Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hybrid options for commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I'm looking at one of the older Boardman hybrids - the 2014 team one. What are people's thoughts on it as a first time commuter buying his first bike in - oh I don't know - 15 years? It's second hand but seems as new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you can use the cycle to work scheme its not worth going second hand. Unless you want to keep it for a more expensive bike.
    If you don't have cycle to work available.

2nd hand its all about condition. I find a lot of used commuters have been abused and been through all weathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

beauf wrote: »
    If you can use the cycle to work scheme its not worth going second hand. Unless you want to keep it for a more expensive bike.
    If you don't have cycle to work available.

2nd hand its all about condition. I find a lot of used commuters have been abused and been through all weathers.

Can't use the cycle to work scheme I'm afraid, but as you said - when I am able to use it, I'll go for a better, new bike. This purchase is my first foray into cycling since I was a kid so I don't want to break the bank.

Condition wise, its only been used a handful times so it's practically as new. My only concern is that with hydraulic disc brakes, is there anything I should look for in a 4 year old bike that hasn't been used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd get it serviced by your local bike shop. Give it the once over. you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've been on 2 hire bikes with disks and they were nowhere as good as my v-brake mtb
    both wouldn't lock up back wheel.

Sounds like they weren't adjusted properly - both v-brakes and discs can lock up any wheel in any situation with any weight behind them, but when out of adjustment or contaminated, any brake (but especially discs) will be awful.

For the OP, discs provide more power and better modulation, but v-brakes still provide enough power for all situations.

In the wet, discs are a bit better, but good v-brakes with good pads are still perfectly fine.

An advantage of hydraulic disc brakes is that they self-adjust as the pads wear, which of course means that cable-discs and v-brakes need more maintenance to keep things sharp as the pads wear.

TL;DR: If you can afford to splash out a bit more, get hydraulic discs for better power and modulation, and slightly lower maintenance, but if you prefer to distribute your budget elsewhere, get decent v-brakes and enjoy the better lock/rainwear/whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

UPDATE I picked up a Cube SL Road yesterday. I was surprised to find out that almost all shops in Dublin don't have new medium hybrids for sale. You have to order and wait 3 weeks for most brands.

Aside - I cycled to work and back this morn --- and me backside is so sore! Is this normal? Should I continue cycling through/seek medical help??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

UPDATE I picked up a Cube SL Road yesterday. I was surprised to find out that almost all shops in Dublin don't have new medium hybrids for sale. You have to order and wait 3 weeks for most brands.

Aside - I cycled to work and back this morn --- and me backside is so sore! Is this normal? Should I continue cycling through/seek medical help??

Thanks

I would say cycle through. Your back side will toughen up!
    But if the pain lasts more than a day or two, you might want to look at adjusting your saddle height and position on the bike. And it's possible you might want to invest in a more comfy saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thanks

This is why cyclists wear cycling shorts / leggings , they have padding which acts like a second saddle. Wear them under other clothes if you don't like the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

TychoCaine wrote: »
    how? please, do tell :o, I'll be onto to them during the day and hopefully pick up the bike after work if they have it in stock.
    Ask! Traditionally retailers have always been willing to give discounts. The sticker price has extra margin built in to allow for this, and for the people buying through 3rd party cycle to work management schemes who take 10% off the top. If you're a cash buyer, or your employer is paying by check, then they're making twice as much profit as normal. Cube have *9* dealers in Dublin. Make a few phone calls. I've personally bought bikes off 2 of the dealers on Cube's list and haven't paid full retail either time.

Looking at getting a Giant kids bike, tried a fews dealers and none the would give a discount, looking at sending 350-450 and was getting nothing off list price , is this normal no competition between them?

Advertisement