Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The Irish Fyre of 2019......this is twice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Hoboo wrote: »

Twice?

Didn't seem that bad last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

bizarre comment..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭El Director

Anyway...everything is going to be alright...right guys? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Irish Fyre of 2019.......

tayto-sandwich.jpg

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Anyway...everything is going to be alright...right guys? :o

Depends.. this is my take from what i've seen read before in previous fests.

Each band deal is different

Your bigger artists may get paid 50% up front with the remaining amount paid post gig.

Smaller artists may only get paid weeks/months after a fest (see ATN 2018, where they were named and shamed by a collection of mainly Irish smaller bands)

If the agent were reading an article about a fests finances in a bad light they may decide to ask for the full amount up front (see Woodstock 2019)

Lots of the bigger bands then asking for their fees up front may not be possible and put the fest under financial strain.

Now lets say one of the acts pulls out because their request for upfront payment is denied e.g. the National, Father John Misty.

This could cause a ripple effect which causes uncertainty in other bands who then follow suit.

It's a real tricky balancing act.

But ATN will be fine, it's sold out.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Fyre was an entrepreneur trying to set up a music festival without knowing much about the business; he spent too much on social media marketing, didn't properly book the bands, played fast and loose with the location, forcing him to cancel it and didn't put enough work into the accommodation and food to make it work. At a certain point he should have cancelled for that year and put it back to the following year, but he didn't and now he's being charged with fraud.

POD are a professional events company that have been trading successfully for over twenty years in Ireland. They have successfully set up electric picnic and have been generally successful. Of late, they have put a lot of money into setting up a new music festival and have experienced (one infers) declining sales for their other two events, metropolis and forbidden fruit. Like with many companies involved in business as risk as the music industry, they will have very profitable years and make significant losses in other years.

ATN is by all accounts a very well organised and well set up festival. There is no reason to believe that they haven't organised this year's festival with the same level of care as last years'.

It is unclear what you mean by "this is twice now".

I suspect you are not going to elaborate on what exactly you meant, but I thought your points should be refuted in any event!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Fyre was an entrepreneur trying to set up a music festival without knowing much about the business; he spent too much on social media marketing, didn't properly book the bands, played fast and loose with the location, forcing him to cancel it and didn't put enough work into the accommodation and food to make it work. At a certain point he should have cancelled for that year and put it back to the following year, but he didn't and now he's being charged with fraud.

POD are a professional events company that have been trading successfully for over twenty years in Ireland. They have successfully set up electric picnic and have been generally successful. Of late, they have put a lot of money into setting up a new music festival and have experienced (one infers) declining sales for their other two events, metropolis and forbidden fruit. Like with many companies involved in business as risk as the music industry, they will have very profitable years and make significant losses in other years.

ATN is by all accounts a very well organised and well set up festival. There is no reason to believe that they haven't organised this year's festival with the same level of care as last years'.

It is unclear what you mean by "this is twice now".

I suspect you are not going to elaborate on what exactly you meant, but I thought your points should be refuted in any event!

I could have sworn they went in to liquidation in 2009, defaulting on a 750k tax bill. Or maybe that was a different POD owned by John Reynolds?

Thats what I meant by 'this is twice now'. Or potentially twice. They're up to their ears in debt and although things look good from the outside, they aren't.

As one of his friends said after he died, he'll turn in his grave if ATN makes a profit.

(I know what Fyre is/was btw - I was referring to corners being cut, not ATN being a fraudulant disaster)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jesus this is miserable talk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭endainoz

They'll be fine, ATN will have itself firmly established as the second big festival of the year and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

An entrepreneur?!! That's generous. He is and was a fraud - hence where he's ended up. He had no interest in anything except a con job. He's a bum who was only interested in swindling as many people as possible while swanning around the Caribbean in a yacht.

Put it back the following year?!! Like the only issue was he ran out of time...?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bananas

Does anyone know how easy / difficult it is to get accomadation near the festival? And how easy / difficult it would be to travel to and from? ��

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alexmcquaid

Sing Along Social are self confirmed for the weekend. I have a vague memory of doing Irish Dancing while they blasted Riverdance last year, a good addition to liven the place up.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I would expect announcements to come end of next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Stillill42

bananas wrote: »
    Does anyone know how easy / difficult it is to get accomadation near the festival? And how easy / difficult it would be to travel to and from? ��

Myself and the wife got an air bnb about 10 miles away. Very little around Portlaw and it was all snapped up pretty sharpish. I found a local taxi guy with the help of a fellow boardsie living around there (shout out to Greenspurs) and he was brilliant, dropped us in and out at all hours. I know lots of people weren't so lucky. They have, I think, acknowledged the problem of getting off site at night and promised to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

I was holding off on booking a podpad getting the money together. Now they're sold out. If anyone knows of any cancellations etc, drop me a pm. Please and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

pah wrote: »
    I was holding off on booking a podpad getting the money together. Now they're sold out. If anyone knows of any cancellations etc, drop me a pm. Please and thanks

Worth remembering for next year but you can pay them in installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Worth remembering for next year but you can pay them in installments.

Thanks, I hadn't realised until I saw another post about it here in the last day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Soda Blonde are a cert i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

miller82 wrote: »
    Soda Blonde are a cert i reckon.
    Given the Little Green Cars shaped hole.. yeah, I'd say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Final Instalment paid yesterday, see you all in waterford!

Hoping for some of FF acts to eb added now. Kojaque pls

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Did someone say there was an announcement this week? Or did I imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭endainoz

Eod100 wrote:

Didn't hear anything, but really want to believe you. Anyone else getting slightly obsessed with Dogrel? Can't stop listening to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Eod100 wrote: »

Yup, Sally Cinnamon mentioned something alright.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110339035&postcount=1396

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yup, Sally Cinnamon mentioned something alright.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110339035&postcount=1396

Ah cheers. Was right above my post but hadn't spotted it, d'oh! Just over 8 weeks to go so hopefully will get a 2nd last or last announcement over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Coz

Eod100 wrote:

6 or 7 days ago ATN replied to a comment on their Facebook page saying there would be an announcement in the next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Damn it I thought the last installment had been paid and now this!!

Ah well - here's hoping for some announcements in the next week or so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Damn it I thought the last installment had been paid and now this!!

Ah well - here's hoping for some announcements in the next week or so

They haven't taken my last installment yet. Maybe they are waiting for all the installments to have finished, before making the announcement.

Just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

They took my last instalment the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yeah I saw a few had been taken. Maybe better ring them to take my money.. :)

Advertisement