Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum - Appeal against thread ban - Manchester United Superthread

Options
  • 28-08-2018 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Error, apologies. Can someone help? I am trying to post an appeal but the system won’t allow me to create a thread? Thank you.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Error, apologies. Can someone help? I am trying to post an appeal but the system won’t allow me to create a thread? Thank you.

I have moved your post into its own thread. I am not aware of any reason you would be unable to start the thread yourself.

Could you please reply indicating exactly what it is you are appealing, which forum it relates to and confirming whether you have attempted to resolve your dispute directly with the mod who sanctioned you. I will then update the thread title accordingly

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Thank you; an error message kept popping up saying “please try again”.

I wish to dispute a ban given by Turtwig from the Manchester United forum.

I did nothing wrong on the night in question (Monday). I have been accused of calling another poster a troll. I did not; I made a general statement that “Talk of Rodgers to United is largely trolling by Liverpool fans”. There is nothing wrong with that statement, it a generalisation about the wider world rather than a poster or posters and it is certainly not worthy of a permanent ban. Of the people I meet in the real world, the majority of the ones who pitch Rodgers are joking, that’s all I wad saying.

The moderation also seemed inconsistent; I was told to “f..k off you f...ing pesticide” or words to that effect which was upsetting. I have been “done” over a six month period once for saying there’s too much of a “snowflake” element in the thread and Monday night. It does not seem proportionate.

It also seems worrying that moderators are dishing out what seem to be informal and disproportionate bans for minor things. It can give rise to unfortunate consequences; an unfair ban is given and then the poster is nailed for “ignoring a moderator”. It simply isn’t fair.

I have attempted to appeal with the moderator but no joy.

The above is unfair; a perma ban (informal) for a comment re snowflakes and a general statement about people across the world (not just on Boards) LARGELY trolling (but not everyone). That is a world away from “you are a troll” and compared to “f..k you you pesticide” it’s pretty unfair.

My worry is that such unfair stuff within the Soccer threads is killing them.

Thank you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, this forum deals with appeals against cards or forum bans, and not thread bans. I shall move this over to the Help Desk and alert the Sports CMods to this thread

Thanks

Thank you

OK, I’ll actually step in as I’ve been looking at your posting in the Soccer forum since you gained access 7 months ago

During the past 2 months alone you have made 61 posts in the Manchester United Superthreads, and in doing so you have picked up 4 yellow cards plus a ban. Another ban was overturned in the DRP

Your first yellow was for calling fellow regulars in the thread “snowflakes” and the mod told you that making condescending remarks would only distance you and possibly agitate other posters

So your card was duly marked

Then a week later having been initially thread banned your retort to the mod in the thread was:
    “Sorry, who in God’s name do you think you are? I have been a member of this forum for years; I have done nothing to warrant a ban so good luck with that!”

Your red card was subsequently reduced to a yellow, basically giving you the benefit of any doubt. That resulted in the ban referred to above being overturned. I think you were very lucky to get that result

So on the same day you make further comments about moderation and attempted to mock the mod – another yellow duly followed.

More recently you start accusing Liverpool fans of trolling. Another yellow for backseat moderation, and the mod telling you that you had already received a lifeline from your prior threadban. The mod also told you that you were baiting other fans and told you not to post in the thread again.

To me this is very clear. You spend your time in that thread winding up other posters and have done that consistently. I can see plenty of evidence of that in posts of yours that have been reported by other users. TBH I think you can consider yourself fortunate that you are only banned from the thread.

I am certainly upholding that thread ban. What I suggest is you reconsider your approach to posting and perhaps approach the mod after a few months to ask if they will reconsider your thread-ban. If they agree I would expect it to be on condition that you steer clear of trouble in that thread for a significant time.

• Advertisement

I notice that you conveniently ignored what was said about people advocating Rodgers and conveniently ignored the fact that the moderator who issued the in-thread ban didn’t have “Moderator” under his/her name. Instead they had a “funny” message, so hardly unreasonable when one sees a post from a “randomer” to say “who are you?”.

Beasty, what’s the point when there are inaccuracies in what you’ve pointed out above?

Beasty, what’s the point when there are inaccuracies in what you’ve pointed out above?

What inaccuracies?

I notice that you conveniently ignored what was said about people advocating Rodgers and conveniently ignored the fact that the moderator who issued the in-thread ban didn’t have “Moderator” under his/her name. Instead they had a “funny” message, so hardly unreasonable when one sees a post from a “randomer” to say “who are you?”.
    You were issued a warning (yellow card) by the mod and in the message he told you not to post in the thread again

You had previously received another yellow card from the same mod

How can you possibly claim you did not know he was a mod?

When someone is a Moderator or an Administrator (like you), it says “Beasty” and then underneath that it says “Adminstrator”. The person who said “Do not post here again” had neither. He/she had some sort of supposedly funny message or tagline which made him/her appear to be a random punter. That shouldn’t be allowed. It’d be like you having something other than “Administrator” under your name and then banning someone for ignoring the instructions of an administrator.

• Advertisement

“More recently you start accusing Liverpool fans of trolling.”

Not true. I made a general statement not directed at anyone in particular in an effort to get the thread back on track.

When someone is a Moderator or an Administrator (like you), it says “Beasty” and then underneath that it says “Adminstrator”. The person who said “Do not post here again” had neither. He/she had some sort of supposedly funny message or tagline which made him/her appear to be a random punter. That shouldn’t be allowed. It’d be like you having something other than “Administrator” under your name and then banning someone for ignoring the instructions of an administrator.
    To be clear

The message instructing you not to post again in the thread was in the PM message you received advising you of an official warning (ie a yellow card).

You attempt to claim you did not know it was a mod is, frankly, absurd. You had received another yellow card from the same mod less than 2 months previously

I am seeing no reason to change the mod's decision here

Resolved

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement