Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hybrid options for commute

Options
  • 29-08-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I've just gotten my 1000 certificate and was told by the shop that i can order any bike i want (also from internet and they'll get it from supplier). haven't cycled since my teens - the bike will be for the daily commute to work. (8.7 km * 2 - Mostly flat)

Any bikes you can recommend as i have no idea what i'm looking for? when i was in the shop i tried a few bikes and honestly couldn't tell the difference except for one belt drive that felt smooth and quite.

hoping to get lights, lock and helmet as well.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

There is no need to blow the full amount on the bike, esp for a commuter.
    Get a good lock also, best practice is spend at least 10% of the value of your bike.

My opinion (and what I did).
    I stayed away from hybrids with forks, these then to be heavy and for road cycling, mostly pointless.
    I got a bike with straight handle bars, felt I was not ready for drop bars.
    I got a bike with Hydrolic disc brakes, coming from a mountain bike background where these are common the stopping power is way better.

Try as many bikes as you can.
    I settled on an Orbea Vector 20, that's what worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Trek FX are great commute bikes, don't need a top end one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

italodisco wrote: »
    Trek FX are great commute bikes, don't need a top end one.

They most certainly are. I got the FX 4 at the start of the year. I had a road bike from the previous cycle to work scheme. I much prefer the trek for cycling in the city. The disc breaks are brilliant for control as well too and the seated position gives you a good all round view.

The thing about it is though, if you catch the cycling bug, you might wish that you got a road bike instead of a hybrid, so give it a bit of thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

I am in the same boat, looking at the giant escape 2 disc city??
    Any opinions would be great tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

I have the 2016 version of this bike: https://www.cube.eu/uk/2019/bikes/trekking/tour/travel/cube-travel-sl-iridiumngreen-2019/ which I love. Though it was ~1400. I'm a big fan of internal hubs for city cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Disk brakes are essential for wet weather. Get something with mudguards, rack, panniers, dynamo lights if possible. Scott do some nice city bikes. You should be getting good advice from you local bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Not sure if this is any use to you, but I have recently started cycling to work - 11km each way - having not cycled for 30-odd years. I bought a Giant ease-e electric bike and it’s great. If I can cycle that distance no bother then anyone can!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'll go against the grain and suggest getting a road bike. Within a week or two you'll be used to the drop bars and if you decide you want to do any cycling outside the commute you don't need to upgrade the bike or go spending more money on a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Disk brakes are essential for wet weather.

Not to confuse you OP, but they're not. They're a small bit better than other types of brakes. Most cyclists get along perfectly fine without them.

On the downside they'll add a hundred or two to the price of the bike. As well as that they can be a pain to maintain and expensive to fix. I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SheroP

Hi there
    Back again
    Just went up to local multi brand dealer to make purchase
    He’s after informing me that the Giant dealership has been removed from him as he could not commit to the sales target that had been imposed on him
    Any one hear anything like this ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Not to confuse you OP, but they're not. They're a small bit better than other types of brakes. Most cyclists get along perfectly fine without them.

On the downside they'll add a hundred or two to the price of the bike. As well as that they can be a pain to maintain and expensive to fix. I wouldn't bother.
    I have to disagree, the stopping power is not close.
    Check out the GCN video on them if you doubt me.
    I've never had any maintainence issue, just replaced the pads when needed.
    They are expensive but I think they are totally worth it.

To me they are like not owning a mobile, can you get along without one, sure, but as soon as you have one, you won't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Diemos wrote: »

To me they are like not owning a mobile, can you get along without one, sure, but as soon as you have one, you won't go back.

That's fine but they're far from essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'll go against the grain and suggest getting a road bike. Within a week or two you'll be used to the drop bars and if you decide you want to do any cycling outside the commute you don't need to upgrade the bike or go spending more money on a second one.

Was just commenting to suggest the opposite - I have 5 road bikes including an older one that I use for a similar distance commute and shorter rides around town. Was recently helping a neighbor maintain his Cube Hyde hybrid so used it for a few days to test it, and absolutely loved the ride position for such short spins. I find on the road bike that it is impossible to commute in work clothes at all, whereas this seemed fine once you kept the effort under control.

But the problem is now I need a new bike with hub gear and hydraulic discs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Thats fair enough, its all subjective. I prefer the position of a road bike, having moved from a hybrid after three years. I dont ever cycle in anything other than shorts and a cycling top though.

OP i would suggest asking a shop if you can take a bike for a short spin to get an idea and feel for both to help make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

thanks for the tips, i think i'll go with a hybrid with disc brakes. if i catch the bug i'd have to convince the missus to let me use her bike to work :D
    spent whole day looking - sold on this. horrible color, do they all come in same color or can i can get it in just black too?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

VW 1 wrote: »
    OP i would suggest asking a shop if you can take a bike for a short spin to get an idea and feel for both to help make a decision.
    I'd go further and ask for it overnight so you can get some kind of decent feel for it. A good bike shop should arrange this.

sold on this
    Hope I don't come up behind you on a wet day, given the lack of mudguards. You'll need to get mudguards and lights, maybe a rack too.

Or you could get a commuter bike for commuting.

Hope I don't come up behind you on a wet day, given the lack of mudguards. You'll need to get mudguards and lights, maybe a rack too.

Or you could get a commuter bike for commuting.
    :D I've a lot to learn. Do the mudguards make a big difference :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

thanks for the tips, i think i'll go with a hybrid with disc brakes. if i catch the bug i'd have to convince the missus to let me use her bike to work :D
    spent whole day looking - sold on this. horrible color, do they all come in same color or can i can get it in just black too?

Good choice, but cannodale Quick traditionally would be a lighter better value version of the escape , lighter = much better.

Disc brakes are a huge benefit in wet city traffic.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=100196

i've spent way too long looking at bikes :D
    ordering this in the morning -
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=116158

this lock any good?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=118572

i might pick up a helmet and a high vis jacket from amazon cause they seem expensive in that shop ...

any other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

i've spent way too long looking at bikes :D
    ordering this in the morning -
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=116158

this lock any good?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=118572

i might pick up a helmet and a high vis jacket from amazon cause they seem expensive in that shop ...

any other
    That lock isn't bad, but you can get stronger than 6/10 locks for €50. Kryptonite Evo Mini7 is only €1 dearer. Also, I bought a bike in Cycle Superstore last year and they threw in the €51 lock as part of the deal with only a small amount of arm twisting. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Mudguards are very very handy to have for commuting. Otherwise you'll have loads of dirty water sprayed up your backside and back and up into your face and into your shoes and socks, whenever the ground is wet. Essentially commuting without them in normal clothes is impossible whenever it's raining, which is obviously a lot in Ireland in autumn and winter.

You can get around not having them by wearing a waterproof jacket, trousers and shoe covers, when it's raining but really mudguards make life an awful lot easier and more pleasant while commuting by bike.

I personally prefer a rack and pannier bag (the type that clip onto the side of your rack) too while commuting, not the fastest option but by far the most comfortable and easiest way to carry things. But a good backpack will also do the job - the only downside being a sometimes sweaty back but the upside being you will probably be faster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I stayed away from hybrids with forks
    i assume you mean suspension?

TychoCaine wrote: »
    That lock isn't bad, but you can get stronger than 6/10 locks for €50. Kryptonite Evo Mini7 is only €1 dearer. Also, I bought a bike in Cycle Superstore last year and they threw in the €51 lock as part of the deal with only a small amount of arm twisting. ;)

how? please, do tell :o, I'll be onto to them during the day and hopefully pick up the bike after work if they have it in stock.

LennoxR wrote: »
    Mudguards are very very handy to have for commuting. Otherwise you'll have loads of dirty water sprayed up your backside and back and up into your face and into your shoes and socks, whenever the ground is wet. Essentially commuting without them in normal clothes is impossible whenever it's raining, which is obviously a lot in Ireland in autumn and winter.

You can get around not having them by wearing a waterproof jacket, trousers and shoe covers, when it's raining but really mudguards make life an awful lot easier and more pleasant while commuting by bike.

I personally prefer a rack and pannier bag (the type that clip onto the side of your rack) too while commuting, not the fastest option but by far the most comfortable and easiest way to carry things. But a good backpack will also do the job - the only downside being a sometimes sweaty back but the upside being you will probably be faster.

yeah just watched a few videos on fenders and they seem to be a must. I'll defo try get smaller ones :). not sure about panniers though, maybe once i have a bit of cycling experience...

yeah just watched a few videos on fenders and they seem to be a must. I'll defo try get smaller ones :). not sure about panniers though, maybe once i have a bit of cycling experience...

Yeah not as essential as mudguards. But still handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

:D I've a lot to learn. Do the mudguards make a big difference :eek:

Front mudgards make all the difference in the rain, to you,
    rear mudgards might help those around you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've been on 2 hire bikes with disks and they were nowhere as good as my v-brake mtb
    both wouldn't lock up back wheel.

Front mudgards make all the difference in the rain, to you,
    rear mudgards might help those around you

Not sure I'd agree with that. Of the two I'd say the rear mudguard is more important for keeping you clean and dry. Best to get both though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

how? please, do tell :o, I'll be onto to them during the day and hopefully pick up the bike after work if they have it in stock.
    Ask! Traditionally retailers have always been willing to give discounts. The sticker price has extra margin built in to allow for this, and for the people buying through 3rd party cycle to work management schemes who take 10% off the top. If you're a cash buyer, or your employer is paying by check, then they're making twice as much profit as normal. Cube have *9* dealers in Dublin. Make a few phone calls. I've personally bought bikes off 2 of the dealers on Cube's list and haven't paid full retail either time.

Advertisement