Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growvite

Options
  • 29-08-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Anyone ever use Growvite sheep, I've read that a trial in wales Produced a 22% increase in live lamb numbers. I was looking for advice for tupping ewes.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Look back at the way it's worded... the word things like that very smartly.... like if I lost 5 lambs this year and used growvite next year and lost 4 lambs that's a 20% increase in live lambs.... bad example but you get the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

The trial was carried out by the University of Wales and it showed that ewes produced a 22% increase in the number of lambs born alive from 143% to 165%.

But I am also skeptical of such products, maybe keeping ewes on the best grass I have until the tup is introduced in 4 weeks time is enough ? Was just wondering what people do to increase lambing %.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

OneMan37 wrote: »
    The trial was carried out by the University of Wales and it showed that ewes produced a 22% increase in the number of lambs born alive from 143% to 165%.

But I am also skeptical of such products, maybe keeping ewes on the best grass I have until the tup is introduced in 4 weeks time is enough ? Was just wondering what people do to increase lambing %.

Have ewes in as good condition as possible at mating.
    Use prolific ewes.
    Give a mineral dose aswell
    Vaccinate for abortion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

To me a 22% increase from 143 is 174%
    143 to 165 is 15% still a nice bump

Minerals are important when it comes to fertility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I used the product years back on a few lambs with poor trive. It worked very well but think is was expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

maybe keeping ewes on the best grass I have until the tup is introduced in 4 weeks time is enough ? 
    How many weeks prior to introducing the Ram do people normally flush their ewe's on good grass ?

Also, would you give the mineral dose at flushing or on introduction of the Ram and would ye go with a fluke and word dose at this time also ?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

I believe that ewes need to gain condition as quickly as possible after weaning. Oz studies has supported this theory. As ewes in v good condition have the best lambing %. I would think the optimum time to give a Vit drench such as growvite, would be 3 weeks prior to rams being introduced.

Advertisement