vast spaces between the marquees as it was quite wet if you got caught out in the downpours.

Speaking of Angie, did you hear the comment she made to the guy in the bear suit "you must be an attention seeker"..? Well I was standing beside him and he was nooooot impressed... him and his mates didn't take it well at all; turned on their heels and walked out..

And from my perspective, I was really looking forward to her, but she wrrrrrrecked my head... i stayed on but only cos I had arranged to meet others there and it was raining..

Lisa Hannigan is FANTASTIC but OMG the sound was atrocious at that gig.. suuuch a pity... such amazing instruments on stage - but could barely hear any of them...

In general, the sound in that tent (something kinda wonderful?) over the weekend was v poor in my experiences.. Neneh and Olarfur.. but with the exception of Kiasmos and Jon Hopkins.. twas class for them (don't know about other gigs)..

Sound was v good in road to Nowhere.. Bedouine was class..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Speaking of Angie, did you hear the comment she made to the guy in the bear suit "you must be an attention seeker"..? Well I was standing beside him and he was nooooot impressed... him and his mates didn't take it well at all; turned on their heels and walked out..

:pac::pac: Me and my friends did a good bit of laughing at that. He must have walked out within seconds of her saying that! Wouldn't have thought there was a need for him to take it badly I thought it was just a bit of a laugh.

And from my perspective, I was really looking forward to her, but she wrrrrrrecked my head... i stayed on but only cos I had arranged to meet others there and it was raining..

Lisa Hannigan is FANTASTIC but OMG the sound was atrocious at that gig.. suuuch a pity... such amazing instruments on stage - but could barely hear any of them...

In general, the sound in that tent (something kinda wonderful?) over the weekend was v poor in my experiences.. Neneh and Olarfur.. but with the exception of Kiasmos and Jon Hopkins.. twas class for them (don't know about other gigs)..

Sound was v good in road to Nowhere.. Bedouine was class..

I would've just laughed that off and retorted. 'Its a festival love, anything goes'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PawneeRanger

T
    The real shame would be if music festivals became a thing of the past or limited to the big ones like EP, Glastonbury, Coachella etc because from my admittedly limited knowledge of these things, they seem to be very high risk, high expense and its hard to see how people can make them work

Of course.

But one thing I have heard most consistently over the weekend is "it's a new festival". We had none of these issues last year. Of course, it's not going to be the same type of crowd/vibe each year, but this year was a clusterfúck and it really does appear that numbers were increased too much with no additional resources or facilities put in place.

I hope they can work it out, but for me, I don't think I'll be back.
    The line up this year was nowhere near good enough to make up for all the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Suckit wrote: »

I bought one of those a while ago, came with a nylon rope.. You can change the picture on it and swing it around your head or like a windmill.
    Can get use them on bike wheels. Programmable LED light strips.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/technology-video/10095986/Cycle-lights-go-high-tech-with-animated-wheel-graphics.html

Ah, I could see how the idea could come from wheels, and then get to an installation like that.

There's small Irish festival that's been doing that for years, either changing location or changing name every couple of years, not paying headliners and more. News can be slow to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Theres plenty of small festivals around the country all summer. Arcadian fields and indiependence were both on during ATN weekend if you were looking for a more intimate experience (Arcadian Fields is awesome if your looking for a more Knockanstockan vibe)

Not sure I'd call Indiependence intimate..!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

Eod100 wrote: »
    Not sure I'd call Indiependence intimate..!

And it is full of teenagers.

Or the 16 to 24 age bracket at least

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

I've written to them with feedback, I think it's a good idea if everyone on here does the same. If enough people give constructive feedback they will have to listen. Word of mouth is a strong promotional tool in this country and they will be aware of this especially with the demographic they are chasing

Hello@alltogethernow.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Ah, I could see how the idea could come from wheels, and then get to an installation like that.

There's small Irish festival that's been doing that for years, either changing location or changing name every couple of years, not paying headliners and more.

Theres 15k punters at indie, I know one of the guys who runs it and its targeted purely at the 18 to 21 demographic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

And it is full of teenagers.

Or the 16 to 24 age bracket at least

Ah yeah, ATN is nominally 21 and over. It generally does seem like an older festival which is good I think. Not in an old fogey way just in the different experiences kinda way. Sure most people graduated from other festivals so kinda a festival rite of passage

Advertisement