Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best value on a 95C temperature controlled kettle?

• 29-08-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

So my current kettle is on the way out, and I have read that water poured over coffee is best at a temperature below but as close to 96 degrees as possible.

Some of the temperature controlled kettles I have looked at online, relative to a normal kettle, are quite expensive.

Is there a bargain out there somewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure about bargains but you will eventually get your money back after a few years of reduced power consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I bought this last year, paid around 80 euro. I've had no trouble with it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

I got one in LIDL a while ago - about 20 euro IIRC.

Actually they have kettles right now so check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

I purchased one of the AEG ones when it was reduced on Amazon last Nov to circa £45 : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IM94C2I/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately I had to return it after a week as the temp function just wasn't reliable at all!

Ended up reverting back to a traditional kettle which I stop before it boils and I find that gives me a much closer result to the 95 degrees I use for brewing filter brewed coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I used a temp control kettle for years. When it finally gave up the ghost and I never got around to replacing it I started to just boil our regular kettle and let it sit for about a minute before brewing. This works perfectly for Aeropress. If I'm brewing pour over, (V60, Chemex or Kelita) I'll boil the kettle and then pour the boiling water into a gouseneck kettle. The transfer drops the temperature about enough for brewing. Coffee is every bit as good as with the temp control kettle. The only reason I can see for the temp kettle is if your brewing with much lower temperatures (90 degrees or below) but I think those that know about these thing are now saying you get a better extraction at higher tempature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bought this in 2014 for £21 from Amazon and it is still going strong, though the latest version seems to be closer to £50.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GHJN7GC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Advertisement