Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric lunchboxes

• 29-08-2018 6:15am

Anyone else take their lunches to work in them? They heat up for 45mins to an hour so your food is nice and hot.

I swear I'm blowing minds since I've been back at work since no one has seen them before. Are they popular back home?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jacksie66 wrote: »
    What witchcraft do you speak of? I've never heard of this contraption..

The metal container inside is removable and under that is an element that heats up. It's nicer than a microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Looks like a portable slow cooker. I appreciate it'd heat food nicer but really couldn't be dealing with the faff assuming I had access to a microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

That would proper fcuk up my egg and mayo sandwiches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Looks like a portable slow cooker. I appreciate it'd heat food nicer but really couldn't be dealing with the faff assuming I had access to a microwave.

Faff? Plugging it in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Patww79 wrote: »
    Faff? Plugging it in?

Finding a plug, timing it so you can call back to staff room to plug it in 45 minutes earlier, and the follow up cleaning... (dried on reheated food not as easy as rinsing a cold food container)

In my situation anyway it would be hassle alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Faff? Plugging it in?

As above, carrying it too and from work (it looks a reasonable size), plugging in somewhere (in an office do you leave it in the kitchen or under your desk? Does the smell of your heating food waft out for 45 minutes annoying your workmates? Cleaning it.

I don't really see the benefits outweighing a reusable plastic container for me personally. If someone else gets value out of it then fair enough.

Yeah fair enough, I could see it annoying other people. I would be just plugging it into the inverter in the back of the van and letting it heat while I'm going along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

begbysback wrote: »
    That would proper fcuk up my egg and mayo sandwiches

Yeah fcuk that.

You are meant to heat them up in the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

NIMAN wrote: »

If I walked into work with that thing in the pic, the workmates would laugh and point at me and prob give me a wedgie.

I'm good with the Jacobs USA Biscuit tin with the rubber band around it to keep the lid on.

Proper old school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"whatever next!" as an old lady I knew used to say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

What's wrong with a microwave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

yeppydeppy wrote: »

Ooh, stab in the dark, but I'll take a wild guess that they're designed for tradesmen/drivers/people without access to a microwave.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Ooh, stab in the dark, but I'll take a wild guess that they're designed for tradesmen/drivers/people without access to a microwave.

I was wondering that too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Another issue maybe some people say they give you cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

As well as tradespeople etc, some offices don't allow microwaves, ovens, or anything of the sort so this is a handy workaround.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Excellent band.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

You just know that you'll have it plugged in at 12.15 in the canteen and salivating over the lovely lunch you'll have at 13.00 and then find out Derek the Office Wanker will have unplugged it at 12.20 to charge his phone as it was at 85% even though there were seven other sockets he could have used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I suppose everyone would get a few days off when this eBay special burns down the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Neyite wrote: »
    You just know that you'll have it plugged in at 12.15 in the canteen and salivating over the lovely lunch you'll have at 13.00 and then find out Derek the Office Wanker will have unplugged it at 12.20 to charge his phone as it was at 85% even though there were seven other sockets he could have used.

I was actually thinking off the guy who's unplug your phone to heat up his lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Health and Safety nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Excellent album.

I'd say it'd be handy if you're on the go... and can plug it in somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

What...but...I...nope.

People are stupid - that is all.

Mixed reception.. Not what I was expecting. Anyways I love mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Buy a flask. It keep hot things hot and cold things cold.

Mine has veg soup and a choc ice in it right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Sounds like a good idea in general. In my office we aren't allowed any unauthorised/untested devices that need to be plugged in though, and I would assume it's the same in many big offices. You certainly wouldn't be allowed to use this at your desk, probably not in the cafeteria either.

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    Buy a flask. It keep hot things hot and cold things cold.

Mine has veg soup and a choc ice in it right now!

I bring coffee from home as well. Love the old Moka pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is that the same Derek from Step Brothers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

This.

When I worked in the Benson & Hedges factory,Health and Safety banned microwaves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Excellent album.

I know, I bought a copy!

459755.jpg

topper75 wrote: »
    Is that the same Derek from Step Brothers?

Well, Stepbrother Derek was successful in his career so not really. Office Derek is mediocre.

Office Derek is the guy that uses the last printer cartridge and doesn't inform Supplies to reorder. Or uses all the milk on his cereal knowing that everyone is queueing up for their tea behind him. Office Derek never thinks about anyone but himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the picture suggests using it to bring stirfry/rice into work - this is a bad idea unless you have a fridge to keep it in as unchilled rice can make you very sick. If you have a fridge you probably have a microwave so I'm not sure how useful this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

The perfect gift for all your carribean friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

This.

When I worked in the Benson & Hedges factory,Health and Safety banned microwaves.

A cancer stick factory that banned a device due to unfounded cancer claims. Isn't that ironic.

Yeah, a lot of businesses will not allow you to plug in anything that does not have a (company certified) PAT sticker on it, signed and dated to the electrician.
    They must go ballistic with all the phone chargers around.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ok; does not ship to Ireland...

Everything ships to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

too complicated for a school lunch box.
    and not practical for my work lunch habits - I usually don't have time for one anyway.

• Advertisement

Everything ships to Ireland.

Well on that advert is clearly says DOES NOT SHIP TO IRELAND ..

I see that a lot on ebay etc too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Now I can have my own electric picnic.

Parcelwizard or Parcelmotel give you a virtual address in NI that gets around the not shipping to Ireland pain.

Parcelwizard or Parcelmotel give you a virtual address in NI that gets around the not shipping to Ireland pain.

Life out here is complicated enough without that ;) Not that I ever buy online anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's an odd one. I got a 22000mah powerbank (basically can recharge a phone, laptop, tablet, etc a good 7-8 times over so great for long flights, trips etc) the other week off eBay, which Amazon also stocked but would not ship to Ireland (they wouldn't even deliver to N.Ire via Parcel Motel which is often a great workaround).

When it arrived in Ireland on the postage tracker, it got held up for a day or so in customs checking but they sent it through fine in the end. So yeah most anything will ship to Ireland, just some retailers are at times frustratingly over-cautious about it. Possibly justified though; refunds for failed deliveries are usually a bastard to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Dial Hard wrote: »

Like my office, we don't have a microwave. We also only have one big toilet, and they make us all go at the same time.

Advertisement