Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

It's just smoke and mirrors imo. Marketing.

You'll get another release closer to time.

But if they've truly sold out then it's a great feat. :)

There's a lot of other events on over the summer. Why would they hold back sales? Someone might go elsewhere

Balls. Didn't get a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

There's a lot of other events on over the summer. Why would they hold back sales? Someone might go elsewhere

Could be tickets coming back with installment plans failing for instance. But yeah get your point too. Could be calculated risk on their part. If they want til July say most other festivals will have taken place so anyone that was keen would snap up last tickets. I'd be a bit surprised if no tickets go back on sale one way or the other!

Eod100 wrote: »
    Could be tickets coming back with installment plans failing for instance. But yeah get your point too. Could be calculated risk on their part. If they want til July say most other festivals will have taken place so anyone that was keen would snap up last tickets. I'd be a bit surprised if no tickets go back on sale one way or the other!

Totally understand tickets being returned on installment plans or production held tickets but I couldn't understand them holding, say, 2k tickets off sale just to create a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Why do EP do this, why did ATN do this last year, why did Mad cool, Nos Alive etc etc do this?

Answer is I don't really know to be honest, other that they do and I can only imagine it's to build hype for the next years installment of the festival in a bid to drive sales, often at a higher pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Why do EP do this, why did ATN do this last year, why did Mad cool, Nos Alive etc etc do this?

Answer is I don't really know to be honest, other that they do and I can only imagine it's to build hype for the next years installment of the festival in a bid to drive sales, often at a higher pricing.
    don't think either EP or ATN announced that they were sold out and then officially released more GA tickets?
    EP did the usual small giveaway for 3 customers but not really an actual general release. ATN didn't announce that they were sold out until the weekend itself.

People are increasingly saying on threads here that sold out events aren't actually sold out and more tickets will be released, but that rarely actually happens.
    small numbers of tickets from promotional partners/corporate freebies/production or artist hold might get returned, or cancelled tickets/invalid cards, but they generally get put back onsale with no advertisement.
    You get some badly-selling big gigs announcing "extra tickets onsale" all ove the TV/radio sometimes, but they haven't been advertised as sold out in the first place.

If ATN are announcing that this is sold out, then I'd be pretty sure that all allocated for general public are now gone.

don't think either EP or ATN announced that they were sold out and then officially released more GA tickets?
    EP did the usual small giveaway for 3 customers but not really an actual general release. ATN didn't announce that they were sold out until the weekend itself.

People are increasingly saying on threads here that sold out events aren't actually sold out and more tickets will be released, but that rarely actually happens.
    small numbers of tickets from promotional partners/corporate freebies/production or artist hold might get returned, or cancelled tickets/invalid cards, but they generally get put back onsale with no advertisement.
    You get some badly-selling big gigs announcing "extra tickets onsale" all ove the TV/radio sometimes, but they haven't been advertised as sold out in the first place.

If ATN are announcing that this is sold out, then I'd be pretty sure that all allocated for general public are now gone.

OP was asking why hold back sales,

EP holds back sales, they go on sale initially for a first run loyalty and installment. Go off sale and then come back on sale which results in a sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

EP holds back sales, they go on sale initially for a first run loyalty and installment. Go off sale and then come back on sale which results in a sell out.
    not really the same thing though, ATN have announced it's sold out. EP doesn't announce that it's sold out before putting tickets on sale again in March.

you said:
    It's just smoke and mirrors imo. Marketing.

You'll get another release closer to time.

But if they've truly sold out then it's a great feat. :)

as people often say in threads on here when a high profile event sells out, but another release, at least officially acknowledged, pretty much never happens.

Some tickets may go back on ticketmaster in drips and drabs from cancelled/refunded/corporate returns etc, but there probably won't be another release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I wonder will they say something like "Due to phenomenal demand we've increased capacity" and then release more tickets....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I wonder will they say something like "Due to phenomenal demand we've increased capacity" and then release more tickets....

They would need to reapply for the licence to do that though.

Seems to me that a lot here don't believe that this is actually sold out. I would say that anyone that went last year wouldn't be that surprised that it has done so. For me last year's event was probably the best festival of the season, if not several season's. I enjoyed it much more than EP and B&S the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They'll have to apply for an event licence 'at least 16 weeks' before the event so we'll know the max capacity within the next six weeks at the absolute latest.

There has been a real trend on this forum in the last few months of people just refusing to believe that an event is sold out or selling well when a promoter says so. It's always just PR.

It makes no difference to me what people think but I wouldn't want to think that someone who missed out on a ticket is sitting here thinking that they'll definitely get another shot at a general sale. Nobody on here knows that for sure.

I'd say there'll be a few dozen tickets turning up between now and August but there won't be another general sale. Anyone who manages to get one from Ticketmaster between now and then is in a minority and the bulk of people who don't currently have a ticket and wants one will have better luck on Toutless.

not really the same thing though, ATN have announced it's sold out. EP doesn't announce that it's sold out before putting tickets on sale again in March.

you said:

as people often say in threads on here when a high profile event sells out, but another release, at least officially acknowledged, pretty much never happens.

Some tickets may go back on ticketmaster in drips and drabs from cancelled/refunded/corporate returns etc, but there probably won't be another release.

OK to clarify EP stalling/delaying a continuation of selling tickets is by definition holding back sales.

Op was asking why would festivals hold back tickets when peoples attention may go elsewhere.

I said I don't know but gave my two cence on why I thought hold backs were a thing. Marketing and hype.

Getting back to ATN I still think there will be a general sale at a later point despite tagging themselves as sold out. Somehow tied into the next announcement or a announcement during end june/July.

But if I'm wrong I'm wrong. Have no problem saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭beecee

OK to clarify EP stalling/delaying a continuation of selling tickets is by definition holding back sales.

Op was asking why would festivals hold back tickets when peoples attention may go elsewhere.

That wasn't what they actually asked though:
    Would festivals usually release more tickets if they sell out? What's the point in saying it's a sell out if so.

Anyway, no matter. I would agree with ghostdancer. Can't see there being another general sale other than the usual cancellations, etc., but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I said I don't know but gave my two cence on why I thought hold backs were a thing. Marketing and hype.

Getting back to ATN I still think there will be a general sale at a later point despite tagging themselves as sold out. Somehow tied into the next announcement or a announcement during end june/July.

But if I'm wrong I'm wrong. Have no problem saying that.

I think the two tactics are different though.

For EP (and Primavera, Mad Cool, etc), it is a well-established norm for those fests - a portion of tickets go on sale soon after the event finishes and when that allocation sells out, they say "the first lot is sold out, they're back on sale on x date." Second lot goes on sale and when they're gone, they're gone... (Bar sponsor/promo tie-ins and returns/card fails, etc)

For ATN, I don't think there's any real benefit to saying "we're totally sold out, see you in August!" and keeping back a sizable allocation of tix because a lot of people will just buy something else. That weekend alone, you've got Indiependence and Beatyard and that's before even factoring in all the other things people could opt for on an August bank holiday weekend.

beecee wrote: »
    That wasn't what they actually asked though:

Anyway, no matter. I would agree with ghostdancer. Can't see there being another general sale other than the usual cancellations, etc., but we'll see.

Danger fourpence post.

I say this is one to watch.

I'm sure we'll pick it up again closer to the time.

Enjoy your pancakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Really happy to see that this has sold out! Hopefully it means we can expect similar quality lineups in future

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

A great festival last year winning festival of the year and a strong lineup this year has led to this. Its great news

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Really happy to see that this has sold out! Hopefully it means we can expect similar quality lineups in future

Hopefully, but also hopefully it wont become like EP where in order to secure a ticket youve to get straight in on the phone.

Im too old to be booking tickets under pressure. At 9am I cant think of buying tickets for a future festival, I can barely think beyond my next coffee cup!

That’s not what is being discussed. EP don’t announce they are sold out and then announce more going on sale a few months later. Production holds maybe but not to the extent you’re suggesting.

• Advertisement

That’s not what is being discussed. EP don’t announce they are sold out and then announce more going on sale a few months later. Production holds maybe but not to the extent you’re suggesting.

I thought production holds usually apply more to indoor gigs? Would they come into play for outdoor festival when stage and production is surely more or less same for all acts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Great to see that it's Sold Out. Fair play to them.

Hopefully we get a lot more interesting announcements! Looking forward to them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I’d say the will increase the capacity. They’ll be plenty more tickets released before the end of the summer..
    It’s a little bit worrying that they sold out so early puts zero pressure on the organisers to put money in to the line up.

Eod100 wrote: »
    I thought production holds usually apply more to indoor gigs? Would they come into play for outdoor festival when stage and production is surely more or less same for all acts?

"Production holds" is only a term for extra tickets. The production holds for indoor gigs apply to unused guest list etc. Really you're only talking about handfuls of tickets rather than the festival going back on sale completely.

There might be a situation where the festival applies for a license for 10k capacity, sells all their tickets and then re-applies for 12k capacity, but since event licenses aren't granted until close to the date they could just sell the 12k anyway rather than holding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I’d say the will increase the capacity. They’ll be plenty more tickets released before the end of the summer..
    It’s a little bit worrying that they sold out so early puts zero pressure on the organisers to put money in to the line up.

To be honest I would have thought the same but the picnic for example I though we're gonna rest on their laurels but added big names very late last year when they didn't need too. But what it does is boost early bird sales for the following year.

Maintaining the quality of the line up leads to maintaining reputation, leads to big early tickets sales leads to better cash flow and organising the festival at less risk.

Bowlardo wrote: »

Don't really think so. Presume most of the acts are already booked by now. Probably made bookings on assumption that they would sell most if not all tickets so not sure it makes a huge difference tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

i note that the national are playing the sunday night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

roll wrote: »
    i note that the national are playing the sunday night.....

:cool:

I was just going through their setlists...
    Janey they really do mix it up from gig to gig!
    REALLY looking forward to seeing them ! :pac:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Could never really get into the National, and not for the want of trying.

Sounds like they've been making the same album for a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Could never really get into the National, and not for the want of trying.

Sounds like they've been making the same album for a decade.

I know what you mean. It's a good album though.

Advertisement