Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question Re Clipless Pedals

Options
  • 29-08-2018 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Good morning folks!!

Can someone please recommend some clip-less pedals for a beginner?

Something that is easy to get in and out of, the fear being unable to get out of them on time during my work commute when I need to stop at lights or a junction!

Also, are there any type of covers to turn them into a regular pedal for when I just want to go to the shops or visit a mate without having to wear the cleats?

Lastly, what shoes would you recommend too? Are there any that are less rigid than the ones I see people wearing, easier to walk in?

thanks

frAg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

SPDs would be one of the main choices for you - they're often referred to as the mountain bike option.
    generally, the pedals are double sided SPD, but you can get pedals which are SPD one side, and 'flat' the other side; they're fairly easy to clip in and out of, and the shoes are generally easier to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use Shimano A530 pedals which fit the bill nicely.

SPD shoes are typically easier to walk in as the cleats are recessed but bike shoes are meant to have rigid soles to spread out the pressure on your foot as you pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Also, with SPDs you have the option of two different versions of the cleat, one is called single release (SM-SH51) the other is called multi release (SM-SH56). The latter is easier to unclip from as it allows you to clip out in multiple directions.

The downside of the multi release is that they increase the chances of unintentionally clipping out. The single release are already easy enough to clip in to/out of so I wouldn't recommend the multi release unless you are particularly nervous and then I'd see them as a stepping stone towards the single release.

When you buy pedals they'll come with a set of cleats, could be either of the above.

In terms of shoes, those with carbon soles are the most rigid, the rest will be some blend of plastics and will flex when you walk. The carbon-soled models tend to be at the upper end of the price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

frag420 wrote: »

Also, are there any type of covers to turn them into a regular pedal for when I just want to go to the shops or visit a mate without having to wear the cleats?

If you opt for the SPD-SL type of pedals, I have a pair of these that are handy for short trips. Also available for Look KEO pedals too.

product.php?image_id=96828&w=760&h=570

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I went with the SPD/flat pedals when I got my bike - I've virtually never used the flat side (I have a beater bike for going to the shops etc) and it just makes it annoying to clip in as you have to check which side is facing up. I've now bought regular double-side SPD pedals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Shimano xt t8000 pedals win for commuting.

Spd for the commute and properly pinned flats for the pub/potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have single side SPD pedals on my mountain bike, they’re perfect for what you need as you can wear regular shoes and use the non SPD side for short spins when you don’t want to have to put on cycling shoes. On the easiest setting they’re very easy to clip out of and once you get used to that you can increase the tension so that your a little more secure in them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice. I ordered these this afternoon...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AJK4XQS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any suggestions for a compatable non expensive shoe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

uh oh... they're SPD SL - they're not the same as SPD.
    SPD SL is the road specific pedal standard shimano make - it's not the same as SPD. can you cancel the order?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭plodder

If you opt for the SPD-SL type of pedals, I have a pair of these that are handy for short trips. Also available for Look KEO pedals too.

product.php?image_id=96828&w=760&h=570
    I have the Look Keo version of those. It's worth pointing out what you end up with is a top-heavy single-sided pedal. Every time you take your foot off they flip over and you have to learn to flip them back again .. every time. Also the platform is quite a bit smaller than a regular pedal. So, they're definitely only usable for short trips. My point being, if I were only using the bike for commuting I would just stick with regular pedals imho.

• Advertisement

uh oh... they're SPD SL - they're not the same as SPD.
    SPD SL is the road specific pedal standard shimano make - it's not the same as SPD. can you cancel the order?

They are arriving today...I guess I can return them though.

Could you explain the difference and benefits to the SPD you refer to, I’m a bit green with all this!

Thanks

plodder wrote: »
    I have the Look Keo version of those. It's worth pointing out what you end up with is a top-heavy single-sided pedal. Every time you take your foot off they flip over and you have to learn to flip them back again .. every time. Also the platform is quite a bit smaller than a regular pedal. So, they're definitely only usable for short trips. My point being, if I were only using the bike for commuting I would just stick with regular pedals imho.

Yep, agree with everything you have said which is why I said 'short trips'! They are particularly handy for zipping up and down the road after a bit of maintenance to make sure everything is working right.

Could you explain the difference and benefits to the SPD you refer to, I’m a bit green with all this!

Have a read of this and also watch this:

I started off on these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m324-clipless-spd-flat-mtb-pedals/rp-prod5937 which are great.

I had a pair of these as well, which were super comfy, if a little untrendy

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-mt3-mtb-spd-shoes-2018/rp-prod155243

If I were commuting all the time, I would buy the above pedals, with a pair of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/giro-rumble-vr-mtb-spd-shoes-2018/rp-prod144385

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lastly, what shoes would you recommend too? Are there any that are less rigid than the ones I see people wearing, easier to walk in?
    I'd say it depends? For commuting, look at "touring" shoes. I use Specialized Cadet that I picked up from a Bargain Alert here, with SPD cleats and pedals. They're comfy and reasonably enough looking that I can happily wear all day (usually when I forget to change to my work shoes!).

For longer spins, I'd look at something with a stiffer sole, but I would recommend SPD shoes for SPD pedals. These generally have the recessed cleat, which is why they're easier to walk in. A lot of lower end "Road" shoes can take both SPD and SPD-SL cleats, but I actually find SPD harder to clip in when I use them with road shoes without the recess.

Have a read of this and also watch this:

Thanks for the link and vid. The pedals just arrived. For a beginner is there anything wrong with the SPD SL pedals? Is it just a case of getting used to them?

Thinking on the shoes, I don't really mind if they have the solid sole as my trainers are light so I can carry them and switch out as soon as I lock up the bike at the office so wont be walking funny in the bike shoes!?

Thanks for the link and vid. The pedals just arrived. For a beginner is there anything wrong with the SPD SL pedals? Is it just a case of getting used to them?

Thinking on the shoes, I don't really mind if they have the solid sole as my trainers are light so I can carry them and switch out as soon as I lock up the bike at the office so wont be walking funny in the bike shoes!?

No, nothing wrong with them at all. As you say, it's just a matter of getting used to them. I would suggest setting the release tension on the pedals initially to the 'lightest' so you can clip out easily. Prop yourself on the bike against a wall (or between 2 wheelie bins works well too!) and practice clipping in and out lots before setting out for the first time. Try and anticipate when you may have to stop (approaching traffic lights for instance) and clip out early so you don't have a clip-out fail (which we all have at some point :o)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My first clip in's were SPD SL, and the pedals you're getting. They're fine. I actually find them easier to clip in to that the spd ones, but with a recessed sole, the spd are a bit more forgiving if you do miss. You also get used to walking in them, but consider cleat covers if the walking involves a wet, concrete, work car park. And just to protect the cleats a bit.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    You also get used to walking in them, but consider cleat covers if the walking involves a wet, concrete, work car park. And just to protect the cleats a bit.

Good call. I have these to aid my clip-clopping from the car park to the office. There are some slippy tiled sections too and they are quite grippy! Really saves the cleats too.

Thanks all for the replies!!

I think I will stick with the SPD SL and just get used to using them over the weekend before I commute into the office on Monday.

Going to go grab some shoes at lunchtime for the new clips too.

I will be sure to post pics of my first clip fall when it happens!!

frAg

• Advertisement

i was able to stop and kick a rogue football back into the football grounds in the naul recently, while wearing SPDs. would be interesting to try it in SPD SLs or looks.

i was able to stop and kick a rogue football back into the football grounds in the naul recently, while wearing SPDs. would be interesting to try it in SPD SLs or looks.

I think Arsenal or UTD may need you this season...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I commute using Spd-sl pedals and have a set of covers for the cleats to walk in, but the cleats still get worn. Once I arrive at work I have a 1km walk so I bought a pair of cheap “ workout” slip on shoes in Pennies and just change into them once I arrive at work

Advertisement